Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

WORLD'S END

Our next friendship scene also comes during TELL ME ABOUT YOURSELF - Natsuhiko is talking with Yuuri on the phone, and when mentioning camping out with Mashiro and Salyu, he remembers something...

That was a lie. A small diversion in the off chance that the phone actually was tapped.

Camping? Out in the park? Will the girls be okay?
Well, Mashiro's a pretty hardy fellow, you know. And despite her looks, Salyu's actually quite a wild girl.
Huh~?
What? I'm saying you don't need to worry. It should be fine to sleep outside at night every now and then.
Mmm, maybe you're right...

Yuuri suddenly whispered in a quiet voice.

...This sure brings me back, Hikorin. Something like this happened a long time ago too, didn't it?
Huh?
Remember? That time we ran away from home.

Yuuri's question jogged Natsuhiko's memory. The conclusion to their running away from home experience--

...Yeah. I remember.

Natsuhiko felt the visions of a day long past rise up once more from the bottom of his heart.

After he had said that in the park-- Natsuhiko took Yuuri by the hand and first headed back to the Tenkawa household.

♪ BGM: Peacemaker / Theme of Yuuri

Normally, it made him lonely, but that day it was actually more convenient for her to be absent.

(I'm sure Mom would get mad at me if she found out...)

And if that happened, she'd probably send Yuuri home right off the bat. Natsuhiko couldn't ask any adults for help. Not even his own mother. He had to be the one to protect Yuuri.

Okay. Let's prepare, Yuuri.
Prepare... what exactly?
I've got a backpack, so let's put everything we need inside. First, we obviously need food. No questions there.
Yeah. Or we'll get hungry.

The kids fished around the kitchen. They looked for foods that didn't need to be cooked, particularly on the snacks shelf.

Hey, Natsuhiko? You think we should bring these too?
What's that...? Wait, that's instant ramen, isn't it? No, no, no. We might have to go somewhere without a kitchen, you know?
We just need to make a fire in that case. So we're taking them! No buts!
H-hey now...
Ah! If we need to make a fire, we should bring a lighter then, right?

Yuuri gleefully picked out the things for them to bring. Her mood had shifted so suddenly. She was enjoying herself now.

...Well, fine.

Deep down, Natsuhiko was excited too. It was a brand new adventure. A journey of justice to protect Yuuri. An illusion of a new future. The kids were exhilarated. --A short while later, the backpack was stuffed to the brim. Natsuhiko put on his precious watch, and they were ready to disembark.

All right... Let's go, Yuuri!
Yeah!

Natsuhiko took Yuuri by the arm and left the house.

Anywhere's fine. Anywhere far away from that house, at least...
Okay, then let's head to the secret base.
Secret base?
It's in the outskirts of town. We found it the other day when we went exploring.
Let's go there then. I'll follow you, Natsuhiko.
Okay! Full speed ahead!
Yeah!

With an enthusiastic cheer, the kids walked in the opposite direction from Yuuri's house--

It was the end of May, and yet the night air was surprisingly chilly. Each time the wind blew, their body heat gradually sapped away. But that was only a trivial matter to them. They advanced down their path feeling like they were the only people on Earth. Eventually, they reached a discolored building. It was a ruined factory that was no longer in use.

Yeah, we made it our own by bringing lots of different stuff into it! Let's get inside already. Hold my hand so you don't get lost.
Y-yeah...

Natsuhiko moved briskly in the darkness. He had played there countless times, so he already had a complete understanding of what was where.

Let's see, if I remember correctly~...

Natsuhiko reached out in the darkness. And a moment later--

Wow...

A soft light filled the room. Natsuhiko had lit an oil lamp with the lighter.

This is a lamp I brought from home. As long as we have this, we'll be fine, even at night!
Wow, I never knew there was a place like this...

Yuuri looked around with a twinkle in her eye. A variety of objects of all shapes and sizes adorned the ruined factory. From furniture like an old sofa or cupboard, to outdoor items like a charcoal stove or a parasol. Time killers like manga and toys, as well as items of questionable usefulness like a wrench, a millstone, and a pair of nunchaku.

