Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Helmet 10 Warehouse
Jul 21, 2007

Update 9: Don't Lose Your Head

Phidoch Castle: The chalk used in the construction of this castle's wall gives Phidoch its nickname: "The Swan." It is nonetheless a powerful fortress situates in the middle of the island.

Phidoch Castle is home to the Dark Knights of Lodis, the might behind the Bakram-Valerian empire and feared as one of the most influential and merciless forces in all of Valeria. That means it's time to confront the men responsible for the tragedy that changed Denam's life. I don't see how this could possibly go wrong.

Also our efforts in helping Cistina has awarded us with the new title of "Freedom Fighter." This is one of four possible titles from the previous fight, but we will not be worrying about the others for a long time. In case I didn't mention it our old title, which we got for fighting Nybeth, was "Corpus Dancer." I liked that one better.

As we approach the castle we encounter a nameless Dark Knight. Though he lacks a name, I'm reasonably sure he and the other guards are enough to take us. We should stay on our toes.

I mean just look at him. He looks like the type of guy who wouldn't stop trying to kill us, no matter how many limbs he loses in the process.

Lenoar, I can't respect you with a name like that.

I come before you a humble servant of the great Duke Ronwey, esteemed leader of the Walister.

I shall announce your arrival.

The Dark Knight leaves to get his manager.

See her soaring white walls? No wonder they name her "The Swan." But beneath her outward beauty is a nearly impregnable fortress.

I know Leonar. I read the description of this place on the world map.

Be glad we are not tasked to take her.

The Dark Knight returns along with the Assistant General Manager in charge of customer relations and second-in-command of the Dark Knights, Balxephon Rahms.

Leonar hands Balxephon a letter from the duke.

I do, my lord.

No doubt you've had a hard journey. Come. Rest within our halls.

Everyone heads inside.

An awkward and nervous silence fills the room as the party waits for Balxephon to return with the Dark Knights' decision.

Balxephon closes the invisible door behind him.

Have you an answer?

Perhaps you had best ask my lord directly for that.

Sir Lanselot is here, in this castle!?

Whelp, this can't be good.

Do you think Balxephon and Lanselot do this to every guest? If they do I bet those two guards were laughing at us the whole time.

Greetings, brave Knights of Walister. I am Lanselot Tartaros.

Leonar Reci Rimon of Almorica, if it please you. You have considered our proposal?

Ha! You waste no time, do you? I like that. I do have an answer for your duke. Tell his grace that his struggle with the Galgastani is of no concern to his eminence Abuna Brantyn. Nor is it any concern of ours. The Knights Loslorien remain and shall remain neutral on the matter.

Note: The Knights Loslorien is another name for the Dark Knights of Lodis.

My thanks, sir, for your swift response. Our lord will be much pleased.

Indeed. Yet I must ask: Do you really believe you can defeat Galgastan without our aid?

All we want - all we have ever wanted - is to fashion a peace with them. The Galgastani are a proud people. Were it to come to light that we sought the aid of a foreign power...I am afraid it would endanger the position of those in the Galgastani ranks who seek an accord as we do.

So your duke does not want to anger his neighbors by placing his problems in our hands.

I...I did not mean to suggest...

No matter. We of Lodis place much upon a man's honor. I can understand why your duke would disdain the Bakram way - enjoying a life of leisure while others do their dirty work.

As you say, sir.

Though they may be young in years, my Knights' skill in battle is no lesser for it.

Indeed.

They freed his Excellency and routed the Galgastani at Almorica. Moreover, it was they who came to my aid in Krysaro. Without their intervention, I would not be here today.

You forgot to mention how we kicked a necromancer's rear end, thank you very much.

Ah, so these are the heroes of Golyat, then? Forgive an old knight his errant tongue. I say...have we met?

No, not as such. That is...

That is...what? Speak plainly.

I don't think that counts as plainly.

You were there.

Mind your place, Catiua! Have you forgotten why we are here?

Revenge? We're here for revenge, right?

Ixnay on the revenge-nay.

Now let's see what would have happened if Denam was a little bit more hot-headed.

We cannot join forces with a sworn foe...and you are our foe.

What quarrel is this, and what place has it here!?

Are you mad? Please, forgive him. His passion clouds his judgement.

Shut up Denam. You're starting to sound like Vyce. By the way Vyce has been pretty quiet so far. I wonder if something's wrong with him. Well besides the usual.

Regardless of your choice the conversation continues as follows.

