Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

quote:

Colton came out of the closet to say:
"code 6.. fire... fire? gently caress poo poo drat!"

This thread, especially the line above and the post it's in, is just that much better with Iron Maiden's "2 Minutes To Midnight" in the background.

Gold. This is loving great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RusteJuxx
Jul 14, 2001

College Slice

quote:

4) I met the black messiah
This one next please.
These are wonderful!

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*
OK some quick psychiatry questions with reference to the differences between UK and USA. Sorry for the mini derail.

1- Are there compulsory treatment orders in the USA? If someone is felt to be a risk to themselves or others and has a mental illness and is refusing treatment or hospital admission, can they be detained against their will and treated against their will? In the UK we have the Mental Health Act 1983 which covers this is there simialr in USA?

2- Seeing as mechanical restarint is used- is there any use of chemical restraint? ie intravenous medication such as Diazemuls (Diazepam Emulsion) given until the patient lapses into unconsciousness? (this is only used in an emergency)

3- Is the use of Atypical Antipsychotics increasing massivley in the US, is droperidol still licensed for use? Whats the treatment of choice in psychosis in your experience?

If you cant answer them dont worry- I just am interested.
I may post some stories too if you don't mind

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Serjeant Snubbin
Feb 1, 2002

Pillbug

Serjeant Snubbin fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Apr 27, 2003

NOISEassault
Sep 2, 2002

Technical Difficulties Superstation!
Hamtastic!! More please

cyberbully
Feb 10, 2003

quote:

Serotonin came out of the closet to say:
OK some quick psychiatry questions with reference to the differences between UK and USA. Sorry for the mini derail.

1- Are there compulsory treatment orders in the USA? If someone is felt to be a risk to themselves or others and has a mental illness and is refusing treatment or hospital admission, can they be detained against their will and treated against their will? In the UK we have the Mental Health Act 1983 which covers this is there simialr in USA?

2- Seeing as mechanical restarint is used- is there any use of chemical restraint? ie intravenous medication such as Diazemuls (Diazepam Emulsion) given until the patient lapses into unconsciousness? (this is only used in an emergency)

3- Is the use of Atypical Antipsychotics increasing massivley in the US, is droperidol still licensed for use? Whats the treatment of choice in psychosis in your experience?
1. Yes
2. Yes, seen and/or heard this happen numerous times. Quite scary.
3. From what I know of, yes to the first question and I don't know the second. I hear a ton of people saying they're on risperdal and I was even on it for a short period of time, despite not being schizophrenic.

cult_hero
Jul 10, 2001

quote:

from my experience (my mother is a supervising shift nurse at the state run, in patient psychiatric hospital, so I know a little bit, but can't give exact answers as I'm not a doctor) there are several "levels" of restraint, the first being the revocation of privledges, then "time out" or seclusion, then physical restraint by staff members, then mechanical restraint, but only for a certain amount of time (I think 2 hours) without a doctors order, at that point chemical restraint can be given, I think atavan (sp) is the usual drug of choice.

I was just a janitor, and this only what I recall from growing up around people in psychiatric care.

Dan
Nov 26, 2002

Victim of reality

quote:

Please do, zany work stories are :cool:

Dracnor
Feb 13, 2003

oh look it is a a DRAGON RAR RAR
Oh god, the "SAVE THE BANANAS!" almost killed me!

I'm going to hell...

Drunk & Ugly
Feb 10, 2003

GIMME GIMME GIMME, DON'T ASK WHAT FOR

quote:

Please do so.
Stories about crazy people are 10x more entertaining when they're from the UK, cause I can pretend they're all speaking with a thick, thick Scottish accent

Speaking of which, that makes me kinda curious as to what victims of Tourette Syndrome (and I know they're not "crazy"), yell in other countries

WANKER-CRUMPET ARSEPETROL!
Do cockney's with Tourette's rhyme their outspurts?
Hmmmm.

i_am_the_hydra
Feb 1, 2001
I've never worked in a mental hospital (though I've checked people into them before; long story) but I've spent a lot of time going through patient records of people who have been mental hospitals before (I have done a lot of historical research on various aspects of life in mental hospitals from the turn of the century through the 1960s). It's pretty weird stuff. If you think these stories are strange now, imagine how they would have been to people in 1899, the 1920s, the 1940s, the 1950s. The restraints now may seem uncomfortable but heck, they aren't removing half of their brain, while giving them electroshock, after giving them insulin shock, after sterilizing them. yow.

