Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Eric the Mauve posted:

Any Marner trade will have to be a 3-way, because no team he'd accept a trade to is going to want to send back a remotely comparable but less well paid player, and the Leafs don't want prospects and picks. They'll have to find a rebuilding team with a good veteran or two to route the Marner recipient's prospects and picks to.

Did the Dubois and Huberdeau trades just not happen?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Those were both unique situations and I don't expect Marner's situation would be similar at all. Could be wrong, will be fun to find out. If the Leafs decide to move him just to move him and/or are dumb and eager to get back guys who are Gritty but not very Good, it could certainly make things easier.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

The Dirty Burger posted:

https://x.com/ahobsonmedia/status/1788944808678924386?s=46&t=2hVb1vPytx9OUpdE0UPz6Q

I love when a sports journo actually asks a question that isn’t just a lay-up to a PR statement

Lol :drat:

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

grack posted:

The Leafs did try and get some D that could handle the puck, it's just that those moves backfired spectacularly.

Yeah I’ve seen a lot of takes online that ignore Treliving’s second-biggest UFA signing being a soft, puck-moving PP dman, and I did make a point in the off-season thread that Klingberg working out or not was basically the lynchpin of the team construction. Obviously it didn’t work out, but Treliving knew it was an area of weakness and made a more serious attempt to address it than had been done in the past. Sure he added a couple refrigerators at the deadline, but when he did that the Leafs PP was humming along great, they were third in league goal scoring, and the PK was a tire fire, so

A big part of the issue is that Keefe had his brain broken by the Columbus/Montreal series, decided that he hated offensive dmen, and turned his breakout into all glass n’ outs and lobs to centre ice. The Leafs could have traded for Karlsson and it wouldn’t matter with the systems the coach was running, and I don’t think it’s a matter of him adapting to his personnel because he’s the one that wanted those guys.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Trade Liljegren to someone who still believes he has upside (for an older but underappreciated replacement) and play Timmins, problem solved.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Misanthrope posted:

Waiting on Darude to post the Treliving smiling about Ryan Reaves flexing on ice.

https://twitter.com/TicTacTOmar/status/1712245021376651522?s=20

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Eric the Mauve posted:

Those were both unique situations and I don't expect Marner's situation would be similar at all. Could be wrong, will be fun to find out. If the Leafs decide to move him just to move him and/or are dumb and eager to get back guys who are Gritty but not very Good, it could certainly make things easier.

how about... Brendan Gallagher

I would kind of feel bad about sending him to the Leafs and I don't really want any part of Marner but it would be pretty funny

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

I have no clue outside of maybe the Nagano Olympics how hockey of all things ended up in a Final Fantasy game. I know it happened since I have 8 on Steam but that would be one of the last sports that I would guess would appear.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
UH OH

https://twitter.com/Steve_Dangle/status/1789010668013666623

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

God that guy is such a tool

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

drat was hoping Dangle was transitioning from soy-boy-faced YouTube cretin to serious hockey journalist. Shame.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Island Nation posted:

I have no clue outside of maybe the Nagano Olympics how hockey of all things ended up in a Final Fantasy game. I know it happened since I have 8 on Steam but that would be one of the last sports that I would guess would appear.

https://twitter.com/bootypats/status/1696941000588144920

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Hockey's reasonably popular in Japan, definitely still a bit niche though, mostly on Hokkaido and in the northern parts of the mainland. How quickly we forget Japanese legend Yutaka Fukufuji.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
I was always super jealous those Galbadian kids had a hockey rink at their school.

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Hockey's reasonably popular in Japan, definitely still a bit niche though, mostly on Hokkaido and in the northern parts of the mainland. How quickly we forget Japanese legend Yutaka Fukufuji.

I've done every single Gordle apart from the very first one, and Fukufuji was the only one I've ever had to throw in the towel on and cheat to get :smith:

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Can't forget Taro Tsujimoto. Drafted back in 1974.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
Devils apparently asked for (and received) permission to talk to Keefe. Same old coaching carousel

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Uh, Keefe is unemployed, they don't need permission to talk to him?

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Eric the Mauve posted:

Uh, Keefe is unemployed, they don't need permission to talk to him?

He's technically under contract

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Yeah he’s not technically a free agent, the Leafs just asked him to stop coming to work

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

True, but I'm not sure under what scenario a team would say "no, you may not attempt to hire the coach we just fired". Has it ever happened?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Eric the Mauve posted:

True, but I'm not sure under what scenario a team would say "no, you may not attempt to hire the coach we just fired". Has it ever happened?

Babcock had to wait until his 8 year contract ended with Toronto, 4 years after he was fired, to sign with the Blue Jackets.

