Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Lumberjill
Jun 29, 2003
America Jr.... eh?
She needs queer eye.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tobben
Oct 22, 2003

quote:

Kurt_Cobain came out of the closet to say:
May i ask, what happened to the husband/your father?

He's probably in there somewhere... ;)

BDA7DD
Jan 21, 2001

by Tiny Fistpump
Thread loving delivered. Holy poo poo, and I thought my mom was nuts.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Adjectivist Philosophy
Oct 6, 2003

When you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss also gazes into you.
slowly start selling ebay mystery boxes on ebay for $10. she wont notice at first, and if she asks you where its been going, say its her mind playing a trick on her. this is what I would do.

Martin Random
Jul 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Best of both worlds: Start selling mystery boxes to goons for $50 a piece, but in order to prevent your mother from noticing replace them with boxes full of twigs.

----------------

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
Here is my suggestion:

Start by taking all tof her boxes from your room and throwing them out.

When she bitches to you about how she can't wait for you to move out, SLAP HER IN THE loving FACE AS HARD AS YOU CAN. Seriously, not kidding. I also recommend this to all goons who have insane relatives - they are insane, they won't listen to arguments, don't give up and let them destroy their life, HIT THEM! If she threatens to call the police, threaten to have her locked up in an institution.

Then yell at her. Tell her that if I move out, who will make sure she doesn't die if a pile collapses on top opf her? You won't - tell her that if she makes you you move out you will never ever, go to see her again until she gets rid of all of it.

Also, break her computer, or cut the network capability. slice the cable in two. She won't be able to connect since the socket is buried 20 feet away under 2 tons of poo poo.

Take a bunch outside and have a bonfire, once again hitting her if she protests. It's like a four-year old. They won't listen to anything unless you give tehm a spanking.

Don't give up, and let her continue this way, don't give in. She's not sane.

BDA7DD
Jan 21, 2001

by Tiny Fistpump

quote:

Stabbey_the_Clown came out of the closet to say:
It's like a four-year old. They won't listen to anything unless you give tehm a spanking.

Teaching children at a young age that violence is the solution to problems is a wonderful form of parenting. :rolleyes:

----------------

StraightRazor
Jul 11, 2002

quote:

Martin Random came out of the closet to say:
Best of both worlds: Start selling mystery boxes to goons for $50 a piece, but in order to prevent your mother from noticing replace them with boxes full of twigs.

Oh hell!!! That's really a good idea, actually, if you change it a little.

So, Knormal... you think you could empty the contents of the boxes a little at a time and replace them with bricks or newspaper or something? Then, when you've done a LOT of it, like say the living room and the kitchen or her room, while she's there start opening the boxes and showing her that she's been buying nothing all this time. She will become dissillusioned about eBay and online buying, hopefully. If not, she'll try to instigate fraud actions on all those sellers. They will label her a bad account and ban her from eBay.

Barring that, just go in and start opening boxes and destroying the contents.

Or, if it's possible, get one of those pre-built sheds. You can get a used one for under 100 bux I think. Or maybe just use your room. Anyway, tell her that you guys are going to start auctioning your stuff off. Clean it up and take the pictures. Then start selling the poo poo.

I am somewhat of a packrat. I keep things I think might be collectible. So far, I have been right about a lot of it. I have the entire first three series of GI Joes starting in 1982. Anyway, once I had a collectible record set that I gave to a girl. Elvis 45's on colored vinyl. Looking back it was a bad idea. She turned out not to be such a good friend and that set is valuable. Then I had to put it in perspective: if those records are worth as much as 100 bux now, that's not a lot of money, in the grand scheme. I'm spending 120 times that much on tuition per semester right now. In the grand scheme, those collectibles aren't worth much.

What I have found is that when you have collected something, especially a lot of junk, it feels like it is a marker for your life. She may not feel like she's noticed unless there's something to mark her existence. She just wants stuff and telling you it's valuable is supposed to rationalize it to you. So she keeps her stuff and feels like she has a personality now, or an existence. Yet, since it's not real and it's not fulfilling, she has to buy more, hoping to fill whatever void is there. It's very similar to drug addiction.

Having worked with a lot of addicts and seen people quit everything from coffee to heroin, I know that quitting requires 2 things: 1) that person has to want to quit and be sick of what they are doing and 2) they MUST quit cold turkey. You mom may be sick of what she's doing, but it's such a part of her it would seem dishonest or unseemly to stop and change. Imagine having defended this lifestyle all this time and suddenly the shame of admitting to everyone (who knows about it) that, "Yea; I've basically been a nutjob for the past couple years."

Radical change and support are needed followed closely by steady therapy, in my uneducated, officious opinion. Your mom has a nice smile and I bet she's a great person. I also feel like you made this thread hoping for ideas and motivation. Honestly, if I didn't have my crushing student loan debt, I'd spend part of my Christmas vacation flying out to help you clean this place up. Having worked in bands for years as well as UPS in undergrad, I can pack the poo poo out of a truck. I also have a Class-A CDL. We could rent a semi and be done in a day, although I really think it'll only take a straight truck if you pack it correctly. But then that's daydreaming.

