Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Towa mo Nakaba wo Sugite: Half Past Eternity: 09/16/2030, 06:29

She guided him gradually towards mental preparedness.

♪ BGM: Extra-Sensory Perception

First, she had to make Natsuhiko aware of his own growth. Next, she had to strengthen how he felt about his bonds with other people around him.

(In Hikorin's mind, time stopped nine years ago. I've gotta get it moving again...)

Even Yuuri could clearly see that his impressions of Mashiro and Salyu were far worse than what they actually should be. Which was likely the result of how he had closed his heart to others for many years. But if he kept that up, he would have no chance of handling the impending truth.

Yuuri took extreme care to ensure that her modifications would seamlessly blend with reality.

Yuuri would take it upon herself to show him a fabricated memory of ''a tragic future'' that would await him if he didn't change his ways. It was a drastic measure, but she couldn't think of any better methods. However, as a result of that effort, Natsuhiko's heart gradually opened.

She hinted that soon enough, his false peace would end and he would have to part with the phantom. Natsuhiko was perplexed at first, but eventually, he gained the strength to face the past.

Automatic PA: In accordance with this emergency, security has shifted to Blockade Mode. Looking down all gates and bulkheads.

Even when he encountered a Case N announcement in Area 5, he did not despair. As she saw the results of Natsuhiko's progression, Yuuri thought to herself.

(With this... Hikorin might be able to accept the truth.)

Natsuhiko's headache was gone as suddenly as it had come. His mental preparation was almost complete.

The finishing touch-- make Natsuhiko realize the fact that Mashiro had been supporting him all these nine years. If he only knew, he'd be thankful for Mashiro and would perhaps be able to cope with Yuuri's death.

Natsuhiko hadn't noticed it, so Yuuri tried to inform him of it, but-- --immediately after she did, there was an unforeseen turn of events.

--a file of newspaper articles covering the incident nine years ago.

H... huh...!?

Natsuhiko's body trembled. He looked towards Yuuri in a daze.

(Ah... oh no! It's still a little too early! But now that it's come to this, there's nothing I can do but gamble on Hikorin's mental strength...!)

Yuuri prepared herself and sent telepathy to Natsuhiko.

♪ BGM: Memento Mori

It was a conclusive statement heralding the end of a long dream.

...No...

Natsuhiko's innermost thoughts propagated to Yuuri as well. His confusion, sorrow, agitation, fear-- and despair. But even so, Yuuri continued.

...Hikorin, it's time to say goodbye.
--
...I'm sorry for deceiving you for so long. I wanted to support you... ...But I'm sure you'll be okay without me now. You've noticed it these past few days, haven't you? You're not alone, Hikorin.

--Yuuri spoke sincerely. To move Natsuhiko's heart. But her voice didn't get through to him.

...Ugh, aah....

--Natsuhiko groaned faintly--

--AaaaaAAAAAGGHH!!

--and screamed madly.

(N-no way...! That still wasn't enough!?)

Yuuri fell into despair once more. She had no idea that the curse of hers that bound him was that strong--! And then, the door opened and Mashiro rushed in.

Natsuhiko, I heard a scream. What happened!?
...Yuuri... ...She disappeared...

As if to spew out the sorrow of losing Yuuri and the bitterness of having been lied to for nine whole years.

Yuuri's gone, isn't she!? She's been gone for nine goddamn years! And you just played along with my madness, didn't you!? Is this your idea of a joke!?
N-no...!

Both Natsuhiko and Mashiro's eyes welled up with tears. And as she observed the situation through Natsuhiko's eyes-- Yuuri too was saddened.

(No, Hikorin...! You mustn't hold it against Mashiron...! She's been there supporting you all this time...!)

Yuuri was rife with regret.

(What should I have done...? What should I do for Hikorin--)

But before Yuuri could think any further-- --the unexpected happened.

♪ BGM: Ominous Ambience ♫

(!?)

His consciousness was abruptly thrown into that endless darkness.

{Huh... Wh-what is this...!?}

Natsuhiko was astonished. But Yuuri understood what was happening.

(No way...! Hikorin's sympathized with Mashiron's mind!?)

Though he had shown signs of it the previous night, it was still an unexpected, but welcome surprise.

(Th... that's it! Now Hikorin should be able to understand Mashiron's feelings...!)

Natsuhiko peered into Mashiro's memories, bewildered at what was going on.

♪ BGM: Words of Healing

Mashiro...! I'm sorry...! I'm so sorry...!
Huh...?
You've always been there to support me, haven't you... You've always been there for me, right by my side...!

(Thank goodness... Now Hikorin and Mashiron... are both truly free from my curse.)

And now her role was complete. With that feeling of closure-- Yuuri calmly disconnected from Natsuhiko's mind.

♪ BGM: Silence ♫

What spread out before her eyes was an empty room. But the sight of the lonely room began to blur.

Huh... why am I...?

Yuuri realized that she was crying. Natsuhiko was free from Yuuri's curse. Free to be with Mashiro. She thought that was what she had always wished for, and yet-- Yuuri felt as if her heart had been torn in two.

... No... this is for the best...!

--Just then... She heard a knock on the shelter door.

Ah... Professor?

Yuuri was taken aback and rushed over to the door. If the professor had returned, then Yuuri wanted her shoulder to cry on. She was the only one who understood Yuuri. The only one who shared her sadness. Someone she could truly call ''Mom''. But when she opened the door--

♪ BGM: Psychological Warfare

...!?
Finally found you... You're a person of interest to this lab, right?
Who... who are you?
I'm a rescue worker. I'm here to save you guys.

His voice sounded familiar. It sent shivers of anxiety down her spine.

(Where have I heard that voice...!?)

She soon remembered.

You're... with Q!?

The man unintentionally gasped. For a moment, his face froze over. But that face soon warped into a wicked expression.

Hey... did you cheat and use BC? To read my mind?
Well, whatever. You're coming with me.

And with that, the man grabbed Yuuri by the arm.

N-no! Stop it!
Please don't struggle! I won't have to get violent as long as you behave!

It was very hard to take the man's words at face value.

(Then I'll just have to erase his--!)

Yuuri plotted to destroy the man's memory and run. But before she could-- a pain ran through her neck.

Oww!

Though she didn't understand what just happened, Yuuri tried to use BC.

(... Huh?)

But nothing happened. She couldn't destroy the man's memory-- She couldn't even use Senses Sympathy itself at all!

Wh-why...
I injected you with a BC inhibitor. Your abilities won't work on me now.
No way...!

Without BC, Yuuri was nothing but an ordinary, powerless girl.

He applied pressure to her carotid artery.

Ugh...

Yuuri tried to shake him off, but the man was too strong for her to even budge an inch. Suddenly, her sight blacked out.

(H... Hikorin... Mashiron...!)

As Yuuri's consciousness faded away, she prayed. That the others would safely escape from here without encountering this man--