Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Unlocking Scenes - Salyu

So, with Salyu, we have two chapters with Senses inputs that unlock new scenes, but one is just *full* of them. The chapters we've already seen are ''The Girl Who Was Plugged In'', ''Childhood's End'', ''The Door into Summer'', ''Watchers'' and ''The Only Neat Thing to Do''.

That novel's content was philosophical, so it was far detached from the type of adventure stories that Salyu liked. She felt a little bad since Dr. Tenkawa had recommended that novel, but Salyu was more fond of thrilling stories.

(Like the novel the professor first gave me... I lost track of how many times I've read that one. Guess I'll ask the professor for more novels by that author.)

As Salyu thought that, the door finally opened again after weeks of being shut, and in walked the professor.

And from then on, the chapter goes as normal.

Natsuhiko himself was nearby. In that case, Salyu thought it'd be best for her to make friends with them. Once Salyu agreed to be their friend, Mashiro jumped for joy.

Now, then, what should we call you? Oh, I know! 'Salyu'. How's that!?

Salyu nodded honestly to that suggestion.

It's certainly a cute name... And it has a deep meaning.
Huh?
'Salut' is French for 'hi'. A salutation. The beginning of communication. It's like an encouraging boost to my perseverance.
Your perseverance? In regards to communication?
Yes. I want to be friends with you guys. But to be honest, I'm not good at that sort of thing.
What are you talking about? We're getting through to each other right now, aren't we!?
...Are we?
We are. Aren't we, Natsuhiko?
Hmm... Yeah, I guess so.

Salyu secretly rejoiced at their words.

(Perfect first contact... I'm already friends with these two.)

That good feeling heralded the start of Salyu's new life. --But the day's lessons ended before she really had any good opportunities to have a nice and slow conversation with them.

From then on, it's the same to the next input.

The happiness she had finally gained had suddenly withered.

I was sent here to protect you, after all.
Huh...? You... protect me?

--as she looked at the confused Natsuhiko, Salyu thought to herself.

(Did I not explain sufficiently? Maybe I need to give more details.) ...Basically, it's my duty to protect you. I'm not doing it unwillingly. I want to.
Huh...? Wh-why?
...Don't know. Just am.
Y-you just are?
But I really do want to protect you.
I-I see. Hahah... Thanks.

Natsuhiko laughed dryly. It confused Salyu.

(... It's not like I said anything funny.)
Well, anyway... I'm not so weak that I need a girl to protect me. How about we head back?
...Mm.

Despite Salyu's sincere efforts to talk to him, Natsuhiko's reaction was unclear. Salyu had a hard time understanding anything that was on his mind. --And thus, the first day of Salyu's new life came to an anxious end.

Now, on to the next input.

Say, Salyu...
What?
Umm, well... I'm sorry. I'm sorry for always acting so hostile towards you.
...Mm.

When Salyu nodded awkwardly, Mashiro spoke up beside her.

Hmm, that's great. We've cleared up all those misunderstandings. So now we can begin our friendship anew, right?
Hey... don't say stuff like that. You ruined the mood.

Despite what Natsuhiko said, Salyu was deeply moved by one of the words Mashiro had said.

Friendship... such a lovely word.
Huh?
Natsuhiko. Mashiro. Let me ask. Are we friends?
Huh? I-I guess...
Of course we are, Salyu! Didn't we say that when we first met too?

Salyu felt her heart pound. She was happy to hear Mashiro's straightforward reply.

(I've learned something... The key to good communication might be honesty. You should open up your heart and come in contact with others, even if they seem scary.)

And once more, on to the next input.

...Magnificent.

The food was very delicious, but above all else, it was Mashiro's consideration that delighted Salyu.

...Um, Mashiro. Thank you for making all this magnificent food.
Nah, nah, it's no trouble at all. I like doing this. Besides, delicious food really does bring people closer together.
Agreed.

Salyu and Mashiro smiled at each other.

(Odd... I feel relaxed when I'm with Mashiro.)

She had never felt that way with anyone else besides Dr. Tenkawa. When she tried to think of why she felt that way with Mashiro too, Salyu quickly found the reason.

(I know... It's because Mashiro's gentle and she's not two-faced.) Mashiro.
Hmm?
I love you, Mashiro.
Huh!? I-is that a confession?
I tried expressing my feelings honestly. Did I do bad?
No, no, not at all! I love you too, Salyu.

When Mashiro said that, Alice cried ''kyukkyuu''. A cry denoting an amicable emotion-- Salyu thought to herself as she heard that.

(Alice's judgment largely matches Mashiro's words. Everything she says seems to be genuine.)

Salyu placed her utmost trust in Alice. And going by Alice's judgment, Salyu thought she could place unconditional trust in Mashiro as well. Afterwards, they all talked about novels and had a fun time.

And one more time.

(I see. If everyone's the same way... then I'm just wasting my time worrying about it alone. Perhaps Natsuhiko has the same sort of worries I do inside. He overcame those worries to say all that... Is this what it means to sympathize with someone??) ...Natsuhiko.
Hmm?
Were you sympathizing with me?
Yeah, in my own way.

Natsuhiko responded clearly. Alice's reaction showed that his words were the truth as well.

(So Natsuhiko and I really are the same...!)

--For the first time, Salyu felt like she understood Natsuhiko's mind.

(Then I need to respond... by trying to sympathize with Natsuhiko too.)

Salyu reconciled with Natsuhiko and the two of them decided to search for Mashiro together.

And then, this chapter actually has an extra bit that comes after the version we've already seen ended.

The three of them strove along the long distance.

Those three lights seemed to symbolize the three of them--

(No... perhaps I haven't yet joined those stars.)

There was one other friend living in the minds of Natsuhiko and Mashiro. The girl who died nine years ago, Yuuri Kotono. For some reason, whenever she thought of that girl, even Salyu felt nostalgic and heartbroken.

(... It's too late now, but I wish I knew more about her. Because the more I learn about Natsuhiko and Mashiro, the more my affection for them grows. I guess I'll ask them after this incident's over.)

She would ask them about their memories of the friend she'd never meet--

A new memory rises up from the innermost depths of her mind...

And so that's all the scenes for Salyu unlocked. There's a fairly large amount here, so that'll be fun to dig into.