Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Laboratory: 09/16/2030, 11:48

♪ BGM: LABO Security Lv. 2

The area they'd struggled so hard to get to was more or less the same in structure as its B1 counterpart. Laboratories lined the hallway. Kazami glanced at one of them, then muttered to herself.

'Neuroscience Laboratory'...?

That's what was written on the plate in front of the room. Just then, they heard voices coming from the room.

--I'm telling you this for your own safety.
I-I'm sorry...

It was Ukita and Ena. It seemed they'd already regrouped. Watase's group entered the room in high spirits.

Ukita was glaring at Ena.

H-hey, what happened -this— time?
Oh, it's you guys. Well... Ms. Tsubakiyama here was fiddling around with some machinery in this room, you see.
I already said I'm sorry... I was just curious because the room's called the 'Neuroscience Laboratory'.

When she said that, it finally hit Watase just how off that sounded.

Actually, yeah, that is weird. Old man, does 'neuroscience' have anything to do with 'nuclear power' research?
Indeed it does. First of all, you must remember that this facility's official name is the '6th Laboratory of Atomic and Biological Organization'. Thus we study both atomic power and biology here. That's how we were able to develop a medicine like AD.
I get it now... so what do -you- research, then?
My apologies, but I am not allowed to answer those sorts of questions.
Huh? Why not?
It's what they call a 'duty of confidentiality'. I can't divulge the details of our research to outsiders like yourselves. Some of our research is also related to national policy, so we can't make exceptions. Otherwise every last one of us would pay the price.
We understand. However-- we -are- permitted to enter laboratories for the search, correct?
Rather late to be asking, wouldn't you agree? Anyway, of course you are, what with the situation being what it is. Regardless... the things contained from Area 5 onwards are about as top secret as you can possibly get. Even if we can make it out of here in one piece, I strongly suggest that you do -not- tell anyone on the outside about what you saw here. The consequences for doing so could prove unexpectedly dire...

Ukita's words had a heavy weight to them.

...We'll worry about all that after we get out of here. We need to focus on finding AD right now.

Watase joined the others in searching the room, though he had a bad feeling weighing on his mind. Naturally, the large machines in the room caught everyone's eyes. Kazami inquisitively spoke up.

An MRI apparatus, a CT scanner... and isn't this an EEG instrument?
Oh, you're quite well-informed, aren't you?
Yes. I'm a certified first aid practitioner, you see. The same goes for the Captain.
I'm pretty sure I could do simple surgery myself, but, well, let's just say it'd be illegal for me to do it.

They searched as they talked, but found no AD. Yuuri then spoke up.

Um... I don't think this room has anything we need.
I concur. Why don't we search the other rooms?
Good idea... then let's split up into two teams and search the floor.
Indeed, that would be for the best. Then let's go with the same team configuration as last...

But Watase interrupted Kazami before she could finish.

No, I think that would be too inefficient. The inner ring's more consolidated than the outer ring, so let's split into teams of 4 and 2. Moribe and I will check the inner ring.
Huh?

Jun and Ena's eyes widened when they heard that.

Oh my... then I should join up with Ms. Tachibana's team, correct?
I have no problems with that. I think it's a good setup.
Right? You okay with it too, Moribe?

Blue branch, with Jun at 8 and Yuuri at 5.

Discussing the subject in detail would just be a waste of time. Watase quickly wrapped things up and dashed out of the room with Jun.

Hey Captain, why'd you ask to set up the teams this way?

Yuuri looked tired... and I figured the two of us wouldn't have much trouble coordinating our search, so we were the best pair for the smaller group.
Oh really now? That's pretty drat well thought out; think your instincts have finally come back to you?
Well, my memories haven't, but my instincts are somewhat back.
That's great. You're becoming real reliable now.

While chatting, they finally approached the connecting passageway to the inner ring--

♪ BGM: Approaching Death

But were stopped dead by the shrill ringing of the Procyon's alarm. The reading was-- ''8650 mSv''!

It's a contaminated zone!?
Crap, let's fall back!

Watase and Jun immediately ran out of the connecting passageway and shut the gate.

Watase gritted his teeth and thought the situation over.

What lay ahead of them was B2 of Area 5's inner ring-- In other words, the block right next to the contaminated zone where that girl had gone running off into.

(Then that means both blocks are completely contaminated, huh...)

To search this place would be dangerous. There was a chance he'd faint again. Watase hesitated and--

Captain, what's wrong?
W-well... would you stop me... if I said I wanted to search the contaminated zone?
Huh!? A-are you out of your mind!?
Hey, remember the girl we found in Area 4?
You mean Louise?
Right. The last place we saw her--

Watase took out his PDA and pointed to the map with one hand as he explained.

--was in B2 of Area 4's inner ring. If she had a security card, there's a chance she ran into Area 5.
In other words, right past this connecting passageway, huh...
Yeah. But both areas are contaminated zones. If she wandered in there without knowing that--
Then it's possible she might have passed out just like you did back then?
Bingo. If she did... it might be too late for her... But we can't leave her alone. Am I wrong?
Good point... and we need to find some AD too...

Jun thought it over for a bit-- then finally made up her mind and spoke.

...Okay then. If you're going, then I'm coming too.
Wait, you too!?

A yellow branch with Jun at 8.

According to the map, there's apparently six rooms there. So we should be able to take care of it if we search one room each in one min--
H-Hold on! This'll be dangerous, you know that?!
Are you listening to yourself!? It's more dangerous for you to go alone, right?!

And with that, the decision at that yellow branch now leads us directly into the next friendship scene with Jun.