Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Old Wound

Jun's body writhed in agony. It seemed she'd just noticed her own wound.

So well, you see... I'm sorry, but you'll have to remove your clothes so I can seal up the wound.
...Oh, well in that case... guess we've got no other choice then. But don't be surprised about what you see, okay?

Jun said that in a defeated voice, turned her back to Watase-- And unzipped her uniform. Jun didn't hesitate for a moment as she removed her uniform, then took off her bloodstained T-shirt. Her back was now exposed.

♪ BGM: Words of Healing

Watase had thought she was short-statured, but only now did it hit him just how small her body was. There was a wound about 2 cm wide bleeding below her right shoulder-blade. But that wasn't what caught Watase's eye.

...!

There was a wide scar that looked like badly inflamed skin that spanned from her right shoulder to about halfway down her back.

(Is this... a burn scar?)

It was clear that she hadn't gotten it recently, but rather along time ago.

Captain, hurry up.
R-right...

Jun's body twitched as if she were being tickled.

Sorry Moribe, but put up with it for a while.

Watase said that and continued treating her. Jun's wound finally closed up after Watase had used half the tube on it.

...Done.

Her back was sweaty, dyeing the burn scar a pale crimson.

...Does it bother you?
Ah, no... sorry...
No, don't worry about it. I'm letting you see it because it's you.

There was a faint hint of expectation in her words. Watase decided to take her up on that and satisfy his curiosity.

Say... how'd you get that burn scar? It's pretty obvious you've had it for quite a while.
I got it in a gas explosion accident ten years ago...
A 'gas explosion accident'...?

Watase was taken aback. That's right, Kazami's little sister had died in a—-!

Moribe, don't tell me you were there when it happened!

Jun quietly began talking.

...Yeah. I went to visit Nagisa at her apartment that day. The two of us were just playing around, when all of a sudden we heard this noise so loud that it felt like my ears were gonna burst-- By the time I came to my senses, we were trapped under rubble. We couldn't move around, and no one came to help no matter how much we cried for it...

--So that burn scar was probably from then. Jun continued in an awfully low voice.

Eventually, help did come, and Nagisa and l were saved... But Nagisa'd been hit on the head... and she passed away two days later.
I see... so that's what...

Watase let his voice trail off as he remained unsure of what to do. Jun continued without a hint of sorrow in her voice.

...I loved Nagisa, you know. She was so pure-hearted, kind, and considerate... I always felt like she was my salvation whenever I was with her. So when that accident happened, I wanted to do whatever I could to save her... but I was totally powerless back then...

Jun gritted her teeth in resentment toward her past self. Watase understood everything when he saw that look on her face.

So that's why you became a rescue worker...?

With that small body of hers, Jun was not suited to be a rescue worker in any definition of the term. And yet here she was. How much had she put herself through to make her body fit enough to become a rescue worker? Watase felt true admiration for that ironclad conviction of hers.

...So you entered this line of work for the same reasons as Tachibana, huh?
Yeah... well, there's more to it than just that, but yeah, it was the biggest reason. I don't want a repeat of that day ever again. I don't want my powerlessness to stop me from helping someone close to me, not when they're suffering right before my eyes. This burn scar is a symbol of that time in my life where I was weak. So I thought I'd never show it to anyone except someone I completely trust... But I never thought that someone would be you of all people. Funny, huh?

Jun gave him an awkward smile. Watase understood painfully well just how significant this scar was to Jun. So he also forced a smile and answered her.

No, I don't deserve that right. Not after I let you get hurt like that.
What're you talking about? We're buddies, so a few scratches here and there mean nothing, right?
...Buddies, huh?

That was right. Watase remembered the promise they'd made just before they ran into that contaminated zone-- He and Jun were partners who held a mutual trust in each other.

...I'm surprised you're calling me that. I mean, I've just been an unreliable greenhorn who let his squadmate get hurt.
You're not unreliable. If you were, then I wouldn't have shown you this scar that I've never let anyone else see. ...I did it because I have high hopes in you. So please... please don't do anything to betray my hopes, you hear?
Yeah, you can bet on that.
Absolutely positively?
I keep my promises. I'll keep living up to the trust you've put in me... as your buddy.

Jun then gave him a tender smile.

...Thanks, Captain. You really are a whole lot different today, you know that?
Well, I'm only half as efficient and persuasive as I normally am, but bear with me.
No, that's not what I mean. I mean that you're much kinder and gentler than normal.
Huh...?

Watase's heart leapt at those words. A small blush crossed Jun's face.

Hey... maybe you'll get mad at me for saying something like this right now... But I like the you of today. Much more than I do the normal you...

Watase gulped loudly. To receive such honest affection from a girl twelve years younger than him-- there was no way he wasn't happy about that. But any more than that left him at a loss.

Wh... what are you talking about? I'm 32 years old. I'm an old fart compared to you, you know? I'm sure there's someone much more suitable for a young girl like you--
You dummy, that's not what I meant. I meant that I'm happy to be teamed up with you as your buddy.
Ph-phew... don't startle me like that.
Ohhhh? Why so flustered? Did looking at my bare skin fill your head with dirty thoughts? Is that why you interpreted what I said that way?
Hey, I'm still a guy. I can't help it, right?

Watase and Jun shared a laugh. Laughs filled with such peaceful emotions that almost didn't match the life-or-death situation they were stuck in--

...Honestly, I wish you could stay this way forever...
Huh? But I'm me. That fact will never change.
Well, yeah, but... it's just... I worry that once you get your memories back, the you I'm looking at right now will be gone forever...
...!

--The words Jun blurted out held an ominous ring to Watase. But he quickly shook it off.

...Don't talk nonsense. I'll never go away. Not without your permission, that is...
Yeah... I'd appreciate that.

Watase gave Jun a reassuring nod to drive away her fears. They then looked at the time to find that they'd been in this room for quite a while.

Oh crap... this isn't good, old man Ukita went on ahead to keep on searching.
Huh? By himself?
We promised that we'd meet up in Area 2. I need to get a move on fast.
Then I'll come with--

Jun then tried to stand up, but she staggered on her feet.

No, you just got hit on the head. Just rest here for the time being. I'm heading in the direction of Area 2. Catch up to me once you recover.
Mmm... okay, I'll do what you say.
Yeah, see you later.

Watase waved to Jun and left the laboratory. He ran over to Area 2 as fast as he could to make up for the lost time he'd spent treating Jun.