Ahh, the torching. You would have been children...of course!

Yes, the torching. I remember it like it was yesterday. You were there, and you were there, and you...

Aye. We attacked that night on word that elements of the Resistance lurked in town.

False word, yes. I remember it well. As do you, clearly. We were in error, though I hardly expect forgiveness on that count. Still, I can but apologize, for all it will do.

Lanselot bows to offer his condolences.

E-enough of this. The Duke awaits our return. Forgive them - forgive us, good Sir. We'll be taking our leave.

As the party politely leaves the room.

Catiua pauses for a moment.

She looks back to see not a cold-hearted murder, but an old soldier. One who's mind is heavy with the memories of the acts he has committed throughout his life.

You recall Hobyrim?

Hrnn? My brother? Aye, he was a staunch ally in a fight. Why?

Nothing. Only, the brother and sister just now put me in mind of him and you.

Okay, that went well. The Dark Knights agreed to the proposal and for the time being Denam and the rest of the duke's army can focused on freeing the Walisters from the brutal grip of Galgastan.

So, let's report back to the duke.

Would that time afforded you more rest - but I must ask you to leave for Balmamusa at once.

Balmamusa? That lies in the territory the Galgastani allotted for Walister rule, no?

Walister rule.... Hmph. Camps where our people are forced to live in squalor. It was a mining town, once. Coal. Now our kinsmen are herded there like cattle. Some five thousand labor in Balmamusa, slaves in all but name. The conditions are horrific beyond words. Scores die by the day.

Then it falls to us to free them.

You could never free five hundred, leave alone five thousand. No, you are to incite them to revolt.

I don't think it will be as easy as Vyce makes it out to be.

In truth, we cannot stay our course and hope for victory. We are far outmatched. However slight, we must tip the scales in our favor before Galgastan strikes. If all goes well, our bid will widen the rift between Balbatos and his enemies at home. He can scarce dispatch troops here before silencing the cries of dissent within his own ranks. We cannot let such chance escape us!

Your task will be to win them to our cause.

They grow weary of fighting, else they would rally more readily. I can think of none better to wake their slumbering heroism than young heroes such as yourselves.

I shall follow at the head of a separate file bearing arms for them.

So, we have to do all the work. How surprising.

The Galgastani hold the lands west of Tynemouth. Dame Ravness will go with you in support.

I'm going to spare you from a lazy joke about how she fights with a spear.

Much rests on your young shoulders. I pray for your swift return.

The gang leaves to prepare for another battle.

That doesn't sound good.

That really doesn't sound good.

At least it appears Ravness has been left out of the loop. I hope she left the room both the two of them stated laughing manically.

:toot:

After this entirely on the level scene, we are returned to the world map. However, trying to leave Almorica will trigger another cutscene.

Lanselot Hamilton is standing in an empty part of the town watching the sunset.

Before this scene begins I want to say two things. First, I really like this scene. Second, make note that this is the first time we see Denam without either Catiua or Vyce.

For the first time we see Denam acting on his own.

This is our first chance to see him as his own character.

Sir Gildas told me I'd find you here.

So you have. Please, come closer.

Sir Leonar says it will be a dangerous undertaking.

Are you frightened? That's not like you.

I am not frightened.

There's no shame in admitting fear. We are all afraid at one time or another.

Lanselot looks down at his hand.

More times than I can count. At the first ring of steel, my hands tremble with it.

But when faced with death, the fear is all too real.

Risking your life is one thing. Losing it is another. The best way to aid your people is to stay alive. See the battle through to the end. And there's your sister to think of.

Click here for music.

A music box. It belonged to my wife.

...Your wife?

It's been four...five years now. Before the war with the Empire. They had already begun their advance, and we fled - vagrants in our own land. My wife fell ill, and before I knew it...she was gone. I considered following her into death. My thoughts often strayed down that path before battle. But her music box still sang of live, and I knew it was not my time. My burden had not yet reached its end.

I'm sorry.

Lanselot closes the music box and only the sounds of the water rushing by remains.

Denam turns his eyes to the setting sun. Even though they are watching the same scene unfold, he is still too inexperienced to see what lies ahead in the same way as Lanselot.

Next Time:
We set out for battle on the road to Balmamusa.

Warren Report

Resistance-Bakram Alliance?
Resistance-Bakram Alliance?

Leonar Reci Rimon
Balxephon V. Rahms
Balxephon V. Rahms