Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Can you?
Take it all away
Take it all away
Shove it in my face
This pain you gave to me
SHOOT VISARI
View Results

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

Cooked Auto posted:

Speaking of Top Gun, Cruise has more or less confirmed that the shooting for the sequel will start next year.
I figure the Navy is going to welcome them with open arms considering what a boost the first one was for their recruiting numbers.

Oh god, are they still going ahead with having it star the F-35?

Had to think about how many people have not-American accents, and I came out with '3' as well. One of them is second best character (after anti-tank cop)

I unironically love the AC5 SAAM, especially since you can switch targets and have two missile track two planes, so long as you keep them both in your forward aspect. And it still works if you switch to regular missiles.
It just feels weird when I see someone else play and they use them just to plink one enemy at a time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kadorhal
Jun 3, 2013

Look, just sign the stupid petition. I've got stuff to do.

Paingod556 posted:

I unironically love the AC5 SAAM, especially since you can switch targets and have two missile track two planes, so long as you keep them both in your forward aspect. And it still works if you switch to regular missiles.
It just feels weird when I see someone else play and they use them just to plink one enemy at a time.

I loved the AC5 SAAM too, for taking out people at extreme ranges it was basically the best thing ever - I distinctly remember making kills with it by firing at people that were beyond the max lock-on range and then guiding it onto them once they were in range. I'm pretty sure too that if someone else stole your kill before it got there, gently caress it, just switch to another guy and it'd track them.

It makes me sad that when I get around to using the equivalent weapon in HAWX I'm going to end up with missiles counted as missed if I so much as let the enemy get out of the targeting circle.

Kadorhal fucked around with this message at 14:00 on May 25, 2017

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Kadorhal posted:

I loved the AC5 SAAM too, for taking out people at extreme ranges it was basically the best thing ever - I distinctly remember making kills with it by firing at people that were beyond the max lock-on range and then guiding it onto them once they were in range. I'm pretty sure too that if someone else stole your kill before it got there, gently caress it, just switch to another guy and it'd track them.

It makes me sad that when I get around to using the equivalent weapon in HAWX I'm going to end up with missiles counted as missed if I so much as let the enemy get out of the targeting circle.

Why would you play HAWX.

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Night10194 posted:

Why would you play HAWX.

I guess because it's only option on PC, alongside rear end Horizon.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Gervasius posted:

I guess because it's only option on PC, alongside rear end Horizon.

Well there is Project Wingman.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikmAItVpg0g
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AbFT2s1KgWI
https://rb-d2.itch.io/wingman

But its very much a Work in Progress in this case. However it does look very promising.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Paingod556 posted:

It works this way in Zero and Infinity too, IIRC.

Cooked Auto posted:

Well there is Project Wingman.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikmAItVpg0g
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AbFT2s1KgWI
https://rb-d2.itch.io/wingman

But its very much a Work in Progress in this case. However it does look very promising.

Yeah, I downloaded the Project Wingman alpha the other day and it owns. Obviously it's a shameless AC ripoff, but that's exactly what the doctor ordered to scratch that itch until Skies Unknown. And the ol' two-target SAAM trick works here too!

That said, he gave the F-15C some weird-rear end Sukhoi-style radar prong in between the engines, marring the most beautiful silhouette in modern aviation. 0/10 do not download :colbert:

ninjahedgehog fucked around with this message at 15:06 on May 25, 2017

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

So, I hadn't really noticed until you guys brought it up that Nagase and the others are hesitant to call Captain Bartlett by just his rank anymore, and then Perault stating Wardog has been promoted again in the post-mission debrief, that now all of them (except Grimm, who I think never actually got a commission and is still an enlisted man) are the same rank as their old CO. Would probably make it awkward if they got promoted above him or something, but then again war leads to a faster promotion schedule depending on how successful one is.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Cooked Auto posted:

Speaking of Top Gun, Cruise has more or less confirmed that the shooting for the sequel will start next year.
I figure the Navy is going to welcome them with open arms considering what a boost the first one was for their recruiting numbers.
On the one hand, I am asking the obvious "Why even make a sequel?" question. On the other hand, I look forward to the lengths the movie will go to in order to make the F-35C not look like a dumpster fire.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

AradoBalanga posted:

On the one hand, I am asking the obvious "Why even make a sequel?" question. On the other hand, I look forward to the lengths the movie will go to in order to make the F-35C not look like a dumpster fire.