At any rate, I'm glad to see you are taking this seriously and getting your mom some help. I am certain she'll thank you for it in the end. By the way; your mom's not a bad person and probably not "insane." She just has a quirk that is debilitating and actually dangerous to her health and yours. Good luck with it all.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

quote:

BDA7DD came out of the closet to say:

Teaching children at a young age that violence is the solution to problems is a wonderful form of parenting. :rolleyes:

Teaching them that if they whine and cry long enough they'll always get their way is worse. Physical discipline is important.

Sekhmet
Nov 16, 2001

quote:

Lord Hawking came out of the closet to say:

This looked exactly like my grandmother's (paternal) house. It was about at this stage when my grandfather had to be put in a home, and it only worsened as the next couple of years went by. To top it all off, my grandma was a cat lady. She had something like 6 cats at one point, as well as this old poodle.

poo poo, 6 cats is nothing. I've been involved in a cleanup of well over 25 cats. All related, and still breeding with each other. Wild as gently caress and making GBS threads all over the house.

I agree that while this isn't as bad as the animal hoarding, it's pretty bad. It's not like her intentions are horrible, but that is not a healthy environment. I had an ex-boyfriend whose father did this, but with medieval and antique stuff. At least he kept it out of his kids' rooms though, man...

General351
Mar 16, 2003
amazing thread, i put the first post/pix in a pdf file (with pix embedded and not linked) and sent this to all my non-SA friends

knormal, thank you for sharing this with us

i am now cleaning up my place and will make a point to throw/give away things i dont need

OMGWTFBBQ
May 25, 2004
Forums Witchbutcher

quote:

BDA7DD came out of the closet to say:

Because as we all know four year olds have a matured sense of right and wrong, and you can easily reason with a four year old. :rolleyes:

Stay on topic.

SpookyTurtle
Jun 13, 2003

Top of the food chain, Ma!
Knormal, dude, your bedroom is a loving MESS!

If you don't get it cleared up immediately, your mother is going to have no choice but to ground you, and that means no allowance, either.

Also: I suspect that those pictures represent a physical incarnation of my harddrives. It makes me want to format the bad away.

inf7
Feb 16, 2003

Perhaps my best years are gone but I wouldn’t want them back, not with the fire in me now.
Holy OCD!

Jendawn13
Oct 4, 2001

Oooh, look at the purty colors!!

quote:

StraightRazor came out of the closet to say:
So she keeps her stuff and feels like she has a personality now, or an existence. Yet, since it's not real and it's not fulfilling, she has to buy more, hoping to fill whatever void is there. It's very similar to drug addiction.
You are a wise man...

quote:

Honestly, if I didn't have my crushing student loan debt, I'd spend part of my Christmas vacation flying out to help you clean this place up.
Yeah, too bad, you could've stopped by and helped me out, too. ;)

Jendawn13.com

Lord Hawking
Aug 8, 2002

SHUT UP!
SHUT UP!
SHUT UP!!!

quote:

Lioness came out of the closet to say:
poo poo, 6 cats is nothing. I've been involved in a cleanup of well over 25 cats. All related, and still breeding with each other. Wild as gently caress and making GBS threads all over the house.
And you're still committed to veterinary medicine? Good for you, I say!

With those 6 it was the fact that it was a small house to begin with, the lack of open space due to the hoarding, and my general allergies to cats. I love 'em, but I can barely take the one my parents keep at home. It's funny because when I went to college, all my respiratory problems cleared up, but as soon as I go home WHAM! instant sneezing/runny nose/itchy eyes.

Fortunately, all the ones I dealt with were spayed and neutered, and had at least started out housebroken. There's a special place for you in Kitty Heaven thanks to your efforts in that 25-feline cleanup.

cayton
Sep 9, 2001
Hi! I'm yet another delusional racist tool who supports Ron Paul!
When she dies, you can probablylive for at least a year just selling that poo poo.

Of course, you're going to need a bonfire and a team of migrant workers just to sort it out.

Miserableman
May 6, 2003

wats the plan, mang
Here's an alternative suggestion - become much worse. Buy a shitload of boxes and just fill them with tissue paper or gravel or something, so they don't feel empty, and start stacking them everywhere - in the walkways, on her sleeping area, around her computer, in front of the front door, so that it becomes physically impossible to live in that house because of your mess, not hers. Eventually your Mum will have to complain to you about the mess, at which point it's time to negotiate, baby.

Note that this is probably a really poo poo idea.

StraightRazor
Jul 11, 2002

quote:

Jendawn13 came out of the closet to say:
Yeah, too bad, you could've stopped by and helped me out, too. ;)
SSshhhh! That was my ulterior motive!

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
It's definitely a mental condition to save everything, but it's also laziness not to get rid of the stuff that's not even worth anything. For this Christmas, buy your mother a paper shredder and a shitload of garbage bags.

Call the Learning Channel too. They could probably put you on one of those "house makeover" shows.

StraightRazor
Jul 11, 2002

^^^^
Why I oughta...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eaglebtc
Feb 22, 2003

P.S. transparent PNGs are :cool: