Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Inferior
Oct 19, 2012

CHAPTER 11: NO GUTS, NO GLORY

Previously posted:

The BLACK SUN are Coruscant's most ruthless criminal gang. Now, JOLUNE MOL'NEUX, must battle against them to recover the NOETIKON OF LIGHT, an artefact that holds the minds of some of the JEDI ORDER's wisest heroes, who may know a way to cure her dying Master...

: I hear blaster fire below...

: District belong to Black Sun now. Talk of Senate sealing off whole level.

: The scorched earth approach to crime-fighting... Let's land over there.

: Another new robe?

: Shopping helps me forget I've killed about 30 people since waking up this morning.

: Fighting help me forget killing, but usually end with more dead people. Is vicious circle.

: You thought I was dead! You thought wrong!

: You are the worthiest opponent I have yet faced. Truly, this shall be a battle for the...

: noooo

: That's the hydrosupply station. Didn't the Gree ask us to fix that place? At least, I think that's what they asked.

: Gree machine speak of Black Sun in area. Be watchful.

: The Black Sun have hydro engineers?! I think you guys are missing the point of a life of crime.

: Hey, I didn't choose the plumber life, the plumber life chose me.

: Tighten the flow valves to avoid “pressure-depth-explosion” aaaaand...

: ... input the Gree's “crafted solution” to reset the system. All don-

Children look weird in SWTOR, because their models use a shrunk version of the adult body, which means their proportions are all slightly off. Luckily we don't meet many of them.

: This is our hydrosupply, and we like it broken. Now get lost.

: What are you kids doing here?

: We live here. Who do you think you are, stomping in here like this? We need this water- we don't have any money, and there's nowhere else in the district to get water for free. We'll die if it gets shut off.

: What happened to your parents?

: They died in the war, all right? We're on our own now. Just leave us alone, this is the only place we've got and the only way for us to get by.

: Yeah, that'd be a start. It'll take a lot though. Are you gonna give us enough?

: This should take care of you and your friends. I'd only spend it on new robes anyway.

: Whoa! I've never seen that many credits before! We can trade for a long time with these. Thanks!

: Take care. Let's go, Qyzen.

Light side quest resolution there, dark siders can tell the kids to get lost.

: ...

: Something on your mind?

: Small child. Large sum of credits. Tough district. Bad idea. Will not help child for long.

: The credits aren't the point. People need hope, even if it's fleeting.

: He might be killed for his hope.

: ...

: There's the Silent Sun cantina Pharen mentioned. Hopefully the Noetikon's still inside.

: Classy. Let's check out the back rooms.

: What's going on here?

: I'm trying to save his life. Those Black Sun thugs, they call me in to clean up a botched operation, and I find this!

: I want the word to go out. The Black Sun stop this, or the Jedi will stop them. Was that a good threat? I haven't threatened any gangsters before.

: It ok. 7/10.

: I think they got the message when their smugglers started dying.

: A Justicar... those vigilantes from the lower city. One of them paid big to get this stuff offworld quiet like- especially some “Noetikon”. The Justicar's name... he was... Lars something. Lars Baddeg.

: Lars Baddeg gave the Gand another Noetikon to keep safe. He must be behind all this. Baddeg by name, Baddeg by nature!

: Those smugglers are dying, Jedi. I need that contraband out of them, but I have my hands full here. Can you help?

: I've got a soft spot for smugglers. Just tell me what I need to do.

: The object I found in this man had a magnetic ID tag, which means that the Black Sun must have scanners to identify their smugglers. You should find one in the other room. And grab some medical suppliers- maybe we can help keep these men alive.

SOME THRILLING SCANNING ACTION LATER...

: Hmm, scanner says this might be our guy.

: I need to remove the thing inside of you. It's going to make you sick. Time to put these healing skills to the test.

: Going to? I've already got worse pains in my gut than a starving rancor.

