Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Cross-Examination: 09/16/2030, 14:20

♪ BGM: Evil and Nightmares

Now, we can really cock this part up by making the wrong Senses inputs. And if we mess all of them up, we actually spring right into a bad end. So of course, we're going to do that. First, here, we need to have our Sense of Ukita be higher than our Sense of Watase.

Where were you and what were you doing in that six minute blank?
W-well... I was really out of it after seeing that body... When I came to my senses, I was walking down the inner ring's hallway... but as for where and what I was doing...
But that's not true. The archive footage even shows that there was no body in the first place!

Note the Favor changes. That's a whopping -3 to both Kazami and Jun.

Watase instinctively fell quiet. His memory of finding the body was crystal clear-- but his ''subjective'' memory had been smashed into pieces by the ''objective'' video footage.

Wh-what's the meaning of this, Captain... why would you ever lie like that?
Why, you ask? I believe it is quite obvious. He used that as an excuse to show up late to the factory... Then probably took that opportunity to steal the AD under our noses.
!!

Everyone gasped at Ukita's accusation.

It then proceeds as normal until the next input.

Here, the wrong choice is to have Watase's Sense of self be low.

...!
Hiyama barely managed to escape, but in the end he got burned to death. And if we think of it that way, then perhaps Yuuri and that girl who died by the lift... were also witnesses. Oh, and that's right, Louise-- you know, the one who runs away from you every time she sees you-- may also be a witness.

Oh? Does this mean that even you suspect that it's the truth?
...!

It had been for a second-- only a mere second-- but he had indeed suspected that.

God damnit, Ukita, what are you doing in this game, you should be a prosecutor in Ace Attorney.

(Th-that's right... now that I think about it, a lot of things were strange from the beginning. The reason Salyu kept running away was because... she was running from -me-? ... No way... Is that true...?)

Watase looked around, seeking help. He looked eyes with Kazami. A troubled look rose to her face.

In this case, the deadly combination is a low Sense for Jun and Kazami, and a high Sense for Watase.

I-I don't know...
Then... do you at least know if I ever acted like I might...?
I really don't know.

Th-that can't be! Dojima and I were your coworkers, right!? So how could you not know any--

But before Watase could say any more,

How could I possibly know when you never once talked about yourself!?

Kazami interjected with a stinging voice.

...!!

Watase gasped. Kazami stared at him with dull eyes.

No. Before you lost your memories, you were a man who put his distance between others... You never once told anyone what you were thinking, nor did you even attempt to. No one...
I... I never talked about myself...?
Yes... It was like...
...Like he had something to hide...!?

Jun finished the sentence that Kazami had bitterly begun weaving.

...What would I want to hide?

Jun answered Watase's obvious question in a dry voice.

Who knows...?
Hey... are you taking this seriously?
Well, it's just, now that I think about it... I don't know anything about your private life either. I just know you on a work basis...

Watase was astonished. He'd thought that Kazami and Jun would trust him. Just as he trusted them. Yet they didn't trust not only the Watase without his memories, but even the him from -when- he had his memories.

(This isn't happening...!)

Watase's feet started shaking. Jun glared at him and spoke.

Captain... tell us the truth... Why did you really go down to the basement...? You normally would have never left a command post to begin with, so why...? Come on, tell me... Captain... did you really come here to save lives...? If you didn't... Then I swear I'll make you pay, you hear...?

Anger was slowly building in Jun's eyes. No, it wasn't as simple as anger. --It was the intent to kill. Jun glared at Watase with bloodthirsty eyes.

No, you're wr...

He wanted to say she was wrong, but he couldn't. He knew anything he said here would sound hollow.

Alas, since we screwed the pooch pretty hard here, Ena will not come to our rescue. Instead, we're right into a bad end chapter.