Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Actually, I respectfully disagree with you there. For as obviously flawed as this game is, there ARE a lot of really good things about it. The presentation and atmosphere, for example, are the most immediate things. No other Yu-Gi-Oh game goes out of the way to really make
More translation stuff you say? No problem!

X VS. SIGMA (WITH ZERO)

Zero: I’ll go ahead and destroy the power generator. X, you go upstairs and destroy Sigma’s body.

Zero: I’ll head to destroy the power reactor. X, head up to the upper floor and destroy Sigma’s body.

(X meets Sigma within the base)

Sigma: We meet again, X… It was easy to corrupt that fool, Doppler. And I would have succeeded if you hadn’t interfered. But we are always destined to meet, aren’t we X? Let the eternal struggle begin!!

Sigma: I’m happy to be able to meet you again. Oh, X… Using Doppler I’ve made it this far, but things have been spoiled thanks to you yet again. It seems it is fate that we fight. Here I come!

Man, his Japanese dialogue is even more generic than his English dialogue :colbert:

(X defeats Sigma)

Sigma: Well done, X. But I’m far stronger than my previous forms. Behold the power of the ultimate battle body!!

Sigma: Very good, X…don’t think this is the end!! I’ll have you taste the power of the ultimate battle body I had Doppler make right here, right now!

Apparently, Japanese Sigma REALLY felt the need to remind X that, yes, Dr. Doppler WAS indeed the one who made the battle body. He just could not move on unless he got that across.

(X defeats Sigma again. Sigma reveals his true virus form)

Sigma: N… No!! This can’t be! I can’t even defeat you with this magnificent body..?! There seems to be only one choice now… I’ll possess you!!

Sigma: I…impossible…this can’t be! I can’t defeat you even with this body… If this is how it’s going to be, then X! I will take that body of yours!

(Sigma chases X until a dead end)

X: drat! It’s a dead end…

X: !? drat! It’s a dead end…

Sigma: Ha ha ha. Give up, X. I’ll possess your body and rule the whole world!!

Sigma: Hahahahaha…too bad, eh, X? Next I will possess you and take the world!

(Zero comes and saves X, cutting Sigma)

Sigma: Garrrrr! You’re… Zero… It’s you… again…

Sigma: Guaaaaaaa!! Y, you’re…Ze…Zero… It’s you yet again…

Zero: How do you like that, Sigma? I picked up a Anti-Sigma virus program from Doppler and used it on my Beam Sabre! Sorry about the delay, X. I thought the program might be the only thing that would work against Sigma.

Zero: How’s that, Sigma? How’s the attack of my beam saber mounted with the Sigma virus antibody that Doppler left behind!? Sorry I’m late, X. On the way here from destroying the power reactor I found this anti-body. With this I can even damage immaterial Sigma.

Redundant Japanese dialogue is redundant. Also, English Zero just spouted off another typo.

Sigma: My program… is… disappearing… But… someday… I… will…

Sigma: My pro…gram…is…d…disappearing… Someday…again…

For some reason, Sigma's final words are different between the two endings in the English version. In the JAPANESE version, his final words are the same for both endings, but somehow the English localizers overlooked that. I'm starting to think this may've been a somewhat rushed production...

(Sigma dies)

X VS. SIGMA (WITHOUT ZERO

Sigma: We meet again, X… It was easy to corrupt that fool, Doppler. And I would have succeeded if you hadn’t interfered. But we are always destined to meet, aren’t we X? Let the eternal struggle begin!!

Sigma: I’m happy to be able to meet you again. Oh, X… Using Doppler I’ve made it this far, but things have been spoiled thanks to you yet again. It seems it is fate that we fight. Here I come!

(X defeats Sigma)

Sigma: Well done, X. But I’m far stronger than my previous forms. Behold the power of the ultimate battle body!!

Sigma: Very good, X…don’t think this is the end!! I’ll have you taste the power of the ultimate battle body I had Doppler make right here, right now!

(X defeats Sigma again. Sigma reveals his true virus form)

Sigma: N… No!! This can’t be! I can’t even defeat you with this magnificent body..?! There seems to be only one choice now… I’ll possess you!!