That might have been because nobody wanted to pay him $6.25m a year to abuse players.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
Sounds like the shady dude who was starting this 3-on-3 league called every single hockey journalist first (who probably asked him a follow up question about it) before going gently caress it and calling up a Leafs Fan Reacts youtuber with the scoop lol

https://x.com/schlossmangf/status/1788786551775699005?s=46&t=2hVb1vPytx9OUpdE0UPz6Q

https://x.com/schlossmangf/status/1789019200834384048?s=46&t=2hVb1vPytx9OUpdE0UPz6Q

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Eric the Mauve posted:

It's a good way for the Leafs to say "Hey, this guy is totally in demand, and we're not just saying that because we don't want to keep paying him!"

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.

Eric the Mauve posted:

It was pretty surprising when Boston allowed Montreal to talk to Claude Julien, ending the Michel Therrien Curse.

Kind of surprised Julian doesn't come up at all in coaching rumours now. Guess he's cool with retirement.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
E: I guess they'll pick a name but just have UTAH jerseys for next year.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Are there any Utah or SLC Goons that are gonna jump on board and are excited?

Geo Fixer
Jan 10, 2012

"Freedom lies in being bold."
-Robert Frost

Cartoon Man posted:

Are there any Utah or SLC Goons that are gonna jump on board and are excited?

I mean I'm kinda exited. I've been following the Jets since 2011 and Vegas since 2017 though. So it's like it's nice to have a team in my home state but Vegas is closer and has actually won a title. So I'll still root for Utah but I'm not jumping off the Vegas bandwagon just quite yet. That said I put down a 200$ deposit on season tickets since I can afford it this time around unlike Vegas back in 2017. Personally I'm more exited for the MLB expansion bid.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

You've got the Utah Jazz and Real Salt Lake, so you are really going to have to get wild with it to make a splash I think. I'm thinking Utah Dengue Fever

Geo Fixer
Jan 10, 2012

-Robert Frost

Simplex posted:

You've got the Utah Jazz and Real Salt Lake, so you are really going to have to get wild with it to make a splash I think. I'm thinking Utah Dengue Fever

You saw that list. Ownership is trying their damnedest to give us the most dogshit name they can. Personally I'm hoping for Black Diamonds or Mammoths.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

Isentropy posted:

The Athletic podcast today noted there's obvious reasons we can't have hockey* teams with skiing terms in them (cowards)

I feel dumb, is this just because the Avalanche exist, or something else

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

kalensc posted:

I feel dumb, is this just because the Avalanche exist, or something else

Skiing is slang for cocaine. Might be a North American thing.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Geo Fixer posted:

You saw that list. Ownership is trying their damnedest to give us the most dogshit name they can. Personally I'm hoping for Black Diamonds or Mammoths.

I hope that NHL fans can really John Scott All-Star this vote and make you guys have to be the Utah Ice

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I thought Rochester could ride Devon Levi to a long playoff run but it turned out a team made up of mostly small skilled guys who can’t play defense couldn’t stand up to a team of big dudes with actual NHL playoff experience. The Crunch eliminated them tonight with a 5-2 win in game 5. I paid $30 to watch all of their playoff games and they only played five lol

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Interesting story I saw on the Athletic today:
https://theathletic.com/5475246/2024/05/10/quentin-grimes-tyler-myers-mom-nba-nhl/

Did you know Tyler Myers has a half brother who plays in the NBA? Quentin Grimes. His mom is the only person to have a kid in both the NBA and the NHL. It's a neat read.

bub spank
Feb 1, 2005

the THRILL

Spelling Mitsake posted:

It was pretty surprising when Boston allowed Montreal to talk to Claude Julien, ending the Michel Therrien Curse.

Kind of surprised Julian doesn't come up at all in coaching rumours now. Guess he's cool with retirement.

He publicly said he was interested in the Sens coaching job, and then 2 days later they hired Travis Green.

I would’ve preferred Julien.

e: https://thehockeynews.com/nhl/ottawa-senators/latest-news/claude-julien-confirms-interest-in-ottawa-senators-head-coaching-job

Geo Fixer
Jan 10, 2012

-Robert Frost

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

I hope that NHL fans can really John Scott All-Star this vote and make you guys have to be the Utah Ice

I'm assuming the poll is weighted towards market locals. One of the local news stations is running a poll with the same names and luckily it looks like the non dogshit names are in the lead.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Julien is a notorious rear end in a top hat even by NHL coach standards that may have burned all his bridges.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Eric the Mauve posted:

Julien is a notorious rear end in a top hat even by NHL coach standards that may have burned all his bridges.

On a scale of 1 to Babcock, where’s he rate?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets
:iceburn:

Only registered members can see post attachments!