Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Lazlow
Nov 30, 2004

Tongues posted:

Anyone have any ideas on how to get rid of shin splints? Bastards are the bane of my existence

I loving hear you, man. I've suffered from this forever, and only recently have I found some stretches that have all but eliminated them. The problem, though, is that "shin splints" is a generic term that applies to basically any lower leg pain, but the most common muscle affected is the tibialis anterior (the muscle that runs parallel to the shin bone, just outside it).

Here's an extremely lovely cellphone picture of the stretch:

Sit and cross your leg, putting your right ankle on your left knee. Take the top of your right foot in your left hand and place the heel of your right hand against the back of your right heel for leverage. Pull the top of your foot and toes to stretch that muscle, moving your foot around to where you feel the best stretch. Do this for about 10-20 seconds, firmly massage the muscle for a few more, then do the other leg. (You can't really do this with shoes/ankle guards/shin guards on, so do it before you gear up.)

Once I added this to my regular warm-up/stretch routine the pain all but disappeared. Remember to do standing calf/hamstring stretches as well.