Only way to make it look good is to have it go up against something even shittier. So the entire enemy airforce is just Flying Aquariums or whatever that one old Russian plane was called.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

AradoBalanga posted:

F-35 and the EMALS launch system in this case since El Presidente can't wrap his head around how that one works and wants the Navy to go back to steam catapults.

Akujiki
Nov 25, 2013

AradoBalanga posted:

The reveal is that Top Gun actually takes place in Strangereal where the F-35 wasn't a dumpster fire.

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

VolticSurge posted:

Only way to make it look good is to have it go up against something even shittier. So the entire enemy airforce is just Flying Aquariums or whatever that one old Russian plane was called.

A MiG-21 like in the original movie?

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
Make a new Iron Eagle trilogy if you really want to gungho recruits. Oh, 80's..

Dreamsicle
Oct 16, 2013

AradoBalanga posted:

Isn't it the B that's a dumpster fire? I thought the A and C were (relatively) fine.

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

Calax posted:

A MiG-28 like in the original movie?

:colbert:

Dreamsicle posted:

Isn't it the B that's a dumpster fire? I thought the A and C were (relatively) fine.

More or less, all three have had a tendency to catch fire, but yeah the VTOL model is the only one that you'd call a boondoggle at this point.

Kadorhal
Jun 3, 2013

Night10194 posted:

Why would you play HAWX.

So no one else has to, obviously. Well, that and no one really can anymore, since Ubisoft decided the servers going down needed to coincide with the game not being available for purchase anymore.
Kind of sad, really, I legit had fun with the co-op and I can't think of any other flight sims that do actual campaign co-op (maybe Joint Assault, but I don't have a PSP or anyone to play that with even if I did).

Paingod556 posted:

More or less, all three have had a tendency to catch fire, but yeah the VTOL model is the only one that you'd call a boondoggle at this point.

I remember doing research for an old LP and learning that the Marines back during WWII at least were always getting the short end of the stick in regards to equipment, like they were still using the old M1903A1 Springfields and weren't getting any M1 Garands until late in the war when, if I remember correctly, every Army (and maybe Navy) order had been filled.

After seeing the complete clusterfuck their involvement has made out of something that already wasn't that good an idea in the first place (stealth and meant to be multirole? sure, if you ignore all precedent regarding stealth planes and multiroles), I think I'm starting to understand why.

Kadorhal fucked around with this message at 22:04 on May 26, 2017

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Kadorhal posted:

So no one else has to, obviously. Well, that and no one really can anymore, since Ubisoft decided the servers going down needed to coincide with the game not being available for purchase anymore.

Well at least they decided to remove it at the same time as the servers went down, so you someone doesn't buy a game they can't play anymore. Which I guess is a small blessing. v:v:v

Cooked Auto fucked around with this message at 10:44 on May 26, 2017

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

HAWX was always online on PC? Sure glad I bought it for the PS3!

Yep, really glad.

Really, really glad.

HAWX 1 was a good first attempt at an Ace Combat that, if sold at a middle market price, would have been more palatable - OFF mode aside. The sequel somehow made everything worse, including OFF.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

HAWX 1 has the right level of batshit but doesn't quite capture how to make itself more melodramatic and larger than life, rather than just clancyfic stuff.

It was going the right direction, but needed even more ham and at least one particle cannon.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Night10194 posted:

HAWX 1 has the right level of batshit but doesn't quite capture how to make itself more melodramatic and larger than life, rather than just clancyfic stuff.

It was going the right direction, but needed even more ham and at least one particle cannon.

Eeyup, probably said this before but the "perfect" HAWX game would essentially be a combination of both games. With a lot less mission gimmicks.

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Transform and waaauuuugh out!
HAWX had some bright moments in it (Typhoon immediately springs to mind), but was marred by the team just not quite getting it when it came to trying to make a good AC clone, such as intense dogfights against multiple enemies (HAWX just kind of drip fed enemies to you most of the time), too many defense oriented missions, and a lack of decent soundtrack.

Also, it's plot is, like, legitimately bad and infuriatingly stupid, involving a PMC that somehow has the resourses and sheer number of dedicatedly stupid pilots to wage war on a global superpower, even going so far as to try and kill the president... yet for all that against it, it's still a decent attempt.