: I'll try not to hurt you. It's my first time too... wait, this conversation is going wrong.

: I will help with surgery. Have gutted much prey before. All mammal anatomy similar.

: I... uh... are you going to take off your shades before you operate?

: These aren't sunglasses. I'm blind.

: Oh... Wait, what!?

: Anaesthetic time!

: *squish* And I thought he smelled bad on the outside...

: Lift and separate small intestine curls. Slowly pull Noetikon towards you. Keep stomach bag supported with other hand, to prevent tearing.

: *squish squish* Urrgh... it all just keeps sliding around... I'm never going to be able to eat sausages again.

AND SO...

: Truly? Have known that pain; is kindness you do, Herald.

: Thanks. I owe you one, Jedi.

: No problem. But you should probably go to a proper hospital soon.

: Qyzen, I think I left my watch inside him.

: Best not mention it. Only cause worry.

The three inhabitants of the Noetikon of Light are Master Noab Hulis, Master Nomi Da'Boda and Master Wole Vahn. Of the three Nomi Da'Boda is probably the most interesting- she was a big hero of the Tales of the Jedi comic series, was head of the Jedi Order following the Great Sith War and has been referenced throughout the Star Wars Expanded Universe since. She used to be called Nomi Sunrider but mysterious copyright complications led to the name change. Of the others: Noab Hulis was mentioned once as being a Jedi Master in the Tales of the Jedi companion book, and Wole Vahn is a new character.

: The wise woman always seeks knowledge, for she knows that she knows nothing. Welcome, Jedi. It is wonderful to see a face so young pursuing knowledge of the light. You honor us.

: My master, Yuon Par, is very sick. I'm looking for a way to help her.

: How terrible that your occasion for consulting us is so tragic.

: Tell us what you know of this affliction, and we will scour our combined knowledge for an answer...

ANOTHER BRIEF RECAP OF THE PLOT LATER...

: And very troubling.

: We've searched our considerable knowledge, and compared data from the Noetikon of Science.

: The illness you've described- it's more like a kind of mind control.

: There must be more to it than that.

: Our understanding of the matter is limited. We truly wish we could be of more help.

: If someone is doing this to her, how would we locate them?

: Well, you could ask...

: No! Nomi! You can't be serious!

: What is the matter, Master Wole? I think Nomi Da'Boda knows best of all of us.

: I don't dispute her wisdom, but the Noetikon of Secrets is the gateway to dark things. If the mind is not properly prepared to face them-

: The Noetikon of Secrets is not dark, though some of its secrets are.

: Before you go- I couldn't help but notice that we are not in the Jedi Temple anymore, but rather a seedy cantina backroom. How did we get here?

: You don't want to know. You really, really don't.

: Why am I ticking?

NEXT TIME: A toilet cleaner gets sarcastic, and Jolune gets in a fight with an old woman.

BONUS CODEX CONTENT:

Black Sun posted:

Black Sun is a powerful crime syndicate that rose to prominence on Coruscant in the latter days of the war. Taking advantage of the chaos and rioting in the city after the planet’s sacking, several gangsters joined forces and began seizing control of lower-city neighborhoods. The origin of the syndicate’s name is unclear, but a common phrase among despairing Coruscant citizens was “better a black sun than none.” Alas, hopes that Black Sun would bring order instead of anarchy died quickly. For Black Sun, the rioting and looting never really stopped. Although the gangsters have profitable spice- and weapons-trafficking operations, their members, almost to a man, have an extraordinary taste for violence. Civilians are extorted until they have nothing left to extort; afterwards, they’re used for target practice. City blocks are incinerated for the pleasure of demolitionists. Despite the efforts of the Justicars’ Brigade, Black Sun has become a force to be reckoned with. The Republic Senate has begun to realize the threat Black Sun represents, but with the syndicate’s influence already beginning to stretch beyond Coruscant, stopping it may be impossible.

Inferior fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Oct 12, 2013