Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

CHOICE: 09/16/2030, 17:55

♪ BGM: Psychological Warfare

Why disarming it was impossible, and why the lockdown end time had lagged. And how at this rate, everyone would die in the explosion--!

That's what I'd like us to think about. Is there anything we can do to survive...? Please, everybody, lend us your wisdom!

Everyone's faces froze at that statement. --Only about 20 minutes remained until detonation. The nine survivors wracked their brains to come up with a way to survive together.

All nine of us can move...
But we pretty much have nothing left that can bring about any major change to the current situation.

Watase picked up the gun Kazami had dropped earlier.

Even though we can kill each other with this thing... it has no survival usage whatsoever.

Watase put away the gun in his pocket as he said that.

The only other usable things we have are the engine cutter... and at best, the air jack, right?
I don't think either of those things will be of use now, though...
B-but we can't give up! If we can't do something about the bomb, then let's all look for a way to escape!
I don't think it'll be easy... Can we really find something in just 20 minutes that we couldn't after six hours...?
Then could we hack into Brain Cell again and open the bulkheads!?
When we stole root authority, it activated something called a 'reactive barrier' which took out Alice Number 2. The hacking software my mother prepared for us isn't usable anymore, is it?
But can we try just to make sure...?
...Worth a shot, I guess.

And so the survivors moved to the control room for the time being.

But of course, Brain Cell showed no reaction whatsoever.

So it really was a one-time chance...!

Once Natsuhiko said that, Salyu murmured softly.

Alice... There's still Alice Number 1.
Huh?
Dr. Tenkawa installed various software onto Alice. Even software whose purposes remain unknown to me. It might include the hacking software...

Without waiting for the others' response, Salyu connected Alice Number 1 to Brain Cell. And then the three control terminals--

Ah...!

--each displayed the authentication screens.

L-looks like it'll work!
But are you sure, Salyu!? If you use her to hack, then she'll break too, you know!?
...Of course it's painful for me. Because Alice is a part of me... But it'd be even more painful if everyone died. If we get out of here, we can always repair Alice. As long as we live, she can be fixed eventually.
Yeah... you're right.

Everyone looked glad at those words, but then--

No, wait a second! Even if we steal root authority and open up the bulkheads, Brain Cell will automatically declare another Case N after 30 seconds!
Huh!?
Everyone, look at that!

Ukita pointed at the indicator on the monitor labeled ''Area N Energy Level''. The value read ''1539 mSv''...

A Case N is declared under the conditions of 'Area N's WX particle energy levels exceeding 1 mSv'... And 'a test subject leaving either Area N or Area 5'. We can't get everyone out of here without violating those conditions...!

Ukita's bitter voice shocked the others.

So you mean it's like this...!? Even if we open the bulkheads, they'll close again after 30 seconds?
And opening the bulkheads in the first place requires three people--... So for six people to escape... three have to stay down here, huh.

Everyone gasped at those words. That was the answer thrust before them. ''Three people must remain in the control room to steal root authority from Brain Cell and force the bulkheads open.''

(At the very least, that means six people can escape before the explosion...! But that also means... that the other three need to die!)

The question once thrust upon Watase was now thrust upon the others.

''Only six of the nine could survive.'' ''9-3=6''-- that equation bound them once again.

(Then which three do we choose...!? Which six get to survive!?)

The nine people in the room established emotional bonds through all their shared experiences. Even if their principles and perspectives differed, not a single one of them genuinely wished for any of the others to die. It was just too sad to decide who had to stay.

(Even if Watase or I sacrifice ourselves... that won't solve everything.)

Just like how Natsuhiko tried to break Mashiro out of there through the cargo lift, and how Watase went off to extinguish the fires in Area N, they didn't even have the option to ''save everyone in exchange for their own lives''.

(... But still... We still have to make a decision...!)

They were all probably thinking the same thing. A hopeless silence engulfed the room. --Eventually, a girl whispered an answer in Natsuhiko's ear.

Th... the answer's obvious, isn't it?
Huh?
The answer is 'we leave nobody behind'. We bring everybody to the bulkheads...