HAWX2 however is far far worse, introducing a half dozen different gimmicks that it cycles through frantically like a current gen CoD game and a plot that is not only terrible, but is also /boring/, and not even fun to mock in a MST2K-sort of way like the first one was.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The insane idiot PMC is the best part, though! "Yes, we will surely profit from attacking the most powerful country on earth over a minor contract issue! Brilliant plan!"

Kadorhal
Jun 3, 2013

Rorahusky posted:

such as intense dogfights against multiple enemies (HAWX just kind of drip fed enemies to you most of the time)

Even the times where they do try to get serious and spawn more than two guys at a time, they miss half the fun by lacking the enemy chatter. I can think of one whole instance in the entire game where you get set up against identified, capital-A Aces - which is also one of only two or three times I can remember them sending four-plus guys at you in one instance - and even then you've still got no idea who the gently caress these people are or what exactly sets them apart from the twenty other guys you shot down across the mission. I legit had more trouble with actual nameless fucks using the same aircraft as everybody else in a later mission than I did with the people who presumably were supposed to be some kind of actual threat.

also I misspoke earlier, HAWX does not have any sort of always-online bullshit. I meant to say you simply can't purchase it anymore - if you've already got it you can still play it, just not multiplayer. Not that anyone played multiplayer anyway, if it's an Ubisoft game that isn't Rainbow Six no one gives a poo poo.

Kadorhal fucked around with this message at 22:02 on May 26, 2017

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
Raidersphere4th and sky rogue are both PC games that exist, tho

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
White Noise

Mission 15: Operation Stray Sheep – November 18th, 2010

Overview: The following morning, the Wardog Squadron conducts a search and rescue operation for Captain Nagase, who was forced to bail out after her plane was struck by SAM fire during the previous night’s Operation Backhaul.

Outfitted with special transceivers, Wardog must locate Nagase’s beacon and then protect Sea Goblin team as they fly in to extract her from the mountains.

Guest Commentator: Will Dr. Snark ever escape his frozen prison? The world may never know…

GLUBINA

Since we missed it last time. The Glubina Highlands, located near the center of the Yuktobanian heartland, are a high-altitude mountainous plain situated north east of the Jilachi Desert and south west of the major Yuktobanian metropolis of Okchabursk.

The area is covered with thick coniferous forest, and its high elevation above sea level often see the region freeze over and experience many blizzards, like the one that helped derail yesterday’s Operation Backhaul. Glubina’s hostile terrain and location near the geographical center of Yuktobania make it a key location for sensitive Yuktobanian military facilities, such as the prison camp the Sea Goblin team recently liberated.

Ironically, "Glubina" (глубина) means "depth" or "deep" in Russian.

PRRRROMOTION!

As noted in Perrault’s debriefing from the outro to Mission 14, thanks to their sinking of the Hrimfaxi in Mission 13, Wardog Squadron has received an official commendation and promotion for their valiant service to the Osean Federation.

Blaze is officially promoted to the rank of Captain after acting as the provisional captain of Wardog Squadron in the wake of Jack Bartlett’s apparent death. Nagase and Chopper are also promoted to the rank of Captain alongside him, while Grimm, previously just an Airman First Class, is promoted to Second Lieutenant.

This means that at the time Nagase was shot down as she let her guard down to finally process her feelings over failing Bartlett as her captain, she herself had been promoted to equal standing with him in rank. It’s an understatedly poignant moment in the story. The student has surpassed the teacher, only the teacher isn’t around to see it. It also fits in with what Pops was talking about in the cutscene prior to Mission 14, about the old war horses like him and Bartlett fading away and passing the torch to the younger generation of Blaze, Nagase, Chopper and Grimm. Again, this is another spot where doing Ace Combat Zero first before 5 has its benefits, especially because we’ve encountered Bartlett before in his prime when he himself was the young buck getting rizzed by his friends as “Kid”.

Furthermore, the lack of the happy reunion or any of the other prisoners knowing about or having seen Bartlett among them at Glubina suggest to the player that perhaps Bartlett really is gone and not coming back after all, something that Blaze and co. getting promoted on par to him reinforces. Yet Nagase still holds out hope that he’s out there somewhere. I mean, it’s not like Yuktobania only has one POW camp, right?

