Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Actually, I respectfully disagree with you there. For as obviously flawed as this game is, there ARE a lot of really good things about it. The presentation and atmosphere, for example, are the most immediate things. No other Yu-Gi-Oh game goes out of the way to really make

Boy, not a lot of dialogue in that one. Makes this next translation update real easy!

DOCTOR LIGHT'S BUSTER UPGRADE

Dr. Light: Enter this capsule, X. Take this Arm Upgrade. The Upgrade will increase the strength of your charged shots. This Upgrade will also allow you to charge any of your special weapons. Defeat the enemy there, X!

Dr. Light: Come, enter this capsule. With these Arm Parts I made, youíll be able to fire a very powerful charge shotÖ.furthermore, youíll also be able to charge special weapons! Defeat the oncoming threat X!

Taking this super literally, it's easy to see why the English translation turned out the way it did. His literal words can mean "defeat the approaching foe", OR it can mean "defeat the approaching foes". Going with the latter interpretation, it seems to me like he's speaking more metaphorically, and isn't saying that anyone is ACTUALLY sneaking up behind X at that very moment.

TO THE CORE!!

Dr. Cain: X! Finally weíve cleared all the protection!

X: All right! Dr. CainÖ Iím going to go to the core!

Dr. Cain: X! Weíve finally cleared all the protection!

X: Understood, Dr. Cain! Iím moving out!

Yeah, pretty much the same. Keeniya's translation was actually "we've SOLVED all the protection", but I'm guessing that the word used there can mean "cleared" to, and the latter makes more sense.

REMATCH WITH ZAIN!

Zain: Iíve been waiting for you, X! You have no chance to win!

Zain: Iíve been waiting...X, there is no way you can beat me! Here I come!

(X defeats Zain.)

Zain: I canít believe thisÖ

Zain: Im-Impossible...

(Zain dies. Geemel appears.)

Geemel: Kyee! X, you disgust me!

Geemel: Youíve really done it now! Kiiii!

X: Who are you?!

X: Who are you?!

Geemel: My name is Geemel! How dare you defeat my buddy! Iíll get you later! Remember!

Geemel: Mi name is Geemel! You destroyed mi amigo! Imma make life HELL for you! Remember that!

Turns out, Geemel has an interesting speech quirk here in the Japanese version. See, he does NOT use Japanese Pronouns to refer to himself, but instead just uses the English word "me". I don't know WHY he does that, but in the context of the Japanese language, this makes him sound like...

1) A foreigner

2) A really, REALLY weird, quirky guy

So, that's why my localization has him saying "Mi name is Geemel" and "You've defeated mi amigo!" "Mi" is the Spanish word for "my", and I'm sure you can guess what "amigo" is. And, in case you haven't guess, "Imma make life HELL for you!" is an embellishment of what was originally just "I'll make things hard for you!". I figured that was ok, because again, we want to emphasize his quirkiness.