Anyway I was going to post my favorite transcript of a patient interview but I can't find it at the moment. Maybe I'll find it later (false, tricksy computer, hiding my precious transcript).

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*

quote:

Drunk & Ugly came out of the closet to say:

Please do so.
Stories about crazy people are 10x more entertaining when they're from the UK, cause I can pretend they're all speaking with a thick, thick Scottish accent

Well actually around my way the two predominamt accents are West Country- non UK goons imagine the stereotypical English peasant accent, and Jamaican. Its an interesting mix.

OK story one is actually a redux (from a very long tme back on SA but I will repeat it seeing as I havent much time ).

One night we had a referral from an Accident and Emergency room (ER ) in Wales, they had hada guy brought in to them with extensive injuries and who they thought was suffering from some sort of mental illness. His injuries were extensive and most unpleasant and I will tell you the story as recounted to me by the A&E doc.
This guy who lived in my city, hailed a taxi and asked to be taken to Cardiff (about 50 miles away), the cab driver thought nothing of it and proceeded on his merry way. After a while, the taxi driver felt most uncomfortable with his passenger sat behid him- who was ignoring all his attempts at converstaion, and the onyl sounds comign fromthe rear of the cab were fidgeting noises. As this continued he herad little moans and gasps from the back, lookign in his rear view mirror he saw his fare rummaging in his underwear and groaning.
Thinking he had picked up some sort of pervert aroused by taxi drivers he screamed to a halt, and threw the back door open , with the thought of dragging ther passenger out and dumping himon the side of the road- taxi drivers get pissed off enough with drunks vomitting in their taxis let alone cracking one off. Spunk is hard to get out of car upholstery.
What met his gaze as the door was thrown open was entirley unexpected- the back seat was awash with blood as was the the guys trousers. The taxi driver quickly called the cops and an ambulance.
This guy with no previous evidence of menatal illness had decided that it would be a good idea to remove his own testicles. With his fingernails. Yep, he had torn open his own scrotum and plucked each teste out by hand - the ambulance crew found them in his coat pocket.
Whilst awaiting to see the duty psychiatrist at the A&E he had found a pen, removed the interior, snapped it, and used the broken shards to then attempt to remove his penis by sawing it off with the broken plastic. When the A&E staff saw this , the man panicked and attempted to run off, fleeing the buildign and runnign straight under a passing ambulance, breaking hsi arm.
The funny thing was that despite him being asessed on our psych unit for about 4 weeks, we never came to any firm diagnosis for his mental illness, and he left the ward on no medication other than male hormones, and we never saw him again.
By the way- you have never lived* until you have to pack out an empty scrotum with abosrbant dressings.

* I lie.

----------------

Serotonin fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Apr 11, 2003

deadpixel
Aug 5, 2001

Ask me about church burnings!
^^^ holy loving poo poo.

quote:

Colten came out of the closet to say:

So I looked on the back of my name tag where there's a small list of what the codes mean.

"hmmm.. code blue... nope.. code STAT.. nope... code 6.. fire... fire? gently caress poo poo drat!"

I completely lost it when I got to this part; funny funny poo poo. Looking forward to hearing more stories.

Also Dracnor, what the hell is your avatar? I've stared at it for a few minutes and still can't make out what it is.

deadpixel fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Apr 11, 2003

byron1
Sep 24, 2002
That was incredibly funny.

Definite 5. Have you considered doing contributor work for magazines in your spare time? I do this as a side-job, and can't write half as well as you. And I did an English honours degree...