WHITE NOISE

Commonly known as radio static, white noise is the general fuzzy hissing sound produced by radios and old antenna television sets when tuned to a frequency that is not currently transmitting audio or video information. Functionally speaking, “white noise” is the audible portion of the Cosmic Microwave Background Radiation (CMBR) left over from the Big Bang at the birth of the universe.

White noise is used in music production and audio engineering and synthesis, specifically to create synthesized percussion instrument sounds. Its highly randomized nature is also used in computing; several random number generators including the website Random.org are based off white noise patterns.

It is also used therapeutically to help people who suffer from tinnitus (ringing in the ears). White noise is often used as a synthetic noise source to mask the persistent audible pitch of tinnitus and aid in relaxation or sleep and can be produced by specially made white noise machines. Many modern alarm clocks offer a variety of built in background noise features to help people fall asleep and one of them is white noise (alternatively labeled static).

In the realm of ghost hunting and parapsychology, white noise recording is used as a means to detect the alleged presence of otherworldly spirits. This is called the Electronic Voice Phenomenon (EVP), so called because people claim to sometimes be able to hear sounds or voices on the playback of recordings of otherwise empty and silent spaces. The effect is often dismissed as pseudoscience and a form of audio pareidolia (interpreting unrelated sounds as voices speaking your own language, similar to our genetically hardwired tendency to see and interpret faces in rudimentary shapes such as smilies like :v: ). The effect was explored in the 2005 film White Noise starring Michael Keaton, although the film came out the year after Ace Combat 5, so it is functionally unrelated.

In addition to white noise there are several other classified “colours” of background noise: pink, brown (or red), and grey noise. Though Brownian noise is unrelated to its named colour, it is called Brownian noise after its discoverer, Robert Brown. It should not be confused with the mythical poo poo-inducing “Brown Note” either.

As Dr. Snark notes in the video, in regard to the mission, white noise is also a pun, as not only are you sifting through the white noise to locate Nagase’s homing beacon in this mission, you are also trying to hunt for a specific noise frequency while flying over a solid white snow field.

BEHIND ENEMY LINES

This mission draws specific reference to the 2001 action film Behind Enemy Lines starring Owen Wilson and Gene Hackman (who was concept face model for Captain Andersen), from that brief stretch in the 00s where Owen Wilson tried to become a Serious Actor and break out of his Frat Pack pigeon hole as Ben Stiller and/or Vince Vaughn’s dopey sidekick or Wes Anderson’s living good luck charm.

The movie centers around a rescue mission for a US Navy pilot whose plane is struck by a SAM in Bosnia during the Bosnian War of 1995 and is forced to bail out and survive on the ground behind enemy lines, hence the title. A similar situation plays out with Nagase on the ground in this mission via the radio chatter as Blaze, Archer, and Chopper search for her, including her outwitting Yuktobanian patrols and getting in a shootout with nothing but her sidearm.

The film was allegedly based on the story of USAF Captain Scott O’Grady, who was actually shot down during the Bosnian War and survived for six days behind enemy lines before being rescued by a US Marine SAR unit. O’Grady ultimately sued the film’s producers for defamation of character, claiming he never disobeyed orders from command like Wilson’s character did, or swore either. The case was settled out of court.

I never saw the film myself, but, well, there’s a reason Owen Wilson is not a Serious Actor today. It wasn’t particularly well received, both in its time and today, it hasn’t aged well, and it wasn’t exactly memorable either. It has spawned several direct-to-video sequels, but, well that’s far enough down that rabbit hole. Regardless, it survived long enough in cultural memory to at least be in Project ACES’s mind when they were making Ace Combat 5 and most likely going through that binge of 00s pop culture Americana to get the “feel” of the narrative right.

BEEP BEEP BEEP

…I’m starting to regret saying Ace Combat 5 was sparse on gimmick missions. Although, in my defense, AC5’s gimmicks are a lot more polished and better integrated into its story and gameplay than in previous outings. The main reason that Ace Combat 2 felt so overtly gimmicky was because Project ACES was experimenting with its engine for most of the game and trying to figure out how make actual interesting missions after Air Combat turned out to be an unplayable turd. The culmination of that experimentation was Electrosphere on the PS1, and then Shattered Skies on the PS2 which finalized the general form of the modern Ace Combat game. Ace Combat Zero would ultimately be the purest distillation of that formula, taking everything that worked in 5 and stripping out what didn’t before they went and re-invented the wheel for Fires of Liberation on the Xbox 360—because gently caress you if we’re going make a proper Ace Combat for the PlayStation 3. Have you seen that thing’s system architecture? SONY couldn’t even make decent games for it until about five years into its lifespan! And they built the loving thing!!

