Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Life: 04/08/2021, 14:45

Jun was taken to the hospital, where she was treated for her burns. ''The burn on your back will likely leave a scar.'' It had been depressing to hear that from her doctor, but there were more important matters on Jun's mind.

♪ BGM: Ominous Ambience ♫

That rescue worker said she was okay, but the wounds on her head were apparently more serious than what had been thought. Nagisa had been in the ICU for an entire day after the accident, and she was still there. It appeared that Kazami, who had come over as fast as she could, was praying for Nagisa's safety in front of the ICU the whole time. Jun also prayed from her hospital bed.

(... Oh God, please don't take Nagisa away...)

But that night-- As Jun struggled to fall asleep, Kazami suddenly came in.

Jun...

Kazami staggered into the sickroom. Something was off about her.

...Hey, how's Nagisa...? She's okay, right?

Kazami's face warped with grief at that question.

Jun... the truth is, Nagisa's... Nagisa's...
Huh...!?

With a trembling voice, she then told Jun about her sister's death...

♪ BGM: Memento Mori

The world was informed that four lives had perished in the Rokumei Municipal Apartment Gas Explosion Accident on that day. Nagisa's death was one of those tragedies. The debris that hit her head caused her to lose so much blood that she passed away in her sleep. Perhaps it was only a minor tragedy compared to the Great Rokumei City Arson of 2014. But Jun had lost something irreplaceable on that day. --Nagisa's funeral was held two days later. Though she was still recovering from her wounds, Jun forced herself to come.

The sound of the sutras chanted by the Buddhist priest reverberated through the small funeral home.

Buddhist Priest: --not created, not annihilated, not impure, not pure, not increasing, not decreasing. Therefore, in the void there are no forms and no feelings, conceptions, impulses and no consciousness: there is no eye, ear, nose, tongue, body or mind; there is no form, sound, smell, taste, touch or idea--...

Tips posted:

TIP: Heart Sutra
Category: Nonfiction

The name varies by sect, but in Japan, it is also called the Bussetsu Maka Hannya Haramitashin-gyo Sutra, the Maka Hannya Haramitashin-gyo Sutra, and the Hannya Haramitashin-gyo Sutra.

Hannya is the kanji notation for the Sanskrit prajna. It has little to do with the female demon Hannya mask used in Noh theater. Prajna means wisdom, namely the perception of the truth of reality and the enlightenment necessary to rid oneself of worldly desires and attachment. The ''heart'' in heart sutra is a translation of the Sanskrit hrdaya, which can also mean the core or most important part of something. It is a short sutra of less than 300 characters, but as it condenses the over 600-verse Great Perfection of Wisdom Sutra, the Heart Sutra is widely used in the Tendai, Shingon, and Jodo sects of Buddhism. With the use of voice data technology today, anyone can easily participate in this pious act. Binaural recordings of the sutra in particular seem to be gaining prominence.

Jun just stood there in a daze as she listened to his voice.

(... The tears... just won't come...)

She still couldn't believe that Nagisa had died.

(If I'd been stronger... then could I have prevented her from dying...? Could I have saved her before the rescue workers got there...?)

Feelings of powerlessness and resentment tormented Jun's heart. Kazami was staring at Nagisa's casket with empty eyes. All emotion had been drained from her face.

Nagisa...

Nagisa didn't reply to her faint call. Jun felt her heart wrench as she watched Kazami. --It appeared Kazami had much more trouble than Jun accepting that her beloved sister was now dead. For a little while after that, Kazami-- --became mentally unstable.

She had encountered Kazami on her way home from school. Kazami was walking around with the same empty eyes as during the funeral.

Ah... where are you going, Kazami?
Oh, Jun... have you seen Nagisa?
--Huh?
She's really late. Geez, where could she have gone?
--...!

Jun gasped as she saw Kazami talking as though Nagisa were still alive.

K-Kazami... Nagisa's already...
Call me if you see her. It's almost time for dinner, you see.

Kazami walked off without hearing a word Jun had said. The same thing happened over and over again each time Jun saw Kazami.

It was like she hadn't accepted Nagisa's death at all.

But day after cruel day passed by as Jun remained at a loss for how she could help Kazami.

Jun kept the pain in her heart at bay as she headed to the park.

(Nagisa, tell me... What should I do...?)

Jun looked to the heavens and asked, hoping her voice would reach Nagisa.