Dracnor
Feb 13, 2003

My avatar... Well, several years ago, I tried (failed) to learn to make animated gifs. This was my first attempt, shrunken quite a bit. It sort of has sentimental value I guess, plus it puzzles whoever looks at it :p

Also, more please.

Edit: vvvvvvvvv Hey! Somebody can make it out!

Dracnor fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Apr 11, 2003

Jun 27, 2002

Carrion Fairy

quote:

dedpixhl came out of the closet to say:

Also Dracnor, what the hell is your avatar? I've stared at it for a few minutes and still can't make out what it is.

It's some kind of RPG character with a waving cape who aims and fires a wand of some kind at the viewer.

Hell is just a word.

Liberty_MI
Jun 7, 2002

You can protect yourself from Radioactive Fallout... get the facts! From your Civil Defense Director.
I can never forgive you guys for what you did to Randal P McMurphy.

EdgePak
Mar 14, 2002

by Fistgrrl

quote:

666 came out of the closet to say:

It's some kind of RPG character with a waving cape who aims and fires a wand of some kind at the viewer.

It's not an RPG character, it's a female commonplace Vampire (Vampiricus Normalus) with a B cup aiming and shooting a 9mm Beretta at the viewer. The bullets also appear to be hollowpoints, but it's hard to see inside the barrel.

----------------

Jun 27, 2002

Carrion Fairy

quote:

EdgePak came out of the closet to say:

It's not an RPG character, it's a female commonplace Vampire (Vampiricus Normalus) with a B cup aiming and shooting a 9mm Beretta at the viewer. The bullets also appear to be hollowpoints, but it's hard to see inside the barrel.

FINISH
THE loving
STORY

What happened man? WHAT ABOUT THE GLANDS?

Hell is just a word.

Bubble Monkey
Feb 10, 2003

quote:

OctoberMooN came out of the closet to say:
Why don't I have an exciting job?
Bud Dwyer Sig
That quote along with your sig is hilarious.

By the way, great stories. "Save the Bananas" earns a 5 alone. If I weren't at school, I'd be all over that macro.

EdgePak
Mar 14, 2002

by Fistgrrl

quote:

666 came out of the closet to say:
FINISH THE loving STORY
What happened man? WHAT ABOUT THE GLANDS?

I refuse to hijack - i am still desperately hoping that more stories of psychotic glory are on their way

EDIT: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=472387 ... i can explain the rest here if you want

----------------

EdgePak fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Apr 11, 2003

Tyrian
Sep 2, 2002
NEEDS MORE FIESTACAT! DUHHHR
More stories! I command it!

HERE

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

quote:

Dracnor came out of the closet to say:
My avatar... Well, several years ago, I tried (failed) to learn to make animated gifs. This was my first attempt, shrunken quite a bit. It sort of has sentimental value I guess, plus it puzzles whoever looks at it :p

Edit: vvvvvvvvv Hey! Somebody can make it out!
I got it the first time I saw it. It's a Counselor-type demon from Diablo doing its "attack" animation, with your username in the background. :p

Great thread, btw.

Liberty_MI
Jun 7, 2002

You can protect yourself from Radioactive Fallout... get the facts! From your Civil Defense Director.
I have a cousin who pulled out one of his eyes, well.. he sorta mostly smashed it up and drug it out, because god told him that it was better to pluck out your eyes than look at a woman with lust in your heart.. He says god wants the other one, but he cant have it.

Tyrian
Sep 2, 2002
NEEDS MORE FIESTACAT! DUHHHR
More stories! I command it!

HERE

Phrederick
Sep 25, 2000

quote:

No more balls
I remember that story. I cringe just thinking about it.