I know. Cool, right? Not just me, but everyone brought all kinds of things. Stuff they'd find or bring from home.

Yuuri smiled out of honest enjoyment. Natsuhiko felt happy too and pointed to the sofa.

Well, let's take a seat. We've walked a lot, so you must be hungry, right?

The kids sat down next to each other and took the snacks out of the backpack. They ate the sweet biscuits as they talked.

We've got blankets and sleeping bags. We're all set to stay the night.

Of course! Mashiro and the others have been making this place a stronghold lately. I'm sure they'll be able to help out in a lot of ways. We'll have nothing to worry about. Every day's gonna be fun.
Heehee. I can't wait...

Yuuri smiled as she gazed at the lamp. The light cast a shadow on her face.

...Actually, I've never had a single fun memory until I came to this town.
Huh...? Really?
Yeah... I am a Communicator after all, you know?
Yeah, but so what...?
Before I started school, I took a 'gene attic' test and found out I had Rank C 'Attitude'... And then Mom and Dad started to treat me like a pest. Well, they got mad a lot before that, though. I never did anything fun after that. Every day was a sad day. So I tried my bestest to practice BC. I thought that if I could read minds, I could learn why Mom and Dad hate me so much... ...But it didn't work. The harder I tried, the more Mom and Dad treated me like a pest.

Yuuri's voice was deathly quiet-- Which made it all the more heart-rending.

...Yuuri.

Even though he had never had such an experience, he could still understand her sadness. He frantically searched his meager vocabulary for the right words to say to her.

...I won't ever treat you like a pest.
Huh...?
I'll stay with you forever, Yuuri. There's no need for you to read minds or anything, either. So you don't have to worry anymore.

Natsuhiko's awkward encouragement made her smile with joy from the bottom of her heart.

...Thank you, Natsuhiko.
Well, even if you are a Communicator, I don't mind it at all. We're friends, after all.
...You're right. And besides... there is one thing that makes me glad I was born a Communicator.
Huh?
Well, it's because that's how I met you. If I wasn't a Communicator, I never would've moved to this town.

Yuuri looked at Natsuhiko as she spoke.

Natsuhiko couldn't help but look away. He felt an unknown emotion welling up from the bottom of his heart. His face felt unbearably hot and he couldn't form any words.

Huh? What's wrong...?
N-nothing. Part of a biscuit just got caught in my throat, that's all.
Huh? Are you okay?
Y-yeah, I'm fine now. I'm strong, after all.
Okay, thank goodness.

Yuuri sighed in relief. Sadness was no longer anywhere to be seen on her face. Natsuhiko sighed too as he pondered.

(... Thank goodness. It looks like taking her away from home was the right choice.)

Natsuhiko looked at the lamp. He felt as if he could see a bright future waiting for them reflected in its flames.

(... Looks like Yuuri won't have to cry anymore now. Hopefully she can learn to forget all the sad things that've happened so far--)

But the moment Natsuhiko felt that optimism...

♪ BGM: Silence ♫

Hmm... Looks like it ran out of fuel, I guess. ...Let's resupply tomorrow.

Yuuri's voice was listless.

(Crap. I shoulda made sure there was enough fuel...)

As Natsuhiko mulled over that mistake, Yuuri murmured beside him.

...Natsuhiko, are you there?
Huh? Yeah, why?
What's wrong?
...I'm kinda scared now... Can we stay closer together?
Y-yeah.

Natsuhiko huddled up with Yuuri as told. He could feel the warmth of her arm against his. But the air gradually cooled and caressed their skin.

Kinda chilly...
...Yeah.
I wonder if Dad's gonna come to take me back...
He won't. But even if he does, I'll--

A sound from outside interrupted Natsuhiko. --The sound of footsteps.

♪ BGM: Ominous Ambience ♫

Who's there...!?
I-it's Dad... Dad's come to take me away...!
!
...N-Natsuhiko...!

Yuuri tugged on Natsuhiko's sleeve. Natsuhiko placed his hand over hers.