Sigma: I…impossible…this can’t be! I can’t defeat you even with this body… If this is how it’s going to be, then X! I will take that body of yours!

(Sigma chases X until a dead end)

X: drat! It’s a dead end…

X: !? drat! It’s a dead end…

Sigma: Ha ha ha. Give up, X. I’ll possess your body and rule the whole world!!

Sigma: Hahahahaha…too bad, eh, X? Next I will possess you and take the world!

(Doppler comes and saves X)

Sigma: Aaarrrgggg… You’re Doppler… How did you obtain this…

Sigma: Guaaaaaaa!! You’re…D…Doppler… What’s this?! When did you…

Doppler: How do you feel now, Sigma? Did you like my special vaccine for the Sigma virus? X, I’m sorry to have given you so much trouble. I know I can never really atone for what I’ve done… But I will try to set things right by taking Sigma with me!!

Doppler: How’s that? Sigma!! How’s the taste of the Sigma virus antibody that I prepared! X. I’ve caused all sorts of trouble for you… I’ve done unforgivable things to other Reploids, as well… At the very least, to atone for my sins I shall go to hell together with the Sigma virus.

I don't know why Mithos thinks this line is Engrishy. Aside from him referring to his own antibody as the "Sigma virus antibody", his dialogue seems fine to me. It even manages to be more natural than the purely literal translation, imo.

Sigma: My program… is… fading…

Sigma: My pro…gram…is…d…disappearing…

Sigma's inconsistent ending dialogue...Woosleyism or lack of proofreading? You decide!

Doppler: X… it’s… time to say… goodbye…

Doppler: And so…X…fare…well…

(Doppler and Sigma are destroyed)

EPILOGUE

X has crushed Sigma’s plan once again. But many questions still occupy his mind……
“Why must humans fight against Reploids…?”
“And, why must Reploids fight against each other…”
As X stares at the burning remnants of Doppler’s lab, his body trembles from an unknown sorrow.
“What does fate have in store for me now?” he wonders.
He can only hope that someday Dr. Light’s plan for him will finally be revealed.
Unknown to X, his destiny has already been decided.
To save mankind, he must destroy Zero.
But only time will tell, when and why…..

He who has repeatedly destroyed Sigma’s plans, X.
However, after the fight the only thing left in his heart is emptiness.

Why must mankind and Reploids…
Why must Reploids and fellow Reploids fight amongst themselves…?

Staring at the manipulated Doppler’s laboratory, X…

While gazing at that flame burning every so brightly,
X’s cold body trembles from a sorrow and rage with nowhere to go.

Then, someday to be reminded,
his own memory currently doesn’t know how of
his fated fight with Zero…

What will they see ahead of them from here…

Yiiiiikes. Imagine trying to translate THAT bit of gibberish. Yes, that right there is a classic example of purple prose from the Japanese version...except, "purple prose" stains very easily when run through the rinse cycle of English localization. We get borderline gibberish when trying to translate it directly. In light of that, it looks like the localizers pretty much took the same approach I took when localizing the X2 ending.

Why? Because we're dealing with two completely different languages, with a totally different way of constructing sentences. You MIGHT be able to get away with a purely literal translation for plain, expositiony dialogue, but for anything that's trying to be poetic? Like, say, your typical Opening or Ending Anime song? You're pretty much forced to abandon a word-for-word translation if you want to preserve ANY kind of artistic quality.

And for an example of when a song like that is localized VERY well, just feast your eyes on this wall of gibberish...

In the shattered mirror Your reflected image
Crying Crying
A finger tracing the narrow moon

Are you calling someone The back of love that has gone
No matter how many times No matter how many times
Because I knock on your window

Like a thread being cut
Your back is pushed by the acceleration of the night
Only, you you I embrace tightly

Exchanging unbalanced kisses
Comes closer to love
Both your tears and the sorrowful lies
Sleep in my heart

...And then see just how masterfully it was localized by people who clearly cared about their job!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDypgHE_YyU

Fionordequester fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Mar 11, 2016