Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

The end of: 09/16/2030, 12:11

♪ BGM: LABO Security Lv. 2

We... we did it! We did it we did it we did it!

The opening was big enough for even someone of Watase's stature to fit through. They could vaguely see what appeared to be the lifts control panel through the darkness.

Thank goodness...!
See? Now we can rest easy.
It would appear that all went well, correct?
Yes. I apologize for forcing a civilian like you to assist us with this task.
No, it was no problem at all. I'll do anything if it means getting out of here.

Everyone's faces had brightened now that they could get through the gate that'd been causing them so much grief.

A blue branch. Jun sits at the top at 8, Kazami and Yuuri right behind her at 7, and Ena way off in the back at 3.

(Thank God... now we've finally secured an escape route.)

It was true that they hadn't found all the survivors yet, but now they could at the very least get Yuuri, Ena, and Ukita out of there. Plus, this would mean they'd no longer have any problems with AD, and could also get backup from the rescue workers on the surface. Watase breathed a sigh of relief, looked at his comrades' faces--

Moribe, we did it!
Yeah! And it was all thanks to this engine cutter here!
You're scaring me with that look in your eyes. You sure do like that thing, huh?
Eheh, I get that a lot.

Jun gave an embarrassed smile, which Watase returned in kind.

They were all covered in soot and dust, but they were still smiling.

There'd been many a time where they'd almost given up, but they'd lost heart not even once.

(No matter how seemingly hopeless the situation... humans have the will to never give up and to keep moving forward, huh.)

It was the will to live that had welled up from the deepest part of all their hearts. It felt like the sole light of hope that'd shined through their despair.

(... Hope isn't something as simple as an escape route or AD. Hope is the fact... that all of us are comrades who fought to support each other through thick and thin.)

Watase's heart warmed at that thought. He held back his surge of emotions and spoke up.

Okay then, let's get out of here!
Then I'll go in first to make sure it's safe!
We're counting on you!
Yep, just leave it to me--

Jun went through the opening in high spirits as the others saw her off. --However, not even a second later--

♪ BGM: Ominous Ambience ♫

Jun's scream pierced through the darkness on the other side.

!?
Moribe, what's the matter!?

The rest of the group gulped and went through the opening.

There was a cargo lift for supplies big enough for people to fit on lying on the other side of the room, just as the manual had said. Jun was standing in front of it, frozen like a statue.

Moribe, what's wrong!?
Not... not another one...!

Jun pointed to the side of the lift as she said that in a trembling voice.

Wha...!?

Watase was rendered speechless at that sight.

♪ BGM: Memento Mori

--Lying there was the body of a girl.

Wh-who is this girl...? Um... is she... 'Mashiro Toba'...?

But Ena, her face as white as a sheet, answered quickly in a low voice.

No, she isn't...!
What!? Th-then... who is she...!?

Everyone just stared at the body of this girl who no one knew-- and who'd never even come up once up until this point. A hole had been pierced through her stomach.

(... A gunshot wound...!)

The blood that'd poured out of it had already dried up into a dark color. She had undoubtedly been murdered. But -when- that happened was something that no one knew. And the bigger question was--

(Why did someone kill this girl....!?)

The girl's face was completely expressionless. There wasn't a hint of fear or pain to be seen. She just stared at the floor with hollow eyes. Everyone was utterly dumbstruck. The room was now as silent as a tomb. It wasn't long before Ukita let out another surprised gasp.

... Ah!

He slowly staggered over to the panel. The Iift's control panel that was lying next to the girl--

(!!)

--had been completely destroyed. As if someone had intentionally broken it!

Ukita silently tried to work it. But nothing happened even after he pressed the switch. The lift didn't make a sound. Ukita then hit the panel in what seemed like resignation, then shook his head. A still air filled the small room yet again.

...Why...

It was Yuuri who broke up the silence.

Why did all this have to happen...!?

Her voice, brimming with bewilderment and despair, echoed through the confined room. No one could answer her. Everyone just stood absolutely still, overcome with shock...

I just want to say that Chapter 4 is where this story really picks up. Now poo poo gets real. You know, because poo poo wasn't real enough in all that stuff we've seen before.