Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Helmet 10 Warehouse
Jul 21, 2007

Update 22: Lily Of The Valley

Hello, everyone. Last time we took back a boat form some pirates and saved a wizard. Then, after some more debate we decided to help rescue Cistina. Who we also just learned was take by the pirates back to their base.

I did some grinding to get our newer class up to a usable level. Also during this time we got some katanas for Denam and Prowler. Katanas are not available in stores this early in the game so we had to get them the only other way we know how. By looting the corpses of our victims. A tried and true method.

When we were out hunting a few of the Goons ranked up their weapons skills and learned their first Finishing Moves.

Also, we recruit a dragon. The first of many, we will need them for a side quest. Well... parts of them, actually. We will need parts of them for a side quest. Maybe we can find someone to buy the rest.

Ndamsa Fortress: The ancient ruins of a mighty fortress, constructed to defend the island of Deknigos from invasion.

Now off to Ndamsa Fortress to help Cistina, again.

After a little set back we make it.

If you read Darza's Warren Report entry posted in the last update you would have learned the he once raided a ship and took a runaway noble as prisoner. The two would eventually fall in love and get married. That's right we're in one of those trashy romance novels middle-aged women read, and we just got done killing Fabio.

A likely tale, but Darza took no fool for his wife. You'll not have her back so easy as that!

Yes, we're doing this.

During our travels at sea it seems we picked up a stranger clad in golden, wing-tipped armor. He claims to be a doctor, and when pressed further he said his field of practice is draconology. Also, that his thesis was on the effect of crossbow blots on dragons: his conclusion, they die.

However, there aren't any dragons present so he is a little out of his element.

It's been awhile since we had a chat about battle tactics, so let's do that. Above we have a map of the battlefield (taken during more pleasant weather conditions) labelled with some arrows and numbers. Let's start with the numbers:
  • 1. Is our starting position.
  • 2. Is a choke point we will inevitably find ourselves in.
  • 3. Is the staring position of our target, the recently widowed Veldrei.
The arrows mark the paths we can take to ascend this fortress. Keep in mind that we have 13 units on the field (3 of them are guests), and there is not a lot of room to maneuver around in on the this battlefield. That's where the multiple paths come in. If we separate and coordinate our movement we can stay on the move and not get stuck in the hypothetical doorway. As for the arrows themselves:
  • The red and yellow arrows are our two starting paths. One group will follow the yellow path and a second group will take the red. The red path has a smaller slope so if you have any units that are terrible at jumping (read: wizards) have them take this path.
  • Both group will meet up at point 2 for which they will take one of the three green paths to continue their accent.
  • If our target does not leave her perch at the top, we will take one of the blue paths to reach her.
Hopefully this plan will provide enough room for everyone to adequately maneuver.

Prowler and our faster units will take the yellow path on the left.

While, Voltare will lead the rest of our forces up the red path.

Our first obstacle will be the two gryphons.

But for some reason they both go after Voltare.

Which is good for us.

As it will let our faster units safely out flank them.

On cue, Cake Attack circles around one of the gryphons,

...and crits its rear end. Did I mention that since they are at decent level Cake Attack and Prowler are now two of our highest damage dealers.

Prowler jumps up to the front and engages the enemy. His double attack skill lets him attack with both of his equipped weapons.

He crits, too. Knocking back the enemy.

Which is unfortunate because that leaves his second attack swing at the air.

Denam also gets in on knocking around the enemy.

It's hard to see because of all this rain but the enemy tries to counter using his bullwhip.

Veldrei, for her part, shows she is in fact no fool as she stays at the top of the fortress surrounded by archers and magic users.

They rain down artillery fire on the Pavel siblings to protect their de-facto leader.

We can't just stand here and let them snipe us from the top of the fortress.

Our only choice is to bring the fight to them.

The surviving gryphon sneaks behind to use its breath attack.

But we're going to ignore him for the time being.

Because right now it's time for Cake Attack to demonstrate her awesome new skill, Speedstar.

Self quicken for only 30 TP, nice.

Cake attack uses this skill three time in this fight just because she can.

With her new found speed she rushes to the front lays her dagger into the enemy Terror Knight.

We have made it to the point 2, so we have to split up our forces and have everyone follow one of the green paths to the top. However, this Terror Knight and his Rampart Aura are blocking two of the easier paths. For the time being, with our paths forward blocked off, we are at the mercy of the enemy's suppressing fire.

Our own artillery gets in on the action and tries to end this stalemate.

Doomfunk lights up the Terror Knight that is blocking the path.

Next, Catiua makes an archer see the light.

Finally, Bayin says it's lights out of the last gryphon. Also, check out all those stats aliments on that gryphon.

Even still the enemy isn't letting up with their barrage.

Prowler takes refuge for the their constant battery by hiding in a corner. The ninja way.

Dr. Reynolds pops up to kill the umbra.

It kind of looks like a tiny dragon, so he had to kill it. It's his life's purpose.

An enemy archer drops down from her sniping postion.

Then, she pulls out a cartoon bomb? Alright that's a new one.

:wtf: Where did she get that!?

On the plus side at least she hit herself with the bomb.

But on the downside this leaves the Doc in a critical state, and he is easily picked off by artillery fire.

Click here for video of Denam's glorious dance.

This dance heals all allies in the area around the performer. It's not much but anything would help after that surprise detonation.

Voltare and his awesome new 2-handed hammer smash the path open.

He puts up his defenses and stares the enemy down.

Before we make our final charge there is one piece of unfinished business to attend to.

We have to get rid of that archer before she pulls anything else out of her bag of tricks.

For his efforts Stacicpulse is rewarded with a greater understanding of how to kill things with his trusty zweihander.

Also, Catiua takes care of that archer who has been harassing her.

Prowler head off down the left most path in an attempt to sneak around the fortress remaining artillery.

In the process he takes this guy down in one turn.

In retrospect he could have just charged strait in because that enchantress doesn't seem to be the brightest.

Not that she has much left to contribute after taking that hit.

But I'm not bested yet. I'll have my revenge. For Darza, and for the child I carry!

Velderi isn't going down without a fight, and to be honest part of me kind of hope she wins.

Nevertheless, once we finish off the last off her allies there is nothing left to do put deal with her.

Voltare, ever the gallant knight, takes it upon himself to do the dirty deed.

I have nothing to say :(

Congratulations

We reach the point where we are getting a lot after each battle, so from now on I will on post this if we get something interesting.

You know what, this is not the time to be depressed. Let's focus on the good we did today. We saved a Cistina and the seagulls are no longer see-through. Turns out the transparence problem was on my end. :ms:

I feared I'd never see you again. Thank the light you're alive.

I rejoice to see you. You and Bayin both.

Awkward...

Yes. Yes, of course. Best if we reach the deep while we still have some light.

Before we make for Rhime, perhaps you might accompany us to Boed Fortress.

Boed, did you say? It's more ruin than fortress. Why go there?

Run-down it may be, but Boed is an essential fastness. Our leader, Cerya, commands from there.

And you would have us meet her, the leader of your Liberation Front? Why?

This whole conversation is giving me some strange deja-vu. Have we heard all this before?

Best get aboard. We sail.

:confuoot:

Next Time: We set sail, for plot! After one quick detour.

Warren Report

Veldrei :(