Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
gatz
Oct 19, 2012

Love 'em and leave 'em
Groom 'em and feed 'em
Cid Shinjuku
. . . I will root out the bad
seed,
I will weed out the worst of you,
I will prune my dark tree,
in the manner
that my father, Adam, taught me.
The Book of Nod

Just remember, you made me do this. :black101:

The White Flash...

w-what?

Boss Fight!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swkujyHZxiM

As we've already seen, the caitiff decided to show us his final form. I decided to ask Vic what the hell was happening, and this was our exchange:

quote:

[5:48:31 PM] Vicissitude: I can't think of any mainstream power that might allow that, outside of some sort of twisted version of Protean.
[5:48:44 PM] Vicissitude: It's POSSIBLE, though, that it could be a unique shapeshifting discipline.
[5:48:53 PM] Vicissitude: IF he's a thinblood himself.
[5:49:09 PM] Vicissitude: Time of Thin Blood was after this game came out, but theoretically, it's possible.
[5:49:13 PM] gatz SA: there's a thinblood shapeshifting discipline?
[5:49:18 PM] Vicissitude: Not as such
[5:49:38 PM] Vicissitude: Among thinbloods, there was a rash of spontaneous faux-disciplines
[5:50:17 PM] gatz SA: if i remember, troika and white wolf didn't have much communication about the game, so i doubt it's what you're talking about
[5:50:27 PM] gatz SA: probably just something troika thought would be cool
[5:50:39 PM] Vicissitude: I think Dr Netchurch has a bit of a fluff aside where he works with thinbloods to kind of document their condition. One of them manifested an almost-Thaumaturgy power akin to the Path of Levinbolt
[5:51:00 PM] Vicissitude: Yeah, that seems likely. Could just be the way their Protean works for NPCs :v

The serial killer causes aggravated damage, but with fortitude activated he doesn't even scratch us. It's an odd fight, almost as if Troika scaled back the difficulty because this encounter happens in Santa Monica, i.e. to have the fight be akin to the other Santa Monica bosses. Since it's later in the game, our stats and powers have improved dramatically, making this fight a cakewalk.

That is, unless we both get stuck on the level architecture. I could've handled this like any other boss fight, using a melee weapon to do the deed. As a side note, bashing weapons do little damage, so the sledgehammer is out. I've gone with the poor man's katana instead, doing lethal damage.

Yet instead of the usual affair, we can see that a wall of fire miraculously appeared where we entered the scene.

Just have to send him flying forward, and...

It's a guaranteed win. He stands there, fanning the air, as the fire decreases his health by bunches.

Cue fadeout, which is predictable because again, a wall of fire spontaneously came into existence barring our exit.

The quest is complete, and we have 2 more experience points in our pocket.

But what if we would have taken a different path?

Here we are, at the crossroads; the site where the choice was made. We were free. We had chosen. We danced down a path for joy in the taste of potatoes. But we could have walked a different path, like this:

I'll waste no more time on you. Don't be surprised when you wake up staked.

Or this:

Do you think your family would be proud of how you're acting?

[Anguished, breaking down] No - God no! No! It's got to stop. I can't live like this. You're right. Oh God, you're right! I'll never do it again, I swear. Forgive me.

Alright. Go. Get on with your unlife.

Or even this:

Remember when I said that half the time, this scene doesn't correctly trigger? Well, when it doesn't, we have the opportunity to get a clean shot on the slasher.

Which triggers a boss fight with the slasher's regular form.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wiSmENAyQS4

This time the wall of fire doesn't appear, and oddly enough, the slasher does more damage in his regular form than his other, werewolf-like form.

Fortitude negates most of it, though. Without fire to do the trick, we're left with the option of slashing away until his health runs out.

Beats me if Troika included that on purpose. Regardless, we've completed the quest and can now head back to Hollywood.

Away from here.

We enjoyed the taste of potatoes.

Earlier it was requested that we go to Vesuvius. If I remember correctly, it was the second most popular choice when I asked the thread where we should go. We might as well take care of it now, before advancing the main plot any further. Maybe that's just me, I like to do all the side quests I can before advancing the main quest. Baldur's Gate 2 went a little weirdly for me.

The Vesuvius theme is pretty memorable. It sounds like Rik Schaffer used an EBow in it.

To the left there's some Vesuvius Swag we can't get our hands on. Too bad, I'm sure that calender would've looked great in our downtown apartment.

Continuing forward, the hallway opens into Vesuvius's main chamber, the main feature of which adorns the center of the room; a stage with two dancing poles, three strippers, and a fake lava pool.

In the corners of the place, the male Toreador PC is getting a lap dance...