Yuuri looked at everyone as she said that.

Right? Isn't that right, guys!? The bomb's set in Area Zero, isn't it? It's in such a deep place. So the shockwave might not reach all the way to the bulkheads, right? Let's all pray for that and wait for the bulkheads to open by themselves!
Y-you're right...! That's a good idea, Yuuri! How can I survive if it means sacrificing someone else...?
Right!?

Mashiro approved of Yuuri's opinion. Even in this dire situation, the two girls never forgot kindness.

(But that kindness... won't help right now.)

Watase spoke Natsuhiko's thoughts for him.

...You two really are kind... But we can't do that.
Huh!?
If anyone's going to wait in front of the bulkheads, it'd be better for it to be the three left behind after the other six escape, right?
B-but! Who's going to be left behind--
That's what we need to decide. At the very least, I'm staying.

Kazami and Jun's eyes widened at those words.

Captain, you can't be serious!
Oh come on, it's should be an obvious choice, right? After all, I'm the one who set the bomb up in the first place.
There you go showing off again...! Only a fool throws away their own life to save others! Isn't that right!?
Exactly. And I'm an utter fool for resorting to terrorism. So I want to be the one to clean up after my own mess.
So we only need two others. Two people to stay underground with me...
Two others...!?

Jun murmured that, and then fell silent. Then after a brief pause-- she spoke up resolutely.

...Just two more, huh. Okay, I got it...!

Jun looked at Kazami with clouded eyes.

Let's stay behind, Sis. Us three members of Sirius will stay...!
Wh... what!?
W-wait, Jun!? I'm fine with staying, but why you too!?
Because if you and the captain stay behind, that's still not enough people. It's our job to save lives. And if doing so requires sacrifices no matter what... then we have no choice, do we?
Th-that might be true, but still...!

Kazami reluctantly accepted that viewpoint.

(That's our first option...!)

Option: The rescue squad (Watase, Kazami, Jun) would stay.

But then Ukita cut in.

W... wait! If someone has to stay, then it shall be me!
You, Mr. Ukita!?
Captain Kasasagi and I are the ones at fault. If Captain Kasasagi's going to stay, then it only makes sense for me to stay as well!
Y-you can't, Mr. Ukita! I can't accept that! Regardless of the circumstances, you're still a 'survivor' under our custody!
No, the old man's right! Me, the old man, and one other person will stay behind!

--''Watase, Ukita, and one other person''. As soon as Natsuhiko heard those words, he spoke without thinking.

Th... then I should stay too!
Huh!?

Yuuri and the others gasped at Natsuhiko's suggestion.

Wh-why you, Natsuhiko!?
...If the ones at fault are staying, then I'll stay. I'm responsible for this too. The end of the lockdown got delayed because of my BC...!

And thus, out of his own volition, Natsuhiko came up with the second option.

Option: The ones at fault (Natsuhiko, Watase, Ukita) would stay.

(Of course, I don't want to choose that option myself... and Yuuri and the others don't seem to agree with it either, but...)

Just as Natsuhiko had predicted, Mashiro and the others spoke up in opposition.

Natsuhiko, what are you talking about!? That's no reason for you to stay behind!
I agree... If that's enough to make you 'at fault' here, then every single one of us is at fault.
Th-that's right, Hikorin... there's no need for you to stay behind.
But... in that case, who should stay, then...?

The question silenced Yuuri for a moment-- but eventually, she answered resolutely.

...You're right... If Captain Kasasagi, Mr. Ukita, and one more person have to stay... Th-then... I guess I have to...
N-no, Yuuri! That doesn't make sense either!
I-I know it doesn't! But then what are we supposed to do otherwise, Mashiron!? Even if Captain Kasasagi and Mr. Ukita stay behind, one other person has to do so as well, right!?
No... please don't say that, Yuuri! Why do you always have to be the one to suffer!? Are you telling me to live with guilt again!? How long will this have to continue!? If you say you're going to stay, Yuuri, then it's better that I stay instead!
...!
N-no fighting. I thought you were best friends.
But Salyu! I can't just let Yuuri die--
Then are you saying you'll stay instead, Mashiro? I don't want you to die either. Will you stay regardless?
Aah...!
But then again, I can't say 'I'll stay behind instead of you two' either. ...I don't want to die. I met everyone and found life fun for the very first time. I felt that at last, my real life had only just begun... So I... I want to live more.
S-Salyu...!

