Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Instill

To note, I'm following a walkthrough for this playthrough, meaning that there will be a lot of minor differences because of blue branches. So for instance, we have a higher Sense of Kazami in this branch in Closed Circle, and as a result...

We get a slightly different line, and a +1 to both Kazami and Jun. Also, a line right afterwards changes a bit.

Um, can I call you Ms. Kazami...?
No, please call me Tachibana instead. There's no need to be formal with me.

There will be a lot of these changes, especially with Ena, who we'll have a much higher Sense of this time around. I won't be showing all of these off, I'll make some arbitrary judgements on which are interesting and which aren't for the sake of not having too many disjointed bits where I go ''and this line in this chapter is slightly different''.

Our next diversion is in Backdraft. This yellow branch didn't pop up during our first run, and it guards the entrance to Kazami's first friendship scene, Instill.

♪ BGM: Psychological Warfare

It was at that moment that he heard a voice across the sea of fire.

Watase looked to that voice to find Jun looking at him and Kazami from the other side of the flames. Watase quickly shouted back.

M-Moribe! Throw us the hose!
On it!

Jun picked up the hose lying in the fire and tossed it with an underhand throw. The metal nozzle slid across the floor and stopped right in front of Watase.

Just standing burned his skin, and his lungs hurt every time he took a breath.

Ghh... *cough*...
Captain, don't! I'll handle this!
I'm okay! Even I can handle a little fire like this!

--!!

Watase was caught off guard for a moment. The water pressure was far greater than he'd expected. So he used all his might to keep the hose under control, knowing it'd most likely shoot right out of his hands if he let his guard down for even a second.

E... eat this!!

The hose's jetstream ran right into the brightly burning fire. However--

Although steam was rising here and there, the force of the flames didn't weaken in the slightest.

S-son of a bitch!!

Watase blindly swung the hose. Despite his efforts, the fire only grew stronger and stronger and swooped down on Watase with intense ferocity. The flames swayed, briefly licking at his left hand.

The heat shot through his gloves and burned the back of his hand. He then dropped the hose on instinct.

(O... oh poo poo!)

A bad end lies here, but first, let's finish the chapter the regular way.

Out of the way, Captain!

But then Kazami grabbed his collar and violently pulled him back.

!?
This is why I said I'd handle this! You need to get farther back!
G-got it--

As he said this, Watase noticed that there was something caught on his right hand.

It was a locket with a broken chain. Kazami had apparently dropped it when she'd tackled him earlier. Watase quickly put it in his pocket and looked at the sight that lay in front of him.

Kazami nimbly handled the hose as she told Watase this in a calm voice. She aimed the jetstream right at the edge of the fire, pushing the flames back.

Amazing...!

Kazami replied to Watase's praise with a cool and collected tone.

'Read the path of the flames, then suppress them with water. Take out the source of the fire after that'. Someone who's forgotten even that has no right to hold this hose.

Kazami quickly swung the hose as she fired off that cold answer. The water swelled like an animal and fell onto the fire in front of them. The flames that had been heartily burning with such fury earlier were now growing smaller and smaller with each passing moment. And soon enough, they were gone completely.

♪ BGM: LABO Security Lv. 2

Kazami turned off the water with that declaration. Jun quickly came running back over and called out to her teammates.

Man, that was too close for comfort, guys.
Yeah... it's all thanks to the two of you that we got out of there alive...
More importantly than that, Captain--

All of a sudden, she grabbed Watase by the collar.

Captain! Why did you give the OK without checking the IRT scanner properly!?
I-I'm sorry... I was just thinking about how badly we needed to find some AD, so I got impatient...
Impatient!? You screwed up because you were -impatient-!? You think you're fit for this line of work with such naive thoughts like that!? You won't be able to save the survivors like that, to say the least of keeping yourself safe!
S-sorry...
And why didn't you obey my orders right away!?
I-I... But I felt like I had to protect you right away back then...
Protect me...? Please do not get so conceited. It might've be a different story if you were your normal self, but you don't have that strength as you are right now.

Something in Watase's head snapped at those words.

Don't be so harsh! I'm trying to help out in my own way the best I--
'In my own way'...!?

Kazami's eyebrows twitched as she said that.

Agh!

--She then grabbed him by the nape of his neck and pushed him against the wall.

Do you seriously believe such naive thoughts like that will be enough to keep you alive in this place!? Wanting to 'do my best in my own way' or 'try as hard as I can' means nothing out here! What you need to survive is the composure to choose and take the right actions! We didn't come here to die a pointless death! We came here to save lives!
...!
Back when we found Ms. Yuuri, you tried to run into that fire without even considering your own abilities or the danger of the situation, didn't you? That also most likely stemmed from you trying to save Yuuri 'in your own way'. However-- 'Someone who would throw their own life away to save survivors is no hero. Just a fool'! Though you don't remember, those are your very own words I'm quoting here! If you've even forgotten something like that, then that makes you no different from a civilian!

Watase couldn't say anything to that. He felt like he'd been handed an epiphany of how utterly powerless and foolish he'd been. He hung his head crestfallenly and let out a feeble reply.

I... I'm sorry... I put everyone in danger because of my own careless actions...
...As long as you understand, that's good. But please make sure you never forget everything I told you just now.

Kazami let go of Watase's neck and said that. It was then that Jun nervously cut in.

...Lieutenant, it's not the captain's fault. Any other day and he wouldn't have this problem.
Yes, you're correct. Normally, he wouldn't be the kind of person to take such rash actions.

Those words pierced Watase's heart. She was right: the Watase Kasasagi of today was completely different from the normal Watase Kasasagi. So he wished that he could, at the very least, learn from his past self.

At this point, we cut back into Backdraft proper with Watase saying ''Hey, Tachibana... exactly what kind of rescue worker was the normal me like?''. So this friendship chapter was kind of a variation on what we saw in the regular one, except with Watase being more of an idiot and Kazami getting even more pissed off. Next, let's cut back and see how we could have died here.