Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Jan 23, 2002

So do you actually feel sick? I've had two infections that were bad enough to be treated with antibiotics and both times I felt terrible on top of having open oozing sores all over my arms/face/legs. It wasn't fun in either case either :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jan 23, 2002

quote:

King Bahamut came out of the closet to say:
What's it like to see that staring back at you in the mirror? I've had injuries where I could handle the pain and think about them in an abstract sense, but actually seeing them on me made me feel like I was going to vomit.
When it's your own, it's just different. I've had quite a few injuries that, had I seen pictures of it I might retch a little but because it's my own body, it doesn't bother me. I'm absurdly allergic to poison ivy and if I get any where near it I break out in oozing sores that look a lot like Gumby's nose but I get them on any exposed skin. I've also popped my own knee back into place before and that didn't bother me too much. Let's not talk about my hernia or the first aid I've had to do in my life. It's just different when it's your own body or if it's your job.

quote:

Bantha_PooDoo came out of the closet to say:
Hmmm, the exposed skin looks a little red.
Of course it does. Ever had a bad sun burn that started to peel? I'd say that the redness of the skin under the scabs is a good thing because it shows that there is blood flowing which means that A) It's not scar tissue and B) It's still healing. When it starts itching, that's when things are looking really good.

edit: Having had some serious skin infections in my time, you'll probably be surprised how well it heals up. Scar dissue doesn't usually form for something like an upper tissue injury which is what you have. It usually forms for deep tissue trama like surgery or a stab wound, or something. I remember one open poison ivy sore that had to be 1/8th of an inch deep right on the meat of my forearm once. Can't even identify exactly where it was now.

Avatar fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Mar 26, 2004

Jan 23, 2002

quote:

The Gumby came out of the closet to say:
You just singlehandedly cheered me up. Heh.

My eyebrow is still twitching, though.
As tacky as it sounds, it probably looks a lot worse than it really is. The bruising is gone, (at least in the most recent picture) and the skin that is open looks pretty good. The scabs are so dark because they were formed with a lot of blood. That's no surprise considering how bad the bruising was and how much blood corses through a nose. The puss obviously makes it look loving awful but is usually a good thing because that's how your body fights an infection like that. Just keep it as dry as possible. Well, maybe dry isn't the right word. Let me put it this way: carry a hankerchief (but keep the hanky clean and change it often) around with you and dab it every once in a while to keep the scabs from getting too wet and coming off early. When it starts looking better maybe try some calimine lotion on it. It'll dry out the skin and forms a second-scab over the top. Plus you can tell if it's weaping because the fluid will come out through the lotion.

I wish I had pictures of a guy I did first aid on who had some burns when he tried to blow out and alcohol camping stove (something that you are told quite explicitly, not to do). It looked terrible but in a couple weeks you could hardly see anything.

edit:

quote:

jasonW came out of the closet to say:
why did you not go to the doctor the very next day? And didn't it seems a bit odd that the doctor said (poss) staph infection then mentioned no recourse?
Do you mean "why didn't she elaborate or test for staph" by "no recourse"? It's obvious it's an infection so determining that it's staph doesn't really matter. Antibiotics treat all that poo poo.

Before I forget, what antibiotics are you on again? Fairly high-dosage amoxicillin?

edit x2: I'm about 90% positive AMOX is amoxicillin which makes sense. Be sure to eat a fair amount of yogurt every day (whether you like it or not) so you don't get the runs.

Avatar fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Mar 26, 2004

Jan 23, 2002

quote:

kami came out of the closet to say:
Well, I'm glad it's healing but I still think you should sue.

Signing a waiver does not protect the doctor against gross negligence, and IMO, letting you leave that office without some sort of protective bandage and antibiotic ointment was a grave oversight.

Get some :10bux: man, go get it.
Blah. Give it up. Gross negligence would be like giving him the procedure without the protective glasses and he lost his eyesight. Scabing/bruising is normal for something like this. So it got infected, OH NO! Like there's never been anyone whose operation got them an infection before. Have you ever seen someone's leg after bypass surgery (or better yet, their chest) or someone's sholder after angioplasty? Even better: have you ever given blood and had them accidently poke through the vein?

Plus what's he going to claim if it heals fine? "I want $10 million in malpractice payments because I couldn't go swimming over spring break :("

Jan 23, 2002

quote:

King Bahamut came out of the closet to say:
You can get punitive damages for psychological harm. I mean, those loving closeups gave me psychological distress, so having it on his own face must be worth two, maybe three times as much. I'm not generally for malpractice suits, but I detest cosmetic surgeons. They run their practices like factory foremen, and if skimping on the postoperative care lecture means the can squeeze in one more procedure procedure that day, they will.
Do you know how much doctors have to pay in malpractice insurance because people sue over stuff like this? A doctor of internal medicine pays 40% to 50% of their income on insurance because someone might sue because a scar screwed up their mid-rift. Doctors who have never been convicted of doing anything wrong have been sued 7 or 8 times. Assuming of course that it heals fine, which I'd wager a large sum of money on, there is no reason to sue. So he got an infection that screwed up his nose temporarily. What does it really matter? It's lawsuits like this that tie up our court system so terribly. Should kemo patients who loose their hair get punitive damages? How about people who have to wear eye patches? There's something to be said for just dealing with it because if this really bothers him so much that he feels the need to sue then he's got more problems that some broken blood vessels.