But anyways, White Noise has a gimmick to it. Your job in this mission in order to locate and rescue Nagase is to pay attention to the two bars at the top center of the screen beneath where the dialog appears. Depending on your direction, the bars will slowly fill in until they make one solid bar of dashes across the HUD. This is your direction guide: a full bar means you are pointed in the right direction toward Nagase’s beacon.

The frequency and tone of the beeps the indicator puts out is your distance marker. The shorter the interval between pings the closer you are to Nagase.

I am fairly certain Nagase is always in the same location on the map, somewhere near the center on a hillside about south west from the exact center of the map. But I’ve never confirmed this. I had to replay White Noise several times for varying reasons this time around, and she seemed to be in the same relative place each time, but for all I know it could be randomized.

As we note in the video as well, there is an E-767 jammer AWACS stalking about the area close to Nagase’s location and while you are in its ECM range, the beacon transponder will not function until you destroy it. Also of note, the E-767 is not flagged as a mission critical target for one reason or another. Again, I don’t know if it’s possible to leave the jammer alone and “eyeball” your way to Nagase if you’ve memorized exactly where she is, or if the rescue flag just will not trigger at all until you destroy the E-767 and end the jamming.

I imagine it would be quite hard to test one way or the other. Because it’s basically a plot mission, there are a lot of soft-scripted elements at play in White Noise, and depending on how you play it a lot of them can pile up on each other and result in a bit of a scripting trainwreck, especially if you’re trying to outrun the mission dialog because of the stupidly slim mission timer.

The screenshot above is from one of my abortive runs with the MiG-31 Bathtub Foxhound.

DAREDEVIL

The Named Ace of this mission is named after the 2003 Daredevil starring Ben Affleck, Jennifer Garner, Michael Clarke Duncan, and Colin Farrell about the Marvel Comics superhero Daredevil. The film was a part of the awkward early-00s pre-Marvel Cinematic Universe superhero origin story films and debuted to mixed reviews, though a later-released R-rated extended cut of the film garnered more positive acclaim. A sequel/spin off centered around Jennifer Garner's character of Elektra was released in 2005, but it's poor performance at the box office and bad reviews derailed any chance of a proper sequel to Daredevil itself.

The characters of Daredevil and Elektra were later revisited in the 2015 MCU-adjacent Netflix series Daredevil, which lasted three seasons before studio chicanery destroyed the television/streaming arm of the Marvel Cinematic Universe in favor of brand consolidation under Disney+.

Daredevil
  • Plane: X-29A
  • Mission 15
  • Spawn conditions: Spawns close to your currently location after the E-767 is destroyed.

Daredevil sports the X-29 prototype colour scheme featured on the real life X-29.

Tracks featured in Mission 15:

DISC 2

DISC 4

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Apr 18, 2020

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

nine-gear crow posted:

Guest Commentator: Will Dr. Snark ever escape his frozen prison? The world may never know…

One day, Crow. One day... :argh:

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Should be noted that the MiG-31 is completely useless in HAWX too. I remember using it for the island SEAD mission on my first go of that and it was an absolute worthless thing that turned like a pregnant blue whale even in OFF mode.

Also this mission. :argh:
This was the stopping point I mentioned before. Much like crow I did get at least one time out and one or two times Sea Goblin got schwacked by the AA before I managed to catch up.
It was almost that I stopped playing the game completely.

Tythas
Oct 3, 2013

Never felt at home in reality
Always hiding behind avatars

it should be noted Behind Enemy Lines was based on a real event the shoot down of Capt Scott O'Grady,

On June 2, 1995, he was shot down over Bosnia and Herzegovina by an SA-6 mobile SAM launcher and forced to eject from his F-16C into hostile territory. After nearly a week of evading the Serbs he was eventually rescued by Marines.

