Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction: 03/30/2021, 11:38

In yet another typical day, Jun yelled those words at her father and ran out of her house.

But her father had never once chased her that far, and this day was no exception.

(Why couldn't Daddy be a hero of justice instead...?)

She pondered that question as she sat on one of the benches. Jun had always loved anything ''hero-related'' she'd seen on TV for as long as she could remember. She admired heroes who risked their lives to save others and the Earth. But there was a world of difference between those kinds of heroes and Jun's father. He was a prominent city council member who was even well-known in Rokumei City-- but in a bad way. ''Heroes of justice? How ridiculous. There is no absolute justice or evil in this world. People are not pure good or pure evil either. There are only those who lie in the continuous spectrum of gray between the two.'' Jun grew sad when she remembered the words her father had said earlier. He was a strict man who never took his daughter into consideration. Jun's mother had fertility issues, so she had faced a lot of hardship until she had become pregnant with Jun. But when Jun was finally born, her father lost interest in both his wife and child on the simple account that a daughter could never be his successor.

(... I've been trying real hard to act like a boy, but I guess it was all for nothing...)

Jun had come to think of herself as worthless due to the all those long years spent unloved by her father. She felt like she was about to burst into tears from all the loneliness... but then someone called out to her.

♪ BGM: Loyalist / Theme of Tachibana

Oh... Nagisa.

Jun looked up to find that the voice belonged to none other than ''Nagisa'', a girl who lived nearby. Jun gave her a cheery smile.

Nuh-uh, I'm A-OK.
I see. Thank goodness.
Anyway, what's up with you, Nagisa? You sure it's okay to be going to the park all alone?
I'm not alone. Sis came with me, but she fell asleep.

Nagisa pointed to a young woman sleeping on the lawn-- Nagisa's older sister, ''Kazami''.

Oh brother... Then do you wanna play with me?
Yeah!

Nagisa's face brightened at Jun's suggestion. --Though Jun and Nagisa were five years apart in age, they got along great. They'd been best friends ever since they'd met at a neighborhood association meeting. Jun was a self-assertive tomboy, yet she acted like a kind older sister to Nagisa. Nagisa's body was a bit weak, so she apparently couldn't play all that much with other kids her age. That's why Jun made it her mission to play with her as much as possible whenever they crossed paths. And hanging out with Nagisa was also a way of healing Jun's heart.

(Why did Daddy say I shouldn't be playing with such a good girl...?)

''That kid in the park'' referred to Nagisa.

(This is Daddy we're talking here, so he's probably just being prejudiced or whatever it's called...)

And it wasn't long before she noticed Kazami frantically running over to them.

Oh, Kazami. Nah, it's cool, I was having fun too.
You were sleeping like a log, Sis, so I didn't wanna wake you up...
I can't believe I dozed off like that... It must be because it's so nice and warm today...

Jun and Nagisa laughed at Kazami's embarrassed reaction.

...Oh my, it looks like it's already past noon now. Why don't we go home and I'll fix you up some lunch?
Yeah! I'm starving!
Would you like some too as thanks, Jun? It won't be anything more than spaghetti, but still.
For real!? Yay! Your spaghetti is the best, Kazami!
Oh, why thank you. Then shall we get going?

Kazami took Jun and Nagisa hand in hand and headed off towards the Tachibana residence.

They had both died from illness at a young age, so Kazami worked at a flower shop to support Nagisa. Kazami was a very kind and beautiful sister who always smelled of flowers. As a result, Nagisa never grew up feeling worthless like Jun did. Jun loved the two sisters dearly.

Um, what do you think sounds good, Nagisa?
I wanna have that egg kind we ate that one day!
You mean carbonara, huh? Okay, I'll make it extra tasty just for you.

Kazami smiled at Nagisa. Jun felt a warm feeling spread through her chest at that sight. --The sisters always looked so happy even though they didn't have parents. Every part of their home was filled with the warmth and smiles a family should have.

(Man... they look so happy.)

Jun gripped Kazami's hand tightly as she thought this.