Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Unlocking Scenes - Mashiro

Now, Mashiro has multiple scenes that we need to go through in order to unlock other scenes, and one even has two Senses inputs, so let's get to it. The one that isn't different is ''Memories: Magnetic Rose''.

Our first input is during ''When Cicada's Season Is Over'' (which I now realize I miswrote back when we got to this chapter in Route Before, calling it ''When Cicada Season Is Over''. Oh well.).

And here, the correct input is to set Mashiro's Sense of Yuuri high.

Yuuri had an ever-gentle smile on her face. Yuuri had told her she was cute, even when nobody else would treat her like a girl. Yuuri had praised her cooking whenever they played house. --Yuuri was the gentlest, cutest girl that Mashiro wanted to be... Mashiro's memories of Yuuri came and went in her mind.

(Hey, Yuuri... it was only about a year ago that we met, huh? I've admired you ever since that day. I thought that if we kept hanging out together, I'd grow up to be a lovely girl just like you... But... I never thought we'd have to say goodbye just a year later...!)

But even as sadness filled Mashiro's heart, just one other thing remained-- Her worry for Natsuhiko.

And from then on, the chapter goes as normal. The changes aren't exactly all that major, as I'm sure you've noticed.

This is the first choice in ''Sonata in B♭''. In general, high Senses are usually the way to go.

No matter how much Mashiro spoke, Natsuhiko would not respond. --But even so, she would come speak with him as she believed that was the only way to bring him back to reality.

Last year we had a test of courage, we freed Sirius, we investigated the Seven Wonders, and lotsa other stuff. Good times, huh? Actually, during that test of courage, I heard a ghost's voice, you know? I was too scared to talk about it back then, but it was evidence for one of the wonders. Cool, huh? I kinda wanted to go on a 'solution mission' this year too, but you know--

From then on, it's the same until the second choice.

Mashiro suddenly realized just how much her own voice was trembling. Her vision had blurred before she noticed.

...Natsuhiko...

Mashiro touched Natsuhiko's cheek. She could feel his body warmth through the palm of her hand. --He was warm. Blood was flowing through his veins. He was certainly there right in front of her, and yet they couldn't exchange words. Even though she could touch him, his mind was somewhere else, far away--

... Natsuhiko...

Mashiro touched his lips. She brushed up his hair. She brought her own lips close to his--... But stopped.

(... What am I doing...?)

This wasn't some fairy tale. There was no way that'd wake Natsuhiko up. He wouldn't wake up no matter what she did. Mashiro muttered without expecting any response.

...Hey, Natsuhiko. I'm so lonely... I want to play with you like we did back then.

More tears spilled as she uttered those words. Her sobs echoed through the quiet hospital room. --But then--

... ...Ugh...

She heard the voice she had been waiting to hear.

And then it proceeds as normal.

This then unlocks one of the new chapters.

I think you know the drill by now.

Mashiro did indeed suffer a deep wound after losing her close friend. She was honestly happy that she could still talk to the deceased Yuuri by using empathy on Natsuhiko. But naturally, that couldn't have been her only reason.

(Then what have all these nine years been for...?)

--She had a faint idea of the real reason. But she felt that accepting that reason would mean betraying Yuuri's memory--... And that was why Mashiro would not think about it. So she took care to only touch upon harmless and inoffensive topics when talking with Natsuhiko.

...Does it taste good, Natsuhiko?
Hmm? Yeah, it's good.
Oh, glad to hear it.

It was just a casual, simple conversation. But for Mashiro, it was good enough for now...

And that ends the chapter.

Like their nostalgic chat in the park illuminated by the glow of the setting sun. Even if that peace were only temporary, it was an irreplaceable treasure to her.

...Hey, Natsuhiko.
Hmm?
Do you remember that time... When you, Yuuri, and I used to run around this place?
Yeah, of course I do... That really brings me back.
...It was probably around that time... That I fell in love with you, Natsuhiko.

Natsuhiko's eyes widened at those words.

Huh...?
You were kind of a bully, but you were nice when the time called for it. You were kind of different from the other boys. We always got into fights with each other, but to be honest, I wanted to get along with you better. I didn't understand at the time 'cause I was just a little kid, but I think that was my first crush.
... That was your first crush...? So how about now?
I still love you. As a friend. But you've got Yuuri, don't you?
...Yeah.
So, well... that's that. You see, right now... I think I'm happier watching over you and Yuuri.

--She had no other way to confess her feelings. Natsuhiko cast down his eyes and smiled sadly.

I see...

When he murmured those words-- a gentle breeze blew, enveloping the two of them. Mashiro gazed at his face from the side and silently prayed. That one day, she'd be able to make this transient confession a reality...

And that ends the chapter. But after that...

Were the true events how Natsuhiko remembered them... Or what I just now saw of how Mashiro remembered them...? There's no longer any way to know for sure. But a new memory of Mashiro's floats now before me-- A memory she had looked away alongside her intense feelings for Natsuhiko...

And so now we've got a fair share of new scenes to look through. But that'll be for next time.