Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
The longer Illinois stays in this tournament the greater the distaste with which it will be remembered

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Illinois has shot like ooop from three, the line, and in foul trouble the entire game

Iowa State is so loving bad

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
The rare alley-airball

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=
An Illinois player made both free throws :siren:

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

I'm struggling to stay awake. Stupid super late games

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

gently caress off ISU what a lazy loving pass.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Iowa state you loving poo poo cloggers

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group
Iowa State fundamentally does not want to win

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

God this game made me mad. ISU just totally loving up on offense.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=
Illinois will have the honor of being the next team trounced by UCONN :toot:

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Hopefully UConn dismantles them on Saturday

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
Illini were 7 of 27 from 3 when they finally hit a few, and 8 of 20? At the ft line before closing it out just barely.

Good lord my stomach was tense that entire second half. I can't believe ISU blew that one layup off the steal and later the alley oop

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)
House money game coming up.

I have a Bruce Weber avatar.

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

gvibes posted:

House money game coming up.

I have a Bruce Weber avatar.

Jesus Christ you really do. I maintain he got screwed by Self leaving. Yes I am old. Was in college the last time Illinois made sweet 16. So tired

Cholmondeley
Sep 28, 2006

New World Orderly
Nap Ghost
Basketball is a stupid game and I hate it.

RJ Davis and Caleb Love made a secret pact that if one of them tanked their team, the other had to do it too.

Noobles
Aug 17, 2004

Cholmondeley posted:

RJ Davis and Caleb Love made a secret pact that if one of them tanked their team, the other had to do it too.

Yeah it was incredible to see RJ Davis just constantly going for 3 pointers and completely goofing them up every single time. I just don’t understand the logic of

“Well, the last 8 times in a row that I’ve tried for a 3 pointer I missed and basically handed the ball over to the other team. Let me try the same thing again a 9th time, surely this will be different!”

OPAONI
Jul 23, 2021

Cholmondeley posted:

My theory is that the basketball gods cursed UNC for laughing at a cold Caleb Love game with a cold RJ game.

Honestly it doesn't hurt that much - so long as UCONN was in the tourney I didn't think UNC would get past them, and we've clearly been a step or two behind the other one seeds this year with occasional displays of ineptitude.

There were bright spots and issues this season. With a few glaring exceptions, UNC was generally able to make adjustments at the half for success in the last 20 minutes of a game. We utterly failed to do that against Alabama, true, but otherwise we did it mostly consistently. I attribute that to good coaching.

Bacot leaving is, honestly, a bright spot for me, despite his stats. He was too often an offensive liability. He couldn't really do anything against another big that was somewhat skilled, but feasted against smaller teams. He was never good enough that the game could run through him but often we played like it could.

I think we'll be in contention going forward. Who knows? If the stars align and our recruiting comes through, in two or three years we might be right back in as a 1-seed.

College basketball is a game of constantly evolving agony and worry with the occasional triumph. I love it more than anything else.

Now I need Duke and State to also lose. Thank you.

OPAONI fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Mar 29, 2024

OPAONI
Jul 23, 2021
Quote is not edit

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Enderzero posted:

Jesus Christ you really do. I maintain he got screwed by Self leaving. Yes I am old. Was in college the last time Illinois made sweet 16. So tired

I was at Illinois during the Bill Self era :corsair:

It was also the time when Kurt Kittner won the Big Ten for Illinois, but they didn't go to the Rose Bowl because the Rose Bowl was the national championship game that year. So they had to play against LSU in New Orleans, which is hardly a neutral site.

Insertnamehere31
Jan 23, 2012

This could be the most one-sided fight since 1973 when Ali faced an eighty-foot tall mechanical Joe Frazier. My memory isn't what it used to be, but I think the entire Earth was destroyed.

Noobles posted:

Yeah it was incredible to see RJ Davis just constantly going for 3 pointers and completely goofing them up every single time. I just don’t understand the logic of

“Well, the last 8 times in a row that I’ve tried for a 3 pointer I missed and basically handed the ball over to the other team. Let me try the same thing again a 9th time, surely this will be different!”

Shooters shoot, baby

Noobles
Aug 17, 2004

Insertnamehere31 posted:

Shooters shoot, baby

“You miss 100% of the shots you don’t take. Also 100% of the shots you DO take.” -RJ Davis

I get it but I feel like they could have at least pushed in for more 2’s and maybe got some fouls in their favor along the way.

OPAONI
Jul 23, 2021

Noobles posted:

“You miss 100% of the shots you don’t take. Also 100% of the shots you DO take.” -RJ Davis

I get it but I feel like they could have at least pushed in for more 2’s and maybe got some fouls in their favor along the way.

The coaching and playcalling in the 2nd half weren't good. Shame it was a game that mattered a whole lot.

Cholmondeley
Sep 28, 2006

New World Orderly
Nap Ghost

OPAONI posted:

The coaching and playcalling in the 2nd half weren't good. Shame it was a game that mattered a whole lot.

Bacot blowing that dunk was obviously huge, as well as Withers attempting that 3.

In general, I think Hubert has us headed in a good direction, and I think it will be good for him to start with a fresh batch of recruits.

OPAONI
Jul 23, 2021

Cholmondeley posted:

Bacot blowing that dunk was obviously huge, as well as Withers attempting that 3.

In general, I think Hubert has us headed in a good direction, and I think it will be good for him to start with a fresh batch of recruits.

Yes.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Trainers just spent a huge amount of time removing a Notre Dame player's nose piercing with terrifying looking scissor-things

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Poque posted:

Trainers just spent a huge amount of time removing a Notre Dame player's nose piercing with terrifying looking scissor-things

https://twitter.com/TheAthletic/status/1773799742381732096

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
First wrong thread post of the baseball season, midseason form already

elentar fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Mar 29, 2024

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

https://twitter.com/abovethebreak3/status/1773783152877551719?s=46&t=2RtKUZF-7mtwaGnhOLp93A

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Lol Indiana within 2 of SC with like a minute to go

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Can't wait for America's Biggest Boy to dismantle Marquette

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

This is a fun game so far

Noobles
Aug 17, 2004

PostNouveau posted:

Can't wait for America's Biggest Boy to dismantle Marquette

Yesssss I am pumped

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I feel like I'm watching the Badgers all over again, Wisconsin solidarity.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Diarra is hardcore, fasting for Ramadan and still playing

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Why is there no fans on the NC State side?

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
I am nervous.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Bullshit foul on Burns there

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
Burns rules.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=
The time has come

To Boiler Up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
:lol: went to evaluate it for a flagrant and had to overturn it completely and call it on the defender