On the ground, a Bosnian Serb Army 2K12 Kub surface-to-air missile battery near Mrkonjić Grad was readying to fire its missiles on NATO aircraft. The Serbs had moved the mobile tracked missile battery and laid a trap. They switched on their missile radars sparingly, giving F-16 fighters little warning. Waiting until a plane was directly overhead, where the aircraft's warning and countermeasures would be at their weakest, they fired two missiles. In the cockpit, O'Grady's instruments alerted him that a missile was coming but, because he was flying through an overcast, he could not see it. The first missile exploded between the two aircraft. The second struck the F-16 piloted by O'Grady. His wingman, Captain Bob Wright, saw O'Grady's plane burst into flames and break in two. Wright did not see a parachute, but O'Grady survived by ejecting from the aircraft.

O'Grady landed among a Bosnian-Serb population he assumed to be unfriendly and, within a minute, he secured a 29-pound survival bag from under his seat, ran, and hid. Rubbing dirt on his face, he hid face-down as Bosnian-Serb forces came upon his parachute and ejection seat, at one point hitting the ground with their rifles only feet from where he was hidden in an effort to flush him out.

F-16C of the 555th Fighter Squadron based at Aviano Air Base, Italy.
During the next six days, he put to use the lessons learned during a 17-day Survival, Evasion, Resistance and Escape (SERE) training session he had undertaken near his hometown of Spokane, WA. He ate leaves, grass, and bugs, and stored the little rainwater he could collect with a sponge in plastic bags.

O'Grady delayed radioing for help, as the U.S. Air Force had taught him that downed pilots are often captured after calling for help too soon, giving away their position. On his 4th full day on the ground, he signaled his location using his radio's limited battery power. NATO planes conducting sorties in the Balkans had been picking up beeper snippets that they thought could be coming from O'Grady. This extremely sensitive information was inadvertently revealed by General Ronald Fogleman, the Air Force Chief of Staff, when the general told reporters attending a promotion ceremony that monitors had detected "intermittent" transmissions. A NATO official was quoted as saying "I was dumbfounded he said that... I mean, why not just announce to the bad guys, 'We think he's alive and kicking, and we hope we find him before you do'?"

st after midnight on June 8, he spoke into the radio. An F-16 pilot from the 555th responded and, after confirming his identity, the rescue was set in motion. At 4:40, Admiral Leighton Smith, commander of NATO Southern Forces, called US Marine Colonel Martin Berndt aboard the USS Kearsarge with orders to "execute".

Two CH-53 Sea Stallions with 51 Marines from the 3rd Battalion 8th Marines within the 24th Marine Expeditionary Unit, lifted off the USS Kearsarge to rescue the pilot. The two helicopters were accompanied by two Marine AH-1W SuperCobra helicopter gunships and a pair of Marine AV-8B Harrier jump jets. These six aircraft had support from identical sets of replacement helicopters and jump jets as well as two Navy EA-6B Prowler electronic warfare planes, two Air Force EF-111A Raven electronic warfare planes, two Marine F/A-18D Hornets, a pair of anti-tank Air Force A-10 Thunderbolts and a NATO AWACS radar plane.

At 6:35 a.m., the helicopters approached the area where O'Grady's signal beacon had been traced. The pilots saw bright yellow smoke coming from trees near a rocky pasture where O'Grady had set off a flare. The first Stallion, commanded by Major William Tarbutton, touched down and 20 Marines jumped off the aircraft and set up a defensive perimeter. As the second Sea Stallion landed, a figure with a pistol who turned out to be the missing pilot appeared running towards the Marines and immediately went to the Sea Stallion.[9] As the side door opened, he was pulled in before the second 20 Marines poised to leave by the rear ramp could even move. They were called back to their seats, and those who had formed the defensive perimeter reboarded the other helicopter. After a quick head count, the Stallions took off. They had been on the ground no more than seven minutes.