Colton: Great stories. I'd like to hear about the black messiah and the poo poo of his life.

deadpixel
Aug 5, 2001

Ask me about church burnings!

quote:

MMAgCh came out of the closet to say:
I got it the first time I saw it. It's a Counselor-type demon from Diablo doing its "attack" animation, with your username in the background. :p

I could make out that it was some figure wielding a staff of sorts (and the first thing I thought of was Diablo once I saw it), but I was lost beyond that. Interesting. :)

Dracnor
Feb 13, 2003

quote:

:eek:

Graves
Feb 10, 2002

Ask me about the time I posted a thread in GBS with a full confession on how I stabbed a man to death with my pocket knife

quote:

and yes, I have even more stories if you liked this one:
1) The night adult psych went up in flames
2) The night Hurricane Lili hits the mental ward
3) "hey, what color are your panties?"

I'd like all three sir. loving quality. Thank you and 5+++ would read again.

Korwen
Feb 26, 2003

don't mind me, I'm just out hunting.

I am now late for Business law, thank you. 5

The Hambassador
Apr 1, 2002
Please tell some stories about working the midnight shift on the nymphomaic ward.

subx
Jan 12, 2003

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

quote:

Great thread, btw.

Good call on both accounts, I didn't notice the name part :o And I thought it was the warcraft 3 Necro hero dude, but maybe it is diablo, shrug hehe.

Remember to save the banana's and don't go near old ladies. 5.

Phrederick
Sep 25, 2000

quote:

Liberty_MI came out of the closet to say:
I can never forgive you guys for what you did to Randal P McMurphy.

I just finisher reading that "One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest". That's a depressing book.

Away Message
Apr 8, 2003

drat, I LOVE these threads. :keke: Automatic five.

Feather
Mar 1, 2003
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Funny drat stories, especially about the bananas. In tribute, and to practice some photoshop skills, I offer this image. (Yeah yeah, it's weak; so sue me.)

Der Penguingott
Dec 27, 2002

i'm a k1ck3n r4d d00d
"soothe me with promises of what kinds of carnal delights await me in the land of aborted jesus fetuses and sunbeams"
Between this and "SAVE THE BANNANA'S!", all i can say is...

5! (and i love you*)

*not gay

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

quote:

Dracnor came out of the closet to say:
Oh god, the "SAVE THE BANANAS!" almost killed me!

Someone must make a 'save the bananas' macro. Also:

http://www.petitiononline.com/bananas1/petition.html

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

quote:

pogue23 came out of the closet to say:
alright...

why wasnt she sedated and restrained?

i call bullshit on this story.. sorry

SHEEEEEEENANIGANS!!!

Hospitals are happy places, our psychos aren't allowed to be restrained unless their a dnager to themselves or others. And then there's a cubic assload of paperwork to fill out. Unfortunatly it makes sense that in order for a person to heal and adapt to society, they need to be unrestrained and free to move about. Thank god I work in ICU, the minute one of these whackjobs start to act up, the soft wrist restraints go on to "protect their IV lines".

Magical Happy Hospital Stories:
Explodey Face! MEGAPOST American Hero! Black out!

Night of the Bloody Dead

Super_weevil
Feb 24, 2003

quote:

and yes, I have even more stories if you liked this one:
1) The night adult psych went up in flames
2) The night Hurricane Lili hits the mental ward
3) "hey, what color are your panties?"

and more, to be posted when I remember them all

YES...and...

quote:

John_A_Tallon came out of the closet to say:
Good story, SA Goons' work-related storys are the best.

pretty much sums up my response. Oh yeah, and 5.

Yeah I know what you're thinking....you're thinking...He can't possibly know what the hell I'm thinking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Branneth
Nov 19, 2002
Ask me about how I broke my phone's faggot screen.

quote:

even today, all someone has to do is say "save the bananas!" and I piss myself laughing so hard...

I shall remember this...

Oh yes, for those of you who called Shenani-poos, Colton happens to be a good friend of mine. I get to hear all of these stories first hand, and they're loving funny in person.

One more thing, Colton, tell them about "The Dancing Jesus." And tell them about the kid who got admitted with the "black bag."

quote:

"Ohhhhhhh, it's a Kenmore!"

Branneth fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Apr 11, 2003