Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

So I'm a big fan of dropping laser-guided bombs on things. Our Phantoms are pretty good at this, but we could do better. How much better? I decided to do some research. Let's take a look at what I found.
I'm going to ignore any aircraft that are hypotheticals or are some kind of strategic bomber or similar that we're very unlikely to get, at least for a long time, because that's basically just noise.

The GBU-24 is a 2,000lb laser-guided bomb that is an upgrade of the GBU-10. The 24 has a longer range (8nm vs 4) and can be launched at a much lower altitude if for some reason you wanted to do that instead of not daring every rear end in a top hat with an Igla to frag your expensive jet. They're otherwise fairly similar as far as I can tell. If you want more than the 2 of these our Phantoms can haul, your choices are:
  • F-15E (5x GBU-10 / 4x GBU-24): hell if I know how that 5th -10 gets mounted that the -24 can't be there.
  • A-10C (4x GBU-10)
  • A-6E (4x GBU-24)
  • F/A-18E / F/A-18F (4x GBU-24)
  • F-111C (4x GBU-10): almost all F-111s in reality have been destroyed post-decommissioning, which would make acquiring one somewhat difficult, but maybe this LP's world is different?
  • F-111F (4x GBU-24): see previous
  • F-15SA (4x GBU-24)
  • A whole bunch of F-16 variants, including some Greek ones (4x GBU-24)
Of these, if they're actually available, I'd vote the F-111Fs. They're probably only moderately priced and they're also brutalist as hell which appeals to me immensely. A-6s are probably also cheap but they're slow and vulnerable. Warthogs dropping GBU-10s is an amusing comedy option for everybody who wants to see them do gun runs but they're even slower than the A-6s. F-15s and Superhornets are pretty generically 'good' but also crazy expensive.

Can we do better?
The GBU-28 is a 5,000lb bunker-buster. Meaning it's utter overkill against anything we've seen so far. But that's what we're here for, right?
  • F-111F (x2)
  • F-15E / F-15I / F-15K (x1)
Once again, Aardvark supremacy, but not exactly many choices otherwise.

Sadly going smaller doesn't help much. The GBU-12, a 500lb bomb, can only be mounted at most at x8 (F-15E / F-15K / F-15S / F-15SA) or x6 (Rafale, making a surprise appearance). Even the SDB, which has "small" in its name (and ok technically isn't laser-guided, so sue me) is only ever mounted with 8 at most, which we already have on the Gripens.

Ok, what if we leave the GBU family?

The AGM-176 Griffin is a modular design that can fit around a couple warheads, including the Mk 84 (2,000lb) and Mk 82 (500lb) seen with the above Paveway kits. I'm going to start ignoring the F-15s and F-16s here because there's so many of the drat things and there's no new capabilities here, so here's some curiosities:
  • Indian MiG-27M (4x 1000lb warhead)
  • Colombian Super Tucano (2x 500lb warhead)
  • Romanian MiG-21 (2x 500lb warhead)
All of these are probably pretty cheap. Also, terrible, but still less likely to get swatted down than the SK-60s*. Haven't you always wanted to own a Romanian Fishbed? No? Me neither. But it'll kill tanks just fine!
*Maybe not the case for the Super Tucanos.

The KAB-1500L is Russia's response to the GBU-24, roughly. It's a ~3,000lb laser-guided weapon. If I'm reading this right (50/50 chance) there's also a bunker-buster variant.
  • Su-24M (x3)
  • Su-25T, also a bunch of other variants (x2): hey we already own these
  • A bunch of Su-30 variants with way too many damned letters (x2)
  • Su-34 (x2)
  • Su-35S / Su-35K (x2)

I hope you will keep these notes on "how to best make enemy tank columns disappear without invoking warcrimes" in mind when the next procurement round comes.