Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Actually, I respectfully disagree with you there. For as obviously flawed as this game is, there ARE a lot of really good things about it. The presentation and atmosphere, for example, are the most immediate things. No other Yu-Gi-Oh game goes out of the way to really make

Alright then, here comes the final script comparison! Personally, I would recommend at least reading the Epilogue, as it is both FAR more poetic, and it goes in a totally different direction in tone than the English one. Here we go...

ZERO (IF YOU COLLECTED ALL OF THE PARTS)

Sigma: Look who I found wandering around, Mega Man! My friend here has a small problem with you. It seems that you let him die, and he’s not too happy about that! I think it’s time he repays the favor!

(Zero appears and destroys Copy Zero)

Zero: Sigma, you should have studied the blueprints closer! There is only one Zero!

Sigma: Wait, Zero! I know your secret! You were destined to follow me!

Zero: Maybe so, but I still don’t like you!

Sigma: Fine. If you will not follow me, then I’ll watch you die once again!

(Sigma runs away)

X: Zero!

Zero: Sorry to keep you waiting, Mega Man X. The greetings will have to wait. We’ve got to defeat all the Mavericks including Sigma! I’ll take care of the main computer, and you follow Sigma. Let’s go!

(Zero breaks open the floor)

Zero: Here it is, X! Sigma lies just ahead!

Sigma: It’s been a while, X. I have been eagerly awaiting this day. Now, let's do introductions. This here is my new partner. Old comrades, fight to your heart's content!

(Zero appears and destroys Copy Zero)

Zero: Hey Sigma! Was that seriously the best copy you could make of me?!

Sigma: drat you Zero! I should be your master! Why do you defy me?!

Zero: Because I hate you.

Sigma: Tch!

(Sigma withdraws)

X: Zero!

Zero: Sorry to have kept you waiting, X, but let's save the hellos for later! Right now, we need to stop Sigma! I will destroy this base’s main computer. X, you chase after Sigma!

It’s here! X! The next room is where Sigma’s true form is!

Love how blunt Zero is in the Japanese version, but I also really liked Sigma's dialogue in the English version. It's much more detailed, and he comes off as much more of a sadist, whereas in the Japanese version, he just kind of...gets straight to the point. Which isn't nearly as interesting.

ZERO (IF YOU DIDN'T COLLECT ALL OF THE PARTS)

Sigma: Look who I found wandering around, Mega Man X! My friend here has a small problem with you. It seems that you let him die, and he’s not too happy about that! Now I think it is time he repays the favor!

(X fights Zero and wins)

X: Zero…

Zero: ….

X: Do you remember me?

Zero: Yeah… I guess so… Sorry to cause you so much trouble. X, you need to go after Sigma! I’ll try and destroy the main computer.

X: Take care of yourself, Zero. I don’t have time to put you back together again!

Zero: I’ll be OK. Get going, X!

Zero: Here it is, X! Sigma lies just ahead!

Sigma: It’s been a while, X. I have been eagerly awaiting this day. Now, let's do introductions. This here is my new partner. Old comrades, fight to your heart's content!

(X fights with Zero and wins)

X: Zero…

Zero: …X?

X: ...! Has your memory returned? Zero!

Zero: Yeah… looks like I caused quite a bit of trouble for you, huh? X, You chase after Sigma! I will destroy the Main Computer!

X: Zero! Do you...WANT to die?!

Zero: I’ll be fine. Hurry up and go!

It’s here! X! The next room is where Sigma’s true form is!

Gotta love X's "don't have time to put you back together again" line in the English version

X VS. SIGMA

Sigma: You are merely a bothersome insect, Mega Man X! It is about time that I crush you beneath my heel!

(X battles Sigma and wins)

Sigma: Mega Man X, I have lost to you again… Each defeat only makes me stronger and serves to bring you closer to your ultimate doom! But, something is not right… I… don’t quite understand… Why did Zero…he is… last… of the doctor’s creations…Arrrrrggggghhhhh…

Sigma: X! Must you haunt me to the very end?! If you wish to fight...Then I, the newly revitalized Lord Sigma, shall be the instrument of your destruction!

(X battles Sigma and wins)

Sigma: X…It appears that I have lost once again…However, I can always come back again and again, and harvest yet more power. Your victory is only temporary! But, Zero, why…he’s…the last of…Wi…num…ers…GRRRAAAAGGGGGHHHHH!!

Again, the Japanese script is much more explicit in regards to certain plot details. Where the English just says that Zero is "the last of the doctor's creations", the Japanese actually says "the last of Wily's numbers" (in reference to the fact that each of the Robot Masters were assigned numbers in the original Mega Man series). And of course, the English INSISTS on saying "Mega Man X" when the original script only has people calling him "X". It really doesn't seem as though our localizers were fully aware of everything happening the story, does it ?

Now, let me explain something about the "instrument of your destruction" line, because this was another liberty taken by me. So, you know those old cliched lines, such as "the writing is on the wall", or "your days are numbered", or "the blind leading the blind"? They're every day expressions that were borrowed from the Bible, so as a result, they somehow managed to be both poetic AND cliched at the same time.

So going back to the script here, the completely literal translation of what Sigma says is something like "how about this powered-up Sigma buries you in darkness!” So, obvious grammatical awkwardness aside, "burying someone in darkness" is a VERY common Anime line that you'll find said in many video games and TV shows, usually by a villain. Now, I'm not sure whether it's meant to be poetic or not, but I'm guessing it is...so that's why I went with the "instrument of your destruction" line. I did that in order to have him say something that was equally poetic, but also did NOT smack of "literally transliterated Japanese media-kun", as someone called Vilkacis so aptly put it. Because if you EVER find "I will bury you in darkness" or "Fufufufufu" in any kind of fan translation...you can bet dollars to donuts that the fan translators translated said video game too literally.

That said though, if you don't like the slightly exaggerated route that I took, there are also other options if you want the line to be a bit more accurate. For example, you could just have Sigma say "I shall send you to oblivion!" or "I shall welcome you to oblivion!" or "I shall send you to the great beyond!" or "I shall be the ferryman to your demise!" So, I just thought that was an interesting tangent to go on .

EPILOGUE

Joined by his friend Zero, Mega Man X gazes out over the sea. Sigma has once again been destroyed, but X wonders if the fighting will truly end. Was Dr. Light’s dream of a world in which Reploids and humans lived together in peace merely a dream? The price of peace is often high, X thinks to himself. Who or what must be sacrificed for it to become a reality? And when the time comes, will he be able to do it? The future holds the answers or…

X...He who repelled the menace of the resurrected Sigma, and rescued his best friend, Zero. His mission as a hunter accomplished, X's mind swims within distant memories, awoken beneath the sea of the morning sun. X wonders why he can feel such burning power overflowing from his cold body, such a warm sense of peace. Humans and machines; a world in which two different beings live in perfect peace with one another...At one time, that was the utopia one scientist never stopped wishing for. Will that wish for change, the charge that he entrusted to X, ever become a reality? X...For now, you shall rest easy as you set your eyes towards the oncoming battles, for you know that great power lies hidden within your innocuous frame. And you shall pray that this time, peace shall not be so short-lived…