...It's okay. I'll deal with your dad.
N-no... If you make him mad, he'll beat you for hours, Natsuhiko...
I don't care if I take a beating if it's for you, Yuuri--
No! You mustn't! I don't want you to get beaten either, Natsuhiko!
Shh!

Natsuhiko panicked and interrupted Yuuri. For even as they spoke, the sound of footsteps got closer. Up to the entrance of the ruined factory.

(I really do need to deal with him, though... no matter what Yuuri might say.)

Natsuhiko silently stood up and rushed toward the footsteps.

Natsuhiko!
Don't worry! I'll protect you, Yuuri!

Someone's shadow stood at the entrance. Judging by its size alone, it had to have been an adult.

(Gotta rush up to him and punch him in the face! Then I'll say ''Stop picking on Yuuri''!)

That was all he had in mind. Natsuhiko rushed at the shadow and then--

???: Natsuhiko?

That voice stopped him.

Huh? M-Mom!?

♪ BGM: Languid Hours of Rokumei City

The professor threw Natsuhiko one look and said:

Don't 'Huh, Mom?' me! I was worried sick about you! When I got back, you weren't home and the kitchen was a mess... But thank goodness I was able to find you relatively quickly.
Wh-why are you here, Mom...!?
I panicked and called the Tobas. Mashiro told me about this place. I rushed over here as soon as I found out. I haven't run so much in about five years.
Is that so...

Natsuhiko sighed, all his tension slackened in a matter of seconds. But his sense of relief was blown away by the professor's next words.

...Huh? Who's that over there?
!

The professor noticed something moving in the darkness behind Natsuhiko. Yuuri hesitantly peeped up and walked up out of the shadows.

...She's my new friend, Yuuri.

After the kids' reluctant introduction, the professor spoke in exasperation.

Ahh, so you're the daughter of the Kotonos who moved in the other day? You should know better, Natsuhiko. You can't keep a girl out this late.
B-but...

The professor ignored Natsuhiko and smiled at Yuuri.

I'm so sorry, Yuuri. Come on, let's bring you home. I'm sure your parents are worried about you.
!

Yuuri's whole body twitched at the word ''parents''. She looked to the professor with tears in her eyes.

O—oh my? What's the matter?

In the professor's confusion, Natsuhiko made a bold declaration.

♪ BGM: Anxious Times of Rokumei City

M-Mom...! Please don't bring Yuuri back to that house!
Huh? There's no way I can just--
You can't take her back there! Yuuri doesn't want to go back to a house like that! Yuuri's mom and dad treat her like she's a pest just because she's a Communicator! Every day, they shout, they say mean things, and they kick her out of the house!
...They what...!?

The professor's face stiffened for a moment.

... Is that true, Yuuri?

After a short moment's hesitation, Yuuri painfully nodded. Natsuhiko endured the sadness and continued.

...That's why I wanted to save Yuuri. I thought that if she just lived in this secret base, she'd never have to go back to that house again...
...!

The professor sank into silence with a grim look on her face before placing her hands on Natsuhiko's shoulders.

...I understand the circumstances. But still-- By no means can she live here. Children cannot live by themselves.
No way! You're so mean, Mom. Yuuri just--
And that's why--!

The professor held Natsuhiko still as he started pleading with her.

--I will do something about this myself.
Huh...!?

♪ BGM: Words of Healing

You can relax, Yuuri. I promise I'll make things right.

The professor smiled at Yuuri. And, as if all of Yuuri's threads of tension had snapped--

*sob*... *sob*...

She burst into tears in a stifled voice.

Y-Yuuri...

Natsuhiko rushed up to Yuuri in a panic to hold her hand. Yuuri squeezed his hand back and spoke.

Th-thank you so much... Thank you, Natsuhiko... and Mrs. Natsuhiko's Mom...!

Yuuri's sobs echoed in the darkness. Natsuhiko’s mother said nothing. Natsuhiko himself said nothing. All he could do was keep holding Yuuri's hand as she sobbed--

And with that, we return to TELL ME ABOUT YOURSELF.