Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Helmet 10 Warehouse
Jul 21, 2007

Update 13: Dear Friends

Even though it was extremely close our decision has been made. We will not bloody our hands with the blood of innocent people.

You are yet young.... Your heart is pristine, though I daresay your hands have seen their share of bloodshed. All that is required of you is to plunge those hands deeper. Bloody them not for survival, but for your cause.

Catiua, Vyce, and Ravness emerge just as Denam falls to the ground.

Catiua rushes to her brother's aid.

While Vyce stands there.

All eyes turn towards Vyce.

Without even a flinch, he moves forward.

Denam and his sister jump back as their friend approaches.

I have only one thing to say.

What good are kinsmen who won't lift arms for our cause? I'll tell you. They're as good as dead. If it's retribution you fear, fear not - they'll all be in their graves, thanking you for martyring them!

I don't believe what I am hearing! If this is a jest, it is in terrible humor!

Vyce, what's wrong with your face? Did you finally reach a level beyond super dickhead.

Also, oh no. Vyce betrayed us. Didn't see that one coming. :geno:

Quiet, Catiua! You've made a fool of me long enough. You as well, Denam! You...you vex me. Always have! What ever gave you the right to command me!

I would see through any of his grace's decrees, as his loyal servant - no, as a loyal servant to our people.

You'd call such bloodshed "service"? Since when have we used our kinsmen's lives as leverage? Our lord has betrayed us all. To think I was willing to give my life for such a man. What a fool I was.

I did not think you one to abdicate duty, Ravness. To break faith with lord and realm.

At least Ravness is on our side. Though it makes you wonder who she would be siding with if we choose the other option. But we won't be getting the answer to that question for a very long time.

I always thought to find you at my side the day the Walister won their freedom. But if men of our own blood would stand against us, why should I expect more of you?

Am I not Walister?

Walister descended from Galgastani stock. But the fault is mine. I should not have placed such faith in one of mingled blood!

How dare you!

Leonar turns as more men arrive from the same route we originally took.

Yet Ronwey in Almorica and his rabble have trampled upon that peace, and lifted their swords once again. We will not sit here and wait for death to visit us! We'll show them what it means to be Galgastani! Root out the Walister in town and butcher them like swine they are! Leave not one alive! To battle!

Leonar and Vyce leave to carryout our their orders.

Vyce turns around.

:ohdear:

:ohdear: :ohdear:

*fade to black*

Yes it's one of those leave the player stranded between battles with no way to restock or train if they get stuck on a difficult fight situations. At least they gave us warning this time.

You didn't think this was going to end without a fight now did you.

While Canopus flies on ahead, you can see this is the same battlefield as the previous fight.

But this time we're the ones stuck at the bottom.

Where as the enemy now enjoys the high ground. Seems the duke had no problems finding people to go along with his scheme.

Notice that the enemy for this fight has a very apparent violet color scheme (as opposed to the normal yellow one). It's one of the games way of pointing out that they are Walisters in disguise, it's a nice touch.

The knight here represents our first priority since she can cast healing spells.

Canopus Strikes First Count: 6

With Canopus engaging the enemy above, the rest of our unit have no other choice but to take the long way up.

The enemy knight is of course healing herself.

Our units continue to trek along, but they still have a way to go before they can enter the fight.

This is giving the enemy plenty of time to play with Canopus. The enchantress used poison mist which is a water magic spell that, well, causes the poison status effect. Nothing fancy to say about it.

Finally, Leal makes it to the enemy.

It's not much but it's a start.

Now then, Canopus needs to get rid of that poison. Hemorrhaging HP is never good.

This is the point where I realize I haven't been buying that many items and my inventory is looking a little slim.

Denam makes it to the front but more importantly his Rampart Aura makes it to front.

With this the first part of my plan is complete.

The enemy knight does that thing I didn't what her to do.

But in due time doomfunk sets things right.

I moved Buluru into the position pointed out above and now my plan is complete. Look at the little pathway we have taken up position in. Thanks to the uneven terrain and other natural barriers, it is entirely possible to make an impassible wall using only 2-3 units. If I were to move Leal back a space there would be no way for the enemy to reach our backline units. I love it when you can use strategy in a strategy RPG.

Their frontline may have just been made irrelevant, but the enemy archers still pose a threat. Or they would if they weren't using crossbows.

And down goes their main healer. Now they have no chance to win this battle of attrition.

Oh, poison. That's actually a smart move. Good job A.I.

She's pretty good at that.

This is when I decided to just out last the poison. We have enough healing abilities to negate the constant HP damage.

From here on the battle is just a back and forth of arrows and swords.

And poison, can't forget the poison.

Lots and lots of poison.

Catiua, who never made it up the steps, is still contributing to the fight in her own way.

Sometime during the battle Denam and Justina here became shieldbros.

And in an act of mercy Leal killed her before the poison took her.

At this point I'm so sick of poison I send Canopus to do something about it.

I think he misunderstood the phrase, "pump her full of lead."

Tactics Ogre posted:

LEADENED - Effect of gravity on unit is exaggerated. Leadened units may only jump up or down one space, severely restricting their movement on maps with a lot of elevation differences.

At the very least he did change her A.I.'s behavior.

With most of the enemies dead it's time for everyone to rush the last standing enemy.

In case it wasn't completely obvious yet, they were Walister all along. Walister fighting Walister, what is this world coming to.

Just like to point out the first person we killed in Balmamusa was a man named Abel and the last was named Kain. We went biblical on this town.

We're not finished yet folks.

Congratulations

And from out of nowhere.

The scene fades to black.

*cries*

A survivor desperately tries to wake up a loved one.

There was nothing we could do. Despite our best efforts the massacre was carried out. Denam gave up everything and this was all he was able to accomplish.

End of Chapter One

Next time: A modern history lesson.