Everyone grew silent as Salyu squeezed out her honest feelings from the bottom of her heart.

...I'm sorry. I can't be strong like you guys.
Th-that's normal... There's nothing for you to apologize about.

Ena cut into the conversation.

She's right, Ms. Sannomiya. It's wrong for children to die for the mistakes of adults. ...That said, to be honest... I don't want to die either.
Huh...?
'I can't just die here in a place like this'-- That thought was what helped me survive up to this point. I don't think 'I've had enough'. Nor do I think 'I want to die for others'. It's human nature not to think those things. It's animal instinct...!

As Ena said that, her noble facial features warped tearfully.

But... but you know... I'm a teacher, aren't I? If the alternative is to sacrifice my own students... Then I'd rather stay behind myself...!

Natsuhiko was shocked to hear those unexpected words.

P-Prof. Tsubakiyama!?
What are you saying, Ena!? That makes you the same as Yuuri and the others!
No I'm not, I just-- I just think that adults who'd sacrifice children for their own survival are no adults at all.
Huh...?
It's adults like that who made this messed up world. So I just want you kids to know that there are proper adults out there. There are adults out there who will risk their own lives to save children they do not know. Even if it's not to atone. Even if it's not their duty. If I set that sort of example for you kids, then you won't end up cursing this society, will you? I'm sure the next generation-- will bring about a more proper society.

Those words were most likely a thought that Ena had shut away in the innermost depths of her heart, oozing out just now. She seriously wanted to live. But on the other hand, she wanted to save the children. She was tied up by her own self-preservation instincts and the logic to save others.

...I just don't know anymore... What do we do...?

Once he heard Salyu say that, Natsuhiko pondered.

(I don't want to let anyone else die, but... Yuuri and the others probably won't accept me staying behind. Dammit! Is there... is there no other option...!?)

The moment that though crossed his mind-- Kazami suddenly spoke up.

Wait... I've realized there's just one more option.
Huh?
I awoke to Senses Sympathy earlier. That means three of us out of the nine here are Senses Sympathy users. And even if the Senses Sympathy users escaped, we'd be targeted for confinement, wouldn't we?
Wh... what are you trying to say, Ms. Tachibana?
So in that case, Tenkawa, Ms. Yuuri... If we're just going to be confined anyway, why don't we be the ones to stay behind?
Wha...!?

Natsuhiko was driven speechless. For the time being, they had their third option.

Option: The Senses Sympathy users (Natsuhiko, Yuuri, Kazami) would stay.

However--

Are... are you being serious, Ms. Tachibana...!?
D-did you hear anything I just said!? You're free to stay behind and sacrifice yourself if you want, but I'm telling you to leave the children out of it!

Kazami didn't answer. Natsuhiko couldn't understand why she would ever say such a thing.

Whoa, Kazami! Don't say that! It's a done deal that I'm staying behind! Don't think of any option that precludes that!

Watase's word ended the discussion.

--Each option was as difficult to choose as the next.

VOTING

And thus we come to the really big decision. We have our way out - the three that stay behind are probably hosed based on what we've seen in other endings, and the six that leave are probably also hosed because they're going to run smack-dab into Security Sector 6, but I guess it's a shot we need to take. So with that, we have three options:

Option A: The Sirius team members - Watase, Kazami and Jun - stay behind. They're the rescue squad members, and it's their duty to make sure the civilians get out alive.
Option B: Those responsible for the incident being the way it is - Watase, Ukita and Natsuhiko - stay behind. If it weren't for their actions, this wouldn't have happened.
Option C: Those capable of using Senses Sympathy - Natsuhiko, Yuuri and Kazami - stay behind. If they were to get out, they'd be immediately targeted by LABO anyway.

Choose wisely.