Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

KILL ONE, SAVE A THOUSAND: 09/16/2030, 16:41

♪ BGM: Ominous Ambience ♫

Huh, wh-what!?
What!?

The metal-cutting sound kept echoing beyond the iron door... but eventually, it abruptly stopped.

(What... was that!?)

Natsuhiko looked at the iron door with a bad feeling in his gut. It was supposedly sturdy enough to withstand fires and explosions. And yet-- there was no lock!

Yuuri, Mr. Ukita! Is there no way to make sure that door can't open!?
N-no!
Why would an emergency shelter even have a lock on the inside!?
Then let's pin down that door with some--!

But before Natsuhiko could finish, the door opened with a heavy thud.

♪ BGM: Approaching Death

...So there really was a hidden room here, huh?

And the one who stood in the doorway was none other than Jun. She looked around the shelter and spoke up as soon as she spotted Ukita.

Mr. Ukita. You slip outta my sight for a second, and then I find you in a place like-- wait...! Natsuhiko? Yuuri? And even Mashiro too!? Why are you all here...?
W-well, that's...

When Jun focused her eyes on him, Natsuhiko found himself at a loss for words. Jun's eyes picked up on Natsuhiko's and Mashiro's wounds-- and then she gritted her teeth.

...Mr. Ukita, you bastard...

You weren't satisfied just attacking me, so you laid your hands on the kids too!?
!

Ukita's body froze up with a twitch. Natsuhiko panicked and put himself between them.

H-hold on a second, Jun!
Why are you stopping me!? This old fart whacked me on the head, you know!? And look at you kids! You're all covered in wounds! He's the one who shot you, isn't he!?
No, you're wrong. Mr. Ukita's not at fault!
S-so um... please, stop...

Jun stared at Natsuhiko and Yuuri in confusion.

Why are you two stopping me...? You're acting strange, guys... Why would you cover for a criminal...
Look, you've got it all wrong! Mr. Ukita was, well, being manipulated!
Like I'd buy such a bullshit--

Jun suddenly stopped speaking. A look of realization then crossed her face.

Oh... now I get it... You kids are in cahoots with the old man, aren't you?
Wh-what brings you to that conclusion!?
That's it, isn't it? Yuuri disappeared in the middle of things, and you and Mashiro were nowhere to be found no matter how much we searched and searched. You kids teamed up with Mr. Ukita and tried to kill everyone. When you take the remaining stock of AD into consideration, there's no way for all nine of us trapped here to survive. So you guys plotted to kill three of us off to save yourselves. It all fits when you think of it that way, doesn't it?

There was nothing strange about Jun's tone of voice. She sounded completely rational. But the actual content of her words was completely devoid of reason.

J-Jun...!
(I never expected the Jun I knew would become like this...!)

He shuddered in renewed fear of Subject N's power. Jun's maddened eyes glared at the kids as she spoke.

You guys were the ones who killed Dojima and Hiyama and stole all the AD too, weren't you!? Why in the world would you do such a thing? Why? They were genuine rescue workers who lived for the sake of saving people's lives... So why'd you have to go and kill them!?

Jun readied the engine cutter.

Jun froze and let out a snort of disbelief.

Hmm~? What's with the tough guy act, huh? Could that thing be filled with the bullets you snatched from me?
No, it's a different gun. One that actually has a magazine this time. Lay a hand on those kids and I'll shoot.
I see how it is... Well, there's a whole lotta things I'd like to say, but... Go ahead. Make my day.
I'm seriously going to shoot...!
You don't have the guts to do it. Your actions lack the confidence.
What...?
If you were going to kill me, then you shoulda just gone and done it when you snatched the bullets.
Wh-what are you saying!? You think I could've done that!?
It's because you lacked true conviction that you left me alive, wasn't it? Guess in the end, you're just a weak, half-assed man who can't even commit to good or evil.
Sh... shut up!

Right as Ukita screamed those words-- A gunshot rang out.