Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

FALSE ALARM: 09/14/2030, 14:06

I hope the school's okay...
I'm sure it is. At the least, I don't think it's been blasted to bits.
I sure hope so...

And as they had that conversation, the bus dropped them off in front of school, but--

♪ BGM: Anxious Times of Rokumei City

The grounds were awfully silent. The commotion seemed to have died down already.

Was there really a dangerous object set here?
There was an announcement to that effect at least. We don't know the particulars eith--

As Salyu began to speak, they heard an angry voice coming from somewhere.

Hey! You kids!
Ah, Professor!

They looked to see Ena rushing over to them.

Geez. Don't go off and do things on your own. You had me worried.
I-I'm sorry, Ms. Ena! It's my fault...
Oh, why hello there, Ms. Toba. Didn't you have a cold or something?
Um, no, it wasn't that... just some minor business.
You can't take school off for just some minor business.
S—sorry.

Mashiro quietly bowed her head.

By the way, Professor, what happened with all the commotion about the dangerous object?
Oh, seems like it was just a false alarm.
A false alarm?
There was something that looked like a time bomb set in one of the bathrooms... but it turned out to just be a toy.
A toy? What does that all mean?
I don't know... Somebody's bad idea of a prank, perhaps. Incidents like this seem to be happening a lot lately, though... It's so troublesome...

Ena didn't seem to know the entire truth behind the situation either.

I see... then I guess that means there's no point in us staying here too long, then. Let's go, guys.
Huh?

Mashiro pulled Natsuhiko and Salyu by the arm and ran off. Ena shouted in surprise from behind.

H-hey, where do you three think you're going!? Classes are starting back up again, so don't just walk away!
Sorry! Just some minor business!
Like I just said, minor business is not an acceptable excuse to skip class! Hey!

Her voice eventually faded away into the distance.

H-hey, Mashiro! What do you think you're doing!?
Um, Mashiro, you're hurting my arm.

Once Natsuhiko and Salyu finally complained, Mashiro stopped and answered.

It doesn't matter. Tomorrow's Sunday, anyway. So any lingering agitation will have abated by the start of next week. I mean, Ms. Ena IS soft on Natsuhiko after all.
Hey...!

But even if they returned to school now, they'd only make it back in time for sixth period at best anyway. Ena's impressions bothered him just a little bit-- but Natsuhiko set that aside and instead turned to Mashiro.

Well, fine... so, what? What do you want us to do since you dragged us away with you?
...Well, actually, if it's okay with you... I really want you guys to help me with the search for terrorists.
Huh!?
It doesn't look like I can get you to believe me, but... I don't want to just sit by and watch as a possible crisis befalls on the city I live in.
But even if there actually are terrorists, it'd be hard for us to stop them on our own, wouldn't it?
True. But just because something 'looks impossible' doesn't mean it's okay to sit by and do nothing, does it?

Salyu gasped. Perhaps she was thinking those words resembled what Natsuhiko had told her earlier. Mashiro's words made Natsuhiko reconsider his own thoughts slightly as well.

(I guess words really can't persuade, her, huh...)

But if he were to leave Mashiro as is, she would probably just start acting on her own. Even if there weren't any terrorists, Natsuhiko had to admit that he'd worry about Mashiro if he let her out of his sight.

(Fine... I guess I'll play along with Mashiro until she's satisfied.) Okay, Mashiro... if you're going to so far as to say all that, I'll help you out.
Huh!? R-really!?
On the one condition that it'll just be for today for now. I'll consider what I'll do tomorrow when tomorrow comes.
That's more than good enough for me, Natsuhiko!

Mashiro finally smiled.

What about you, Salyu?
... I cannot recommend something as dangerous as searching for terrorists. But if you say so, Natsuhiko, then fine... I'll help too.
You too, Salyu!? Yay, I'm so happy! Thanks so much, you two! It was so discouraging to do it alone!

She's so selfish-- Natsuhiko thought with a wry smile.

Okay, then where sh0uld we head next?
Hmm, where should we...? The first thing that bothers me is that the bomb threat at school was a false alarm. Doesn't that strike you as strange? It makes me worry about the reality of the other incidents, too.
Other incidents?
You know, all that commotion that's been going on in town lately, like those fires, or the objectionable literature.

Natsuhiko recalled the news he heard several days before.

Newscaster: Last night, a fire broke out at the 'BC Development Center', a research facility in Rokumei City. Six research buildings burned down.

Come to think of it, didn't Ena just say that there were many similar incidents happening lately?
In that case, we should try asking the people who've been targeted. Which place got the objectionable literature again?
Pretty sure it was the BC Training Center.
Okay! Then let's head right on over there!
Huh...? But that's a little far.
What, it's not -that- far a distance! C'mon, let's go!

Mashiro ran off again, nearly dragging the other two behind her. Towards the BC Training Center, situated in the heart of the city.