Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

BEYOND COMMUNICATION: 09/10/2030, 08:40

♪ BGM: Languid Hours of Rokumei City

A particularly important part of Rokumei Academy's curriculum. Its lessons take place in a special ''BC room''.

The course teacher, Ena Tsubakiyama, stood at the podium with her pointer directed at the screen.

--As the ages change, so too do humanity's means of communication.
(This lecture again... Prof. Tsubakiyama really loves this story, huh.)

Ena would often tell stories about BC like this. However, today's story was unusually basic information.

Long ago, the humans who communicated their ideas through mere actions and gestures eventually developed the spoken word. Then writing was born, and not long afterwards, the printing press, the telegraph, the telephone, and the internet... A communication evolution, so to speak. But at the turn of the century-- human communication came upon a major upheaval. Indeed, as you all know! That upheaval was the discovery of BC!

Ena controlled the computer as she spoke-- --and text appeared on the screen.

People of the past would simply write it off as ESP, wouldn't they? However, this is no matter of the occult. The word 'occult' itself is derived from the Latin word for 'conceal' or 'hide'. Such a widely accepted phenomenon can no longer be considered part of the occult.

Ena was exactly right. People who can use BC, popularly known as ''Communicators''-- --have made their existence known worldwide for the past 16 years or so.

The historical turning point was in 2014. The year BC's existence was more or less proven scientifically. And just like clockwork, several Communicators started to be born worldwide that same year.

2014 was the year Natsuhiko and Mashiro were born.

Tips posted:

TIP: Grand Communicator Discovery
Category: Fiction

Refers to the year 2014, when elementary particle physicist Miyoko Tenkawa proposed the ''Informational Field Hypothesis'' and the Andresy Witch Hunt made the world keenly aware of the existence of BC. As if in concert with those events, newborn children around the world began to be born with mutated IGF2R genes. The rate of incidence of these births grew year by year, and now in 2030, roughly 166,000 people are Ability Level 1 or higher, meaning about 0.002% of the 8.3 billion people alive are Communicators.

Incidentally, Japan has an exceptionally high percentage of Communicators, with roughly 4,800 people at Ability Level 1, or about 0.004% of the 120,000,000 Japanese citizens. People joke that the increased proportion is due to the Japanese culture of not expressing one's inner emotions, but the real reason for Japan having a rate twice that of the world average is still unclear.

Society transformed in many ways in the following years, but Natsuhiko was not quite sure of the details.

(... I've heard humans don't remember things that don't interest them. I guess it's true.)

In stark contrast to Natsuhiko's listlessness, Ena continued her eloquent lecture.

Now then-- there are two abilities available to Communicators. The first is 'telepathy', the ability to convey one's ideas to others. This ability was discovered directly following the Grand BC Discovery 16 years ago. The second is 'empathy', the ability to read the minds of others. The existence of this ability was proven the following year. Quite a few of you can use telepathy, right? The number of telepathy users has been growing each year. In Japan specifically, the rate of new Communicator discovery has grown consistently over the past 16 years. This is truly an example of the Japanese--

The ability Mashiro used to stop the bus earlier this morning was a prime example of telepathy. But the extent of the ability she used there was not at all uncommon.

(The ''Esper's Nest', huh...)

Natsuhiko sighed as he recalled the honorable, yet somehow odd nickname given to his school.

(Elite, huh...)

Natsuhiko coldly pondered the principal's words.

--And actually, Japan was the first country to advance training initiatives. A grand slam for the country if I must say so myself. As a direct result, there's been widespread...

Eventually, out of the entire class of bored students, a few began to call out with wry smiles on their faces.

Male Student 1: Um, Teach, don't you think today's introduction is just a little too basic for us?
Male Student 2: I don't think there's a single student in this school that doesn't know this already.
Female Student 1: Yeah, I'd rather hear more of your usual BC knowledge.
Oh, I'm sorry, I'm sorry. I guess I got a bit carried away. I was up late last night watching a documentary on the birth of BC.

Ena cleared her throat and erased the text on the screen. Somewhat sadly.

...Now then, let's leave the lecture at that. How about we start practical lessons now? Let's partner up, everybody.

Which is why students often sat next to people they were close to in this class.

Now then, class, start practicing!

At that signal, everyone began practicing at once. And immediately, the noisy ''whispers'' of telepathy filled Natsuhiko's head. If these whispers were to reach the other classrooms, they'd be a nuisance. However, the BC room's walls used a material that dampened the conduction of telepathy, allowing the students to practice without worrying about their noise.

When Natsuhiko turned her way and said this, Mashiro couldn't help but curl her lips into a dauntless smile.

Oh? Are you challenging Ms. 'Level 3' Mashiro to a BC competition?
Why do you always have to make it into a competition? This is just practice, you know.
But I've long since mastered telepathy, you know. You're the one who needs practice, right Natsuhiko? I'll be your practice partner, so hit me with your best shot. Hey, c'mon!
Hmph, you're so full of yourself...

♪ BGM: Extra-Sensory Perception

This posture is key to facilitating the use of telepathy. It's the same technique Mashiro used when she stopped the bus.

Natsuhiko brought those words to mind.

And concentrated hard to get her to hear his voice.

--!
...Mmm!?

Natsuhiko opened his eyes to see Mashiro grinning at him.

