Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Helmet 10 Warehouse
Jul 21, 2007

Update 15: Stone Cold Crazy

We're going to start this update by making some sense of the situation. So let's take out our handy dandy map.

Click here for larger image.

As you can see the Walister Resistance has been busy these past three months. They have taken control of most of Galganstan. On the map above the territory now belonging to the Walister is in purple. All of this land used to be in the hands of the Galgastani. Who have in turn been forced to retreat to their capital city of Coritanae and defend their leader Balbatos. While all of this was happening the Bakram, as per the agreement we made in update 9, have been silent and stayed out of the conflict.

As for Denam and the gang, they have a price on their heads. They now find themselves in the constant company of headhunters and would be heroes who are looking for fame, fortune, and honor. In an attempt clear our names and bring everything to right we are traveling to Tynemouth Hill (marked by the feather on the map) to meet with Lanselot Hamilton. If anyone can help us it would be him. However, to reach Lanselot we somehow have to make to the backlines of the Resistance army. It's not going to be easy and we have no idea what's waiting for us.

So, let's get moving.

Rhea Boum Aqueduct: This aqueduct was constructed in ancient times, thought now more cracks run through it than water. Some travelers use the dry passage as an alternative to walking the highroad.

Since we're wanted fugitives taking the open road would lead to us getting our heads removed. Instead we take the "sewers" because that is what fugitives do. Hopefully this doesn't lead to any desperate leaps of faith into a body of water.

Do you think the ancient architect who designed this place got any funny looks when he described it as being videogamey.

Not every day you chance on a mark worth 30,000 Goth!

Say what you will about Catiua she doesn't pull any punches. If she hates you, she will let you know.

Xapan's laughter fill the aqueduct.

Wa ha ha! A comely maid with a curdled tongue! I approve! Don't worry, little lass. You'll be spared. You alone. A man grows lonely so far from home, heh?

C'mon there is no need to be creepy now, Xapan.

I was going to complement his beard but not after that last remark.

I like that the little flag for the headhunters is Denam's wanted poster.

There is not a lot dry land on this map, so to move around we're going to do a lot of pillar hopping.

Also, it looks like Xapan brought a few new enemy types with him for this fight.

This nasty lookin' fellow is an Umbra.

They're another one of demi-human races in this game. Like all the other demi-humans they have a mix of the standard human and special class available to them. Stat-wise their similar to Lizardmen, like Buluru.

Next up we have the Terror Knight. They're a badass variation on the typical knight class who go around spreading fear to weaken their enemies.

But they can't take a hit as well as a standard knight.

Last up are these fuckers.

An Octopus like any beast can soak up a lot of damage and dish it out as well.

What really makes them annoying is this attack right here, Aqua Bubbles, which hits hard and has decent range.

And I know what you are thinking, "Helmet 10 Warehouse you need to drop what you're doing, immediately recruit two octopi and name them Cuthulu and Zoidberg." I would but you can't rename monsters in this game. Beside what would I do with only two octopi.

Despite their strength, lightning magic will tear through an octopus' HP pool.

It is always useful to have wizards take advantage of the Adverse status effect. Doomfunk learned the lightning magic skill before this fight because 50 SP is not that much at this point.

Cake Attack is once again here to do nothing and get some easy experience points and SP. It is the best way to level up a new class.

Staticpulse and the rest of the frontline try to encircle an enemy octopus to keep it out of the water. An octopus needs to be in water to use the Aqua Bubbles attack. So keeping them on dry land is the best way to deal with them.

Denam hops over to the Terror Knight

Even though the he is almost dead Denam targets the lizardman instead.

If he were to kill The Terror Knight now an enemy would come by and take his drop. Trust me I had to CHARIOT a few times to get my well deserved loot.

Conveniently on the Terror Knights next turn he suicides himself on Canopus's counterattack.

Octopi also have a skill called Black Mucus.

It inflicts the above status effects on any unit standing next to them.

Tactics Ogre posted:

FALSESTRIKE - Unit's accuracy with melee attacks is worsened.

An octopus sneaks up on doomfunk and flogs him in the back.

But he and the other wizard take it down.

To reach her target, Leal takes to the open water. Be able to swim allows her to use the water as a buffer against melee enemies and make attacks like the one above.

Against better judgment Cake Attack takes out her lobber.

And lobes a Mend Leaf to doomfunk.

Seeing an opening the octopus immediately strikes.

Ouch!

Staticpulse takes out one of the octopi.

Then, Xapan decides that jumping between two knights is a good idea.

He tries to attack Denam to no avail.

Finally, he just lets it all go.

Canopus and Xapan talk mercenary to headhunter.

You'll find more glory in battle than chasing after a pittance of bounty, no?

Glory in battle? Ha! There's no glory to be had there, not any more. Balmamusa made a cripple of Galgastan. She only has the one leg left, and that already in the grave.

Little profit to be had from laying siege to Coritanae, then?

Aye, That's the truth of it. Still profit in claming heads like yours, though.

Why did an octopus have a log?

Now trapped, Voltare and Denam don't go easy on Xapan.

They let him have it.

And Sara sends his HP into the red.

Feh. That was ill played. Pull back! These ones'll keep for later.

Catiua spent all fight coming up with that line.

Har! That mouth ne'er opens but a mealy nugget spills forth. I'd tarry longer just for that! But next time, fair lass. Next time.

Xapan teleports away.

Congratulations

But the aqueduct was not through with us yet.

Over the coming weeks Denam's cohort would find themselves fighting battle after battle.

They would face strange new enemies.

All while trying to traverse this watery maze.

Their skills would be put to the test.

Some used this as a chance to hone their skills.

Though others would be forever changed.

And began to seek out new, horrifying techniques.

But one thought diplomacy was the best course of action.

Leading to some interesting results.

In the end they emerged as a battle harden force ready for whatever awaits them.

Next time: We answer the question, "What has 76 appendages and a pair of wings?"