Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Flash Dance: 09/16/2030, 10:46 - Part 2

♪ BGM: Psychological Warfare

Alright, let's not die this time.

Watase stood frozen in place.

I'll watch the fire from the rear! That way, I can let you know if I see something strange!
Yes, thank you, Captain!
Much obliged!

The two of them shouted that and continued hosing down the fire.

(But this fire looks far beyond the control of human hands at this point...!)

Just as Watase thought that--

♪ BGM: Abyss

Wha!?

A tongue of flame which had been licking at the ceiling nimbly waved towards the floor. It was almost like the writhing of a giant snake--

H-hey guys, what's that!?
!? Oh poo poo, it's rolling over!
We'll never last against that! All hands retreat!

Even Watase could tell that whatever was happening was no laughing matter.

T-this way, guys!

Watase opened the emergency staircase door. Kazami and Jun threw aside their hoses at the same time and ran for the stairs. Watase followed them on nigh-instinct.

The whole group crowded their way up the stairs as fast as they could.

And not even a second later-- the door shook with a roar.

Watase was knocked down by the shockwave occurring on the other side. He landed on his side and felt a keen pain run through the area around his ribs.

Ghh, ugh...!

He quickly shut the door again as he groaned. It looked like an explosion had happened downstairs, and the blast had made it all the way up the stairs. ''If we'd been even a second slower...''-- That thought sent shivers down Watase's spine.

Wh... what was that explosion?
A 'flashover'. A phenomenon where an explosion occurs when fire that's covering an entire area suddenly goes through thermal expansion. You saw how those flames were rolling like they were alive, right? That was a forewarning to it, so to speak.
So that's why you told us to run...

If they'd stayed there, they would all be burning to death right about now. Watase gulped as it fully hit him just how ferocious that fire had been. His ribs still ached from when he'd been knocked to the floor.

But I'm glad we're all in one piece...

...!? Tachibana, what's wrong!?
N-nothing... just got a bit dizzy and a little headache all of a sudden...
A headache!? Could it be because you went downstairs without enough AD!?

The fiery hallway they'd just escaped from had a reading of about ''4300 mSv'' according to the Procyon. That was over the first danger standard-- an extremely dangerous zone to those without any AD.

H-hey... you okay, Tachibana!?

A blue path, asking us about our opinion on Jun and Kazami. And if there's been one constant so far, it's that you guys love Jun. I also set Kazami back to 5, just like you voted.

But to think the radiation would--
If they were subjective symptoms of radiation damage, they should not be manifesting this quickly. This is more likely due to carbon monoxide overexposure.

Her face was still a bit pale.

Nice, +1s to both Jun and Kazami.

Even Watase had fainted with a violent headache right after he'd entered a contaminated zone. It was way too dangerous for someone without a full ampule of AD in their system like Kazami. Kazami spoke up with a firm voice as Watase thought that.

...At any rate, let's head back to the control room. Going back to the lower floor is no longer an option.
R-right...
...Yeah.

Kazami then started walking on ahead, followed shortly afterwards by Watase and Jun. --So that dosage of AD really hadn't been enough for her. Though injecting oneself with a drug stored in a damaged container was already in of itself extremely dangerous.

(We need to find some AD on the double...!)

Watase then whispered into Jun's ear.

...Moribe, Tachibana looks like she's having a real hard time. We have to support her...
I know that already! I know that..!

Watase and Jun nodded at each other and quickly marched towards the control room.