♪ BGM: Foolishness

Loud and clear~ 'You're oh so very cute, Mashiro! So lovely! Supah kawaii!' and such.
Hmm, I see. So whatever I think, you hear the exact opposite. Looks like we've just discovered a brand new ability.
Huh, the exact opposite!?
Well, in any case, telepathy's just too hard for me. I still don't feel like I can do it.
Hey, it's too early to give up. It's not like you can expect to suddenly run before you can walk, you know?
Look, it's not a simple issue of effort. I'm just not cut out for it.

In the six-level system of ability ranking, his was the lowest at Level 0. An extreme oddity for students of this school. But suddenly, a voice of concern called out to them.

♪ BGM: Achiever / Theme of Ena

Oh, you think so too, Ms. Ena?
Hmm... but personally, I don't think I do.
But your 'aptitude' measurement from childhood was quite high, wasn't it?
Yeah, but...

Even he found that a mystery himself.

This measurement was called ''aptitude'', and was broken down into six ranks: E, D, C, B, A, and S. And for some reason, Natsuhiko's aptitude was top-class at Rank S. But despite his aptitude, his talent was nonexistent. And he wasn't just teased once or twice about it. Which may or may not be a factor as to why Natsuhiko thoroughly hated the use of BC now.

...I'm thinking maybe that aptitude test was just wrong somehow.
That can't be. Aptitude is determined from birth and stays the same your entire life. It's never changed from Rank S despite all the tests you've had each April, has it?
Well, guess not...

Secretly, that wasn't the whole truth-- but it was along story, so Natsuhiko just left it at that.

Even I'm just Rank B. Theoretically you should have more talent than me, Natsuhiko.
Well, talent doesn't necessarily translate to ability, you know.
What are you saying? Be more confident in yourself! I've never seen another Rank S student besides you, Mr. Tenkawa.
You're too soft on Natsuhiko, Ms. Ena~ You shouldn't coddle him like that!
Now, now, don't say things like that. I love all of my students equally, you know? Though I do admit I am quite intrigued by the disparity between Mr. Tenkawa's aptitude and ability.

Natsuhiko inadvertently looked away as soon as he saw Ena's teasing smile.

(I know she's not trying to be mean, but... I really don't like it when people bring up the topic of BC.)
Anyway, you're just a late bloomer, Mr. Tenkawa. Try hard and get Ms. Toba to help teach you.
Leave it to me, Ms. Ena. I'll slap some sense into him!
...P-please be gentle.

--And thus, Natsuhiko and Mashiro practiced telepathy for a while. But as always, Natsuhiko showed no signs of a breakthrough-- And the end of class drew near. Having been Natsuhiko's practice partner for his entire school career, Mashiro was stumped.

♪ BGM: Languid Hours of Rokumei City

...Mmm, looks like today's no good either.
Yeah, no good.
You're always so unmotivated, Natsuhiko. Even though you've got such a cute practice partner.
You say so, but you know... Telepathy isn't really all that useful to begin with.
Come again? That's an unbecoming statement for a student of this school.
I mean, look. If you want to 'convey ideas to others', why don't you just speak to them verbally? At best, you can use it to communicate with someone farther away, but--
Tsk tsk tsk. You really don't get it, do you, Natsuhiko? Your voice isn't the only thing you can convey with telepathy. You can even convey thoughts and emotions that can't be put into words.
I know that, but is it even really that useful? I just don't get it.
Ah geez, have you no sense of wonder!? Fine. In that case, let me give you a little first-hand demonstration!

Mashiro put her finger up to her temple, exasperated.

Huh, no, you really don't have to...

The moment those words left Natsuhiko's lips-- Mashiro's voice rang through his head.

{How do you expect to practice when you're that distracted!?}
...!

Along with hearing Mashiro's words, Natsuhiko felt her ''emotion''-- anger and resentment.

Y... you saw that?
Yeah. So much that I'm starting to realize how stupid it was of me to practice with you.
I-I see. I'm sorry about that. (I wasn't really aware I was doing it myself... I guess older women are one of my weaknesses.)

The moment that thought passed through Natsuhiko's mind, Ena stood at the podium and spoke.

How was practice today? Get any good results?
Male Student 1: Haah, I guess...
Female Student 1: My point-blank range telepathy's pretty much perfect now!

Candid answers flew across the room from all directions. Ena smiled and addressed her students.

Sounds like everyone's walking at their own pace. But for those of you who aren't seeing much improvement, there's no need to rush. BC mastery takes time, after all. However... regardless of your ability level or total practice time, there's one thing I can say with certainty. The most important thing for BC is-- without a doubt, 'concentration'! Unlike the other five senses, you need concentration that transcends common sense if you want to draw out the 'sixth sense'!
Male Student 1: Mmm, but I -am- trying to concentrate...

A boy who seemed quite lacking in concentration mused. Ena smiled and replied.

It can't be halfhearted concentration. It's said that the concentration necessary for BC use is so extreme that it causes the five senses to dampen in turn. In certain cases, even vital signs like body temperature and pulse can drop... Once you reach that state of concentration, a new power will awaken in your brain, opening the door to the world of BC.

Upon hearing that statement, Natsuhiko secretly thought to himself.

(Concentration, huh... That's the one thing I lack the most of in this class.)

The moment he thought that-- --was right around the same time the dismissal bell rang.

Okay, that's the end of today's BC class. Good work, everybody!