Tythas fucked around with this message at 00:03 on May 28, 2017

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
Not sure about modern jets but you can tell many apart by the engine sound, in some cases also its design will contribute to its voice. Had a Hawker Hunter on a loan to my local museum practice in the sky one day and it was music to my ears, in comparison the early Saab jets they have are different songs in a different language, each with a different singer. She'd could not have heard it from that far away, but that's CinemaSins'y as heck

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Tythas posted:

it should be noted Behind Enemy Lines was based on a real event the shoot down of Capt Scott O'Grady,

I remember reading a pretty good YA autobiography of O'Grady back in the day. He spent a lot of time talking about eating ants and running around catching rainwater in a few Ziploc baggies he had.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

I'm always surprised by how feral Nagase looks in that outro cutscene.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
Well she's probably just killed like ten guys with a knife/neck snaps going all guerrilla in that forest so the adrenaline is still doing its thing.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
Also it's always been weird to me how the Osean army is suspicious of Wardog squadron because their former captain and instructor is MIA despite them, by all accounts, being the most highly decorated squadron in the entire war so far. Osea is occupying like a third of Yuktobania by now; if Bartlett was some kind of deep cover spy training a squad of sleeper fighter pilots or whatever it is the Osean high command is afraid of, then I think Wardog squadron would probably have made its move by now.

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about being the best dad ever.

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

Also it's always been weird to me how the Osean army is suspicious of Wardog squadron because their former captain and instructor is MIA despite them, by all accounts, being the most highly decorated squadron in the entire war so far. Osea is occupying like a third of Yuktobania by now; if Bartlett was some kind of deep cover spy training a squad of sleeper fighter pilots or whatever it is the Osean high command is afraid of, then I think Wardog squadron would probably have made its move by now.

They've just sunk two of the enemy's most powerful weapons, have the single highest kill/success rate in the army, are worshiped by the troops and dreaded by the enemy, and have spearheaded our war effort halfway to the enemy capital... My God, those filthy spies have us right where they want! :tinfoil:

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

I can sort of see the (really dumb) perspective the Osean upper brass are coming from. Bartlett goes MIA, then Wardog goes from a bunch of rookies/nobodies in the backwaters of Osea to the most successful squadron Osea is currently fielding in this war. On top of successfully holding off Yuktobania's forces, they've also sunk two super submarines that were supposed to terrorize Osea with what seems like little effort. And now, the squadron's second-in-command just single-handedly saved a downed special ops squad and captured a group of enemy soldiers with nothing but a 9mm sidearm. So, on the one hand, the top brass have to praise Wardog for doing an excellent job in the war. But on the other hand, all of Wardog's success immediately starts after Bartlett vanishes, so some eyebrows are going to be raised. I think the angle the game is going for is "Osean top brass do acknowledge Wardog's efforts, but at the same time, they are also noticing that they are doing too good of a job and are looking for some answers".

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
I get that part, but it's like, I dunno, if during WW2 a single squad of infantry had single handedly invaded and occupied the entirety of the Japanese Home Islands, but because their drill sergeant had gone missing earlier, Allied high command was freaking the gently caress out about the possibility they were in fact German or Italian spies that are "playing the long game", whatever that game might be.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Part of it is probably that Wardog is pretty overtly not gung ho about the war, and they're becoming famous enough that people might listen to them if the heroes of Sand Island said 'You know this is some pretty pointless murder.'

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

I get that part, but it's like, I dunno, if during WW2 a single squad of infantry had single handedly invaded and occupied the entirety of the Japanese Home Islands, but because their drill sergeant had gone missing earlier, Allied high command was freaking the gently caress out about the possibility they were in fact German or Italian spies that are "playing the long game", whatever that game might be.
Indeed. I would not be surprised if the reason Osean top brass still doubt Wardog's capabilities is in fact "we need to keep dumb drama around because *wet fart noises*".

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

Of course there are other Sukhoi craft that exist-

Su-27, 30, 33 and 35 are fighters that are in active service, with the -30 being a two-seater multirole, the -33 is the carrier version, and the -35 only has about 50 in existence but those are active service models, not just prototypes. Also theres the Su-34 Fullback which is what happens when an F-111 and a Flanker love each other very much...

The Su-37 Terminator and S-37/Su-47 Berkut are the ones in Ace Combat that only existed in prototype and experimental form.

I found the only mission the Foxhound fits in this game is one that is still coming up, and is probably the most gimmicky of the gimmicks, where 'gotta go fast' is of most use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Brunom1 posted:

They've just sunk two of the enemy's most powerful weapons, have the single highest kill/success rate in the army, are worshiped by the troops and dreaded by the enemy, and have spearheaded our war effort halfway to the enemy capital... My God, those filthy spies have us right where they want! :tinfoil:

In a few decades they could use their status as war heroes to run for political office and slightly cut the military's budget.