Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

MOVING TIME: 09/16/2030, 16:55

----
--

♪ BGM: LABO Security Lv. 2

This time, he didn't have the usual headache and his brain didn't feel like it was swaying. Most likely because Ena was not corrupted by malice. Since he merely connected their minds using Senses Sympathy, his brain and mind didn't appear to be as burdened as when he had to confront Subject N. Eventually, Ena looked at Natsuhiko and spoke quietly.

Mmm... is it over?
Y-yes.
Any malice?
None. You were given AD quickly after you found Subject N in front of the cargo lift, so you avoided it...
I see. That's good.

After saying that, Ena gave a somewhat embarrassed smile.

So you know my true identity now, then.
...Yes.
Shocking, isn't it? I'm sorry for deceiving you all this time.

''How many times have I heard that today?'' Natsuhiko wondered as he responded.

Um, are you okay with me knowing?
It was the only way to prove my innocence. But please keep it a secret, okay? You too, Ms. Yuuri.
Okay...

Ena fell silent after that. A tinge of sadness filled her face.

She ended up remembering many painful memories as well. For every memory that Natsuhiko peeked into, Ena remembered it as well. That was a fundamental rule of Senses Sympathy.

Don't be silly. No need to worry about me. It's all part of my job.

And with that declaration, Ena's facial expression returned to normal.

More importantly, everyone listen up. Ms. Sannomiya's attacking Captain Kasasagi right now.
Huh!?

♪ BGM: Looming Crisis

H-hold on a second. Why would Louise attack-- Oh, I know! Louise must've gone crazy 'cause of that BC, right!?
--Probably.

There was no proof of that, but Natsuhiko just nodded for now. He had no time to explain Watase's true identity.

Mr. Tenkawa, can't you send telepathy to Ms. Sannomiya?
I tried, but I can't get through! And I don't think Salyu will lend an ear to what Watase has to say, either...
Then what if Natsuhiko goes to Louise and directly explains the situation to her?
No, wait! He's heavily injured, you know? We can't have him do something so dangerous, can we?
Then... then I'll go!
Huh!? Wh-what will you do if you go!?
Save the captain, of course!

And with that, Jun flew out of the room before anyone could stop her.

Geez... she's so impatient...!

Ena spoke with a sigh as she gripped her gun.

I'll go too. That girl's not going to have any strength on her own.
Th-then I'll go too--
No. It's too dangerous, so just stay here.
Will you be okay, Professor...?
Don't worry about me. I might not look like it, but I'm a super civil servant who safeguards society from the shadows.

And with that grandiose declaration, Ena left the shelter. --Leaving only Natsuhiko, Yuuri, Ukita, and the unconscious Mashiro behind.

(Will those two be okay...? Salyu still somewhat sees Prof. Tsubakiyama as hostile. I don't know how she feels about Jun, though-- She might think Jun's in cahoots with Watase since she's also a rescue worker.)

But nevertheless, if Watase, Ena, and Jun all worked together, they could probably succeed in apprehending Salyu. Though someone might get hurt in the process.

(Dammit... for now, let's check on Watase's situation!)

Natsuhiko tried using Senses Sympathy on Watase.

♪ BGM: Psychological Warfare

Haah, haah...!

He could hear Watase's rough breathing and the sound of dragging feet. Watase appeared to be desperately running through a connecting passageway somewhere.

(Did he injure his foot!?) {What's wrong, Watase!? Are you okay!?}
N-Natsuhiko!?

Watase seemed surprised to have heard the ''auditory hallucination'' again after so long.

Don't surprise me like that. Was that telepathy?
{Well, yeah. But you don't need to speak out loud. We can hold a conversation if you just think the words in your head.}
I see. That's a big help.
{So, what's the current situation!?}

{Kinda driven into a corner here...! Salyu attacked me, and I'm in the middle of running away.}
{Where are you!?}
{I'm on B2-- at the connecting passageway between Area 3 and 2's outer rings. Salyu twisted my ankle in Area 3, so my foot's all messed up now. So I barely managed to escape here--}

It was at that moment that a sound echoed behind him.

!?

{Dammit she caught me... Natsuhiko, send her some telepathy! It should be easy for you, right?}
{I don't think it'll work, but--!}

{Salyu, it's me! Can you hear me!? Watase's on our side. There's no need to fight!}

Natsuhiko repeatedly sent that message. And then once he reinstated sympathy with Watase's senses--

She showed no reaction. The telepathy clearly didn't get through.

{No good! She's not reacting! Looks like she's taken AD!}
{Well that sucks... Looks like I've got no choice but to use brute force.}

Watase took a defensive stance. The pain in his ankle propagated to Natsuhiko.

{I probably can't do this without hurting her... I'm sorry, but please overlook that.}

{H-hold on, Watase! Can't you lure Salyu here!?}
{I've been trying to do that for a while now, but it's been a lot harder than I thought it'd be...}

Watase addressed Salyu.

Hey, Salyu, I just got some telepathy from Natsuhiko!
!?
Forget about me and head to Area 5! He's waiting for you over there!
Hmph... I don't believe a word you say.

It appeared Salyu didn't believe him in the slightest. She was unable to imagine other people's feelings. Therefore, it was probably safer for her to doubt everything and trust nobody.

{Watase, get out of there! Go around towards Area 2, pass through Area N, and return to the shelter!}
{You sure? Isn't Salyu your--}
{Forget it, just prioritize getting out of there for now! We're sending Jun and Prof. Tsubakiyama your way right now!}

Natsuhiko ended Senses Sympathy after giving that answer.

Hikorin! You look kind of pained right now... Did you use Senses Sympathy!?
Yeah... and now I know that Watase's in real big trouble right now.

For now, Natsuhiko sent telepathy to Ena and Jun.

{Professor, Jun, can you hear me!? Watase's currently heading towards Area 2! His foot's injured! Please go help him!}

And then he used empathy to receive Ena's reply.

She was no longer closing her heart. Once he confirmed she had received the message, he pondered some more.

(Watase's already beat up senselessly too...! It's not unexpected, though, considering how he's been running around for nearly 8 hours to save everyone. In that case... in that case... I'll try too...!)

Natsuhiko made up his mind and spoke to Yuuri.

...Yuuri... I'm going to Salyu.
Huh? But Captain Kasasagi said to stay here...
But Ms. Tachibana's the only dangerous character lurking around now... And besides, if things don't change quickly, Watase will be in even worse trouble. I can't just wait and see. He's worked himself to the bone, so I will too...!

Yuuri fell silent at those words for a second-- but then she readied herself and spoke.

I-in that case... I'll go too.
You too?
It'll be hard for you to walk around by yourself, and... If you happen to come across Lieutenant Tachibana, you might have to repair her memory on the spot, right?

Natsuhiko was worried about taking Yuuri with him, but she was indeed right.

...Okay. Let's go together. Mr. Ukita, please stay here and watch over Mashiro.
V-very well, but in that case--

If you're going, then take this pistol with you. You might run across Ms. Tachibana along the way. There are only two bullets left, but I suspect it'll still function as a threat.

Ukita spoke in a stiff voice. They still didn't quite know what Kazami's intentions were. So it was probably better to be safe than sorry.

...Understood.

Natsuhiko took the pistol and slung it on his belt.

Okay, then Yuuri... I'm sorry, but can you lend me a shoulder?
O-okay.

Natsuhiko borrowed Yuuri's shoulder and tottered out of the shelter.