Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
CasperX
Feb 20, 2001
In a computer architecture class a few years back we went over binary, hex, and octal number systems. In hex, there are 16 values that can be represented by a single digit, so you use A-F as well as 0-9. Well, the professor said that since it was an abstract concept you could in theory use whatever symbols you wanted to represent the extra digits as long as you explained your new number system. I decided to take him up on this, so on the test I used the Batman symbol instead of B, and a few others that I can't recall, but I made sure that I wrote down what they represented. I got marked a 0 on that question, but after class I explained myself to the prof and he gave me full marks. On a later test in the same class, there was a question along the lines of "How does a PCI bus manage devices on the bus?" My friend couldn't remeber the right answer, so he drew a stick figure at a desk labelled "PCI manager", with this manager telling a bunch of other stick figures to go do some work. I thought it was rather funny at the time. I think the professor gave him half a point out of five on the question, out of pity or humor, I'm not quite sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU