Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Translucent: 06/01/2020, 13:15

Back then, Mashiro was a boyish girl who bustled about town alongside the boys. The secret base that Mashiro was currently in was also a place they had found while bustling about town. The boys all called her a tomboy. And naturally, the one who started calling her that--

(I'm not gonna let him use this secret base...!)

♪ BGM: Helper / Theme of Mashiro

The boys around her nodded to her whispers. Mashiro had taken three boys to the secret base to play. Without telling Natsuhiko, of course.

Boy A: I know, but still~...
Boy B: I don't think he'd come even if we did tell him. That Natsuhiko's been acting weird lately.
Weird? How?
Boy C: Well~ he's been kinda fidgety and he's been looking kinda down. He just doesn't seem like his normal self.
Boy B: Someone said they saw him with some mystery girl too, you know?
Boy A: Yeah, I heard that too. She's 'parently in elementary school too.
Huh!?

Deep down, Mashiro was surprised to hear that. She never heard anything about Natsuhiko getting along with a girl before. It bothered her a little as to what sort of girl she was, but--

(But who cares about that guy! I know I don't, that's for sure!)

It was annoying to think about Natsuhiko-related things, so she dropped the matter.

Boy C: I bet she's his girlfriend now. My sister told me that boys get fidgety when they get girlfriends.
Boy A: A girlfriend, huh... Natsuhiko's a perv, huh?
Boy B: Yup, such a perv. Boys who get along with girls are pervs. It's common sense.
P-pervs...!? ...Huh? What does that make you guys? You're with me...
Boy A: But you're not a girl, Mashiro.
Boy B: You're a tomboy. Hahahah!
Mm, mmm....

Despite her half-hearted answer, Mashiro was irritated on the inside. She didn't know why. She knew she was being teased, but it wasn't just that.

Well, whatever. Who cares about him? Hmph!

Mashiro turned her face away with a pout. Whatever the boring reason was, it wasn't like she was going to figure it out like that.

Despite all the things she'd said, it bothered her to hear about Natsuhiko being with a girl.

I'll go tease him if they're together! Eeheehee! I'll make him sorry he ever called me a tomboy!

She held that determination in her heart, and when she actually got to the park--

♪ BGM: Peacemaker / Theme of Yuuri

(!? Could she be the girl everyone's been talking about...?)

Mashiro had never seen that girl before. Even though she pretty much knew all the girls and boys in the neighborhood-- So Mashiro decided to call out to her.

Hey, are you waiting for Natsuhiko?
Huh...?

The girl slowly turned around to face her. There was something elegant behind that gesture. Mashiro found herself overwhelmed.

Yeah. I'm waiting for Natsuhiko.
Hmm, I see. (She seems a like calm girl... and she's cute, like a doll...) Um... what's your name?
Yuuri. And you...?
Me? I'm Mashiro! Mashiro Toba!
Oh, so you're Mashiro? I've heard about you from Natsuhiko.
Huh!? What?
Well, he said you're good at getting along with anyone. He said you'd be my friend too!
Huh!? Th-that jerk! Don't go deciding things on your own...
Huh... S-so you won't be my friend then...?
Ah, no, that's not it! No, no! I will, I will!

Mashiro found herself unable to say no to Yuuri's puppy dog eyes. But it wasn't as if Mashiro were entirely reluctant. There was something about Yuuri that Mashiro was drawn to as well.

Wanna have a chat?
Yeah!

The two sat on a bench and talked. During their conversation, Mashiro found herself fascinated by Yuuri's every little gesture. Each gesture was sweet, somewhat subdued, yet quite beautiful.

(And compared to her...)

Mashiro looked at herself. Her suntanned skin. Her plain clothes. She couldn't see herself pulling off such feminine gestures. The only thing she could really pride herself in in the slightest was her hair which her mother tied up for her. That was why Mashiro admired Yuuri and wanted to be her friend.

And then... huh?
Hmm? What's wrong?
Oh, you just seemed like you were spacing out a little, so... Was my story boring...?
Huh!? No, not at all! I just had a few things on my mind, that's all!

It was too embarrassing to admit she was fascinated by her.

Geez~... you gotta be more confident in yourself, Yuuri!
M-mmm... I think so too, but...
But?

Yuuri paused and hung her head a little-- And then she murmured as if she were talking to herself.

Actually, I...
Yeah?
I've always been worrying... that I'd never have any friends... Natsuhiko was the first friend I made, but I haven't made any other friends... So I don't really know how to make friends or anything like that...
Mmm... but you're so cute! That's weird~

Yuuri's eyes opened wide.

C-cute...?
H-huh? Did I say something strange?
Awawawah... Nobody's ever told me that before. But you're way cuter than me, Mashiro.
Huh? Huh!?

Mashiro was shocked by that unexpected statement. The boys called her a tomboy. So naturally they all treated her like a boy. And as a result, Mashiro unconsciously began to think of herself as one too. So that was the first time she had been told she was ''cute'', and it really sank deep into her heart.

...No! But! You're much cuter, Yuuri!
No, you're the cute one, Mashiro.
You're cuter, Yuuri!
No, you are, Mashiro!
...pfft.
Tee hee.
We're kinda strange, aren't we?
But we're having fun, aren't we?
Yeah!

Mashiro was quite happy, to be honest. Not only did she make friends with Yuuri, but Yuuri had also told her that she was cute, which made her happier more than anything.

(Such a cute girl told me I'm cute too...)

That day, for the first time in her life, Mashiro felt proud as a girl.