When she spotted Jun, she walked over to her on unstable feet.

Oh, Jun... have you seen Nagisa? She's really late. Geez, where could she have gone?

Kazami was saying the exact same things she had the other day.

K-Kazami...!

Jun knew Kazami's heart was in pieces. Her time had stopped the moment her sister had died.

I have to hurry... and find her...

Kazami tried to walk off somewhere again with those words. But Jun-- --called out to her.

That's enough! That's enough, Kazami!
Huh...?
You'll never find her no matter how much you look....! 'Cause no matter where you look, Nagisa's already gone!

Kazami's face froze over at that moment.

Wha... what are you talking about...?
Nagisa's dead! She got hit in the head in that explosion back then!
You're lying... She must be somewhere--
I'm telling the truth! You were at her funeral too, weren't you!? We said goodbye to Nagisa together, remember!?

Tears poured out of Jun's eyes in droves when she shouted that.

...You have to understand that, Kazami...! If you don't, then Nagisa can't go to Heaven in peace...!

It was with those words that Jun was also finally able to accept it. --Nagisa was dead. She would never see that tender-hearted girl ever again. She and Kazami were left behind in the world Nagisa was no longer a part of. Jun couldn't stop her tears from pouring out now that she realized that. And when she saw Jun's tears--

I see... So she's... dead, huh...?

Kazami also finally accepted reality.

...Now I'm all alone...
...No you're not. I know Nagisa's watching over you from Heaven.
No, I'm alone... She was my only sister. The two of us had lived together just by ourselves for ages. Without Nagisa, I'm...

Jun's words weren't reaching her. Jun desperately thought about how to move Kazami's heart. About how she could support her. She soon reached an answer-- and when she did, she finally stopped crying.

--Kazami.

Jun told Kazami her decision.

I won't leave you alone. 'Cause I'll be your little sister-- since Nagisa no longer can.
Huh...?
I know I'm nothing like her and that I'm not cute at all... but I'll be your little sister, Sis. So... So that's why....
Jun... you...

Jun knew she could never in a million years replace Nagisa. But when Kazami heard her declaration-- She gently embraced Jun and spoke.

...Thank you.

--Jun became Kazami's new sister from that day on. She would stop by Kazami's house frequently after Nagisa's death. Occasionally, she'd stay over, and they'd spend the whole night talking to each other. In the end, it looked like her actions were worth it. Kazami slowly began returning to the calm person she'd been before the incident.

♪ BGM: Anxious Times of Rokumei City

Nagisa's death had most likely driven her to desire a job that involved saving lives. Jun was against it, but Kazami just wouldn't change her mind. Jun soon caved in and went from opposing her to supporting her. Kazami then became a firefighter, and after putting in even more work, she became a rescue worker.

Jun deeply respected Kazami for completely getting back on her feet and becoming the first female rescue worker in Rokumei City Fire Department history.

(Sis sure is strong... I have to get stronger too.)

With Jun supporting Kazami and Kazami serving as a role model to Jun, the two of them grew to have a mutual effect on each other. Then one day several years later...

Jun, what do you plan to do once you've graduated high school?
Hmm, funny you ask that. See... I was thinking I'd also enroll in firefighting school and work to become a member of Sirius, just like you, Sis.
What...!?

Just as Jun had feared, a grim look adorned Kazami's face after she'd heard Jun's nervous answer.

No, it's too dangerous for you! You could die out there! The pay is low, the job is hard, and it feels like you're diving straight into Hell every time you go to work--
I-I know all that. But you enrolled in firefighter school even after I kept telling you not to, remember?
That was years ago. These are completely different issues.
No they're not! They're the same!
Jun, why...? If I ever lost you too, I'd be...!

Jun knew Kazami was truly worried about her. But there was no chance she could yield to her. Jun always felt like her heart was being crushed every time she heard a siren go off in the city or saw Kazami come home from work hurt.

Sis, I feel the same way as you. I don't want you to leave me all by myself either.
Jun...
And besides, I've admired rescue workers for ages now. ...'Cause it was a rescue worker who saved me.
I see... if that's how you really feel, then I have nothing else to say.

Though she said that, Kazami was clearly a little angry. Jun then tried buttering her up.

Hey, Sis?
What?
If I do this, then I can save you whenever you're in a tight spot.
Thank you. Then I'll be sure to save you whenever you're in danger.
Yeah!

As long as she held on to those words, Jun felt like she could do anything.