A stripper stands around, bored...

and Chunk's more disgusting brother pretends to be a zombie.

As we approach the VIP room, someone interrupts us.

Some kindred must get a hardon for kine.

Who are you?

I think... we... should get to know each other a little better upstairs, where we can... be ourselves. Come up to my room - just fourteen little steps - I'll make it worth it, believe me.

How do I know this isn't some kind of trap?

You'd be missing out if it wasn't. :smug:

In a world where almost everything is out to get us, it's better to play these types of things safe.

Forget it. Why don't we just talk here?

I'm not going to force you to come upstairs with me - I've never had anyone refuse - I just thought we might have something in common, you and I. Well, you know where to find me if you change your mind.

It seems that we must play her game to know what she wants from us.

Oh, alright... let's talk.

We follow this mystery vampire up the stairs,

and into Vesuvius' VIP room.

We're can try to seduce her, but really, what would that give us? Whoever this is, she's just trying to use her looks to get what she wants. Attempt to seduce her, and we'll only be wrapped around her finger.

I knew there had to be a catch.

Oh, I forget sometimes the two-faced nature of our blood. It's sad, really... the way we get conditioned so quickly, isn't it?

Fake sympathy. Trust nothing she says.

Right. Look, lady, I know you've got some ulterior motive - spill it.

Is it very difficult carrying that heavy weight of suspicion around your neck? Isn't it uncomfortable?

I'm Velvet - Miss Velour will do.

It's been months since I've seen anyone new in here. I was starting to take it personally. And who should finally walk in but a real celebrity. I've heard a lot about you.
[playfully seductive] So, uh... wouldn't you like to know about me?

Miss Velour is doubtlessly used to being the center of attention, the object of everyone's affection. She has an inflated sense of importance. I'm not sure if you all agree with me, but I had an immediate dislike of Velvet, here. Manipulative and egocentric. If only vampires aged, we could see the day where her looks fade, and consequently her value to those around her, fade away. She would be discarded just as quickly as she discards others who fall into her trap and outlive their use.

You're already boring me to tears.

The truth can be cruel, but that doesn't mean you have to be.

The truth is. Tell me of the hunters.

Hunters... yes... they've been staking out Hollywood for several weeks. They've been in Ash's club, mine, a few others. I think they're whittling down their list of suspects. I'm a bit nervous. Until recently I had one right under my nose.

That's one tiny hunter.

For a few weeks, one of them was working here at Vesuvius, keeping an eye on the clientele. I found a weapon in her locker and I fired her. But she's still in Hollywood, watching my club... and me.

Let me guess, now she wants us to handle it.

It may be difficult to accept, but you may have to kill her.

That's too bad. I had another question.

Mmm-hmm...?

We can at least use Velvet to get information. Let's throw her a softball, get her to talk about herself.

Tell me about yourself.

Mmm-hmm....

Uh-huh. Very mysterious.

So, you're a stripper, huh?

I'm a dancer.

I can think of a few more terms. Is Velvet your real name?

It is now.

How did you become Kindred?

I'm sorry, I'd rather revel in the present than dwell on the past.

gently caress this.

What's to do in Hollywood?

Mingle, sightsee, chat - and me, of course. :smug:

What can you tell me about Ash?

Ash... Isaac does so love him. We're like step-siblings, Ash and I. But I think Ash is reckless. He's never been comfortable with what he's become... and he's getting careless.

Tell me about Isaac.

I adore Isaac - he's the father I never had. Why, if anything happened to him, I'd just end it all... but nothing ever will. Isaac's gifted, a saintly patron of the arts, and the most respected Kindred in this city.

Alright. If this wasn't a video game, I would tell Velvet to gently caress right off. But this is one, and we get experience for being her pawn.

About that hunter... If she's still a problem, I'll kill her.

Velvet, trying to be coy, doesn't want to admit that pawning this task off to us was the only reason she was interested in us.

Depends, what's it worth to you?

I've got a girl, Misti... she's divine, and a willing blood doll for the right amount of money. I'll set her up for you, my treat.

That's all we can get. Well, that and some experience.

Sounds good. What do you want me to do?

You'd really be willing to do this for me? I won't lie, it's going to be dangerous. But if you got rid of her, I'd be grateful... very, very grateful.

:jerkbag:

What do I do?

I want you to understand: I don't want any innocents killed on my account. So if there are other dancers or patrons around, you'll have to lure them away from her. Do it as quietly as you can. No witnesses, please. And be careful using Disciplines around the hunter.

This won't take long. Be back in a minute.

We'll take care of Velvet's quests next time.

gatz fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Jun 22, 2014