Christ, in a couple years he'll be able to wear it as a badge of honor. Women dig stories like that. At some party, it'll come out that I'm a licensed emt and I'll have to tell some stories. This will end up being a great party story.

"Joe, you remember when that surgery went bad?"
"Yeah, my pours actually started oozing blood."
Girl: "Ewwwe! What happened?"
"Well you see I had this condition..."

Avatar fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Mar 26, 2004

Jan 23, 2002

quote:

jesus loving christ I NEED to scratch this. I am actually having to like contain myself. My toes are loving clenched.
I'd call your doctor tomorrow and ask if hydrocortisone cream would be ok to use. It'll probably be fine but you never know.

quote:

onefish came out of the closet to say:
sometimes you can distract yourself from an itch with other sensations... scratch yourself elsewhere, or tap on the nose (?) - something that won't cause scarring.
masturbate, obviously :rolleyes:

Jan 23, 2002

quote:

TheKevman came out of the closet to say:
thx for making my health insurance so high, motherfucker.

WAAAH WAAAH WAAH SUE SUE SUE
Oh grow up, that has nothing to do with your insurance being high. If it's high it's probably because you're an at-risk candidate meaning you’re between the ages of 16 to 28. This was a cosmetic surgery that probably wasn't covered by insurance to begin with (or at least not 100%). High malpractice rates affect doctor's insurance rates; the fact that you smoke and have diabetes and heart disease in the family is what makes yours high. These are just examples, of course, but lawsuit rates for cosmetic surgery have zero effect on your insurance rates.

Jan 23, 2002

quote:

TheKevman came out of the closet to say:
OH REALLY!?
half the story.

http://www.wclt.com/news/special/politics10376.html

"Further exacerbating this problem, we have found that insurance companies are leaving Ohio or choosing not to issue medical malpractice policies in the state, thus shrinking the competitive nature of the market that helps to keep rates down. In fact, three companies that provided medical malpractice insurance have left the state since December of 2001.

Testimony like this led the Ohio General Assembly to pass Senate Bill 281, legislation that was designed to bring stability back to the medical liability market by curbing the number of frivolous lawsuits that drive up costs for doctors and health consumers. Legally, the bill took effect in April, but it will take time for its provisions to fully affect the market as we intended."
Wow, you're the most pretentiously aggressive idiots I’ve ever come across in these forums outside D&D. The important point is the info that you’ve not bolded. While I’m not familiar with Ohio’s medical insurance situation in 2002, I would attribute the falling numbers of insurance companies to the rising cost of insurance much more than I would on a bill that the senate passed. Simple economics; supply goes down, cost goes up.

I did a [url="https:// http://www.google.com/search?num=75&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=senate+bill+281+ohio&btnG=Google+Search"]Google search for Ohio Senate Bill 281[/url] and found this site which seemed to provide a rather nice outline for what Senate Bill 281 actually did. Nothing too very surprising, really. A lot of states have laws like that. All it does is limit the damages that can be issued in a malpractice lawsuit. But you’ve still totally avoided providing any evidence of how a cosmetic surgery lawsuit would drive up your health insurance. You’ve linked to an article which has a statement to the point, not evidence of it, but just saying that is avoiding the issue myself. Assuming, of course, that you live in the same state as Gumby, which I doubt, what a cosmetic surgery lawsuit would do to your insurance would be increase the cost/co-pay you would pay should you also get cosmetic surgery. It’s not too hard to visualize. Malpractice insurance is not like health insurance in that each type of medical insurance has its own type of coverage. A pediatrician has a totally different policy than an Obst/Gyno, obviously. There’s nothing too shocking about that. Say that, for whatever reason, the M.P. insurance for internal medicine suddenly doubles. That doesn’t affect the amount you pay for your chiropractor/family doctor/surgeon/dentist/etc hardly at all. You need to understand the difference between a voluntary cosmetic operation and a non-optional procedure (like a woman giving birth). What you’re saying is that if I go in for a chin-tuck and it gets hosed up and I sue the doctor who did it the cost to you to get your prostate checked goes up. That’s just a fallacious connection.

quote:

Please prove to me that frivolous lawsuits of any nature DONT make insurance higher.
Oh, ok. Let me sit down and do a county by county analysis of M.P. lawsuits and student health insurance rates. :rolleyes: Also, you might want to actually read my other posts cowboy.

edit: typo

edit x2: Enough of this. I don't want to get into something like this here or now.

Avatar fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Mar 26, 2004

Jan 23, 2002

quote:

http://www.imageshack.us/img2/2843/32704nose1.jpg

Hopefully that redness in the upper left is just part of the bruising...
Looking good :cool:

Jan 23, 2002

quote:

Aominux came out of the closet to say:
Of course not.

Wearing an eyepatch is a privilege and commands respect.
You raise an excellent point. It would acually be pretty cool to have a decent excuse to wear one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jan 23, 2002

For great justice. Were the scabs getting lose or did they just come off really quickly? They still look pretty firm in this one but it looks almost perfect in the latest one. In any case it's looking good.