Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Helmet 10 Warehouse
Jul 21, 2007

Update 23: Bonus Material

Hey, everyone. As I was working on the next updates it dawned on me I forgot about the extra scenes for the last update.

Up first, we have the choice no one ever makes.

It would be a waste of time to go through all the trouble of saving her just to be a jerk and end up with nothing.

Was it not ideals that turned you against the duke's massacre?

Even this Denam knows he made the wrong choice.

Are you so weary of flight from headhunters that you've let slip your convictions?

:(

Denam and Catiua walk off never to see Cistina again.

Next up we have the scene you get if you do any of the following:
  • Let Cistina die when you first meet her. I don't think any of the dialog choices affect recruiting her.)
  • Don't save Bayin during the battle with the pirate Darza.
  • Save Bayin but refuse to go save Cistina form that fortress with a hard name to say.

Answer well, else it's my bow you'll quarrel with!

In the version of events Folcurt plays the same role that Cistina did.

It's me, Folcurt. Unbend your bow!

Folcurt? It is you! I'd feared the worst. Chief's been worried, too. Well, come on up.

Come on, let's get inside.

Inside we find the same people, and no, Cerya doesn't ask about her sister.

Might as well tell every crier and herald from here to Almorica where we hide! So tell me, why have you returned?

Silly, Folcurt. You weren't taken captive by pirates. Everyone you knew was taken by the pirates, but you were ran away and found by Vyce's men.

The rest of the scene plays out the same as before, but I left it in for posterity.

Understandable, then. But why have you returned?

To stop you from enacting this plan, commander.

A tale long since grown stale in the telling. Squabble all you please, it changes nothing. You left with those who shared your doubts, did you not? I do not oblige anyone to take part against his will, else I would not have let you go.

Take part in what? What plans?

It's no concern of yours. I would thank you to remain silent.

They mean to assassinate Duke Ronwey.

Silence!

Assassinating a single man, even the duke, will not end this struggle. With no one to tend the Walister rudder, the Bakram will sense opportunity. It will be all-out war.

That is our purpose. Balbatos and the Galgastani now teeter on the brink. If the Walister are allowed to deliver the finishing blow, they will control half of Valeria. The Bakram and Walister armies would then be evenly matched - they would break themselves one against the other. But Brantyn and Ronwey are no fools. They would forge a truce, and all would be as it is now! However, if the duke is dead, a very different story unfolds. The Bakram would at last invade. And when Brantyn declares himself Hegemon over all Valeria, then...then we assassinate him as well. This isle will be ours!

Hearing Cerya's crazy plan for a second time is giving me a strange sense of deja-vu. Kill a major player to force a war between the remaining factions, I wonder if we heard something like this before...

Update 1 posted:

Lanselot is Captain of the Dark Knights, and they are the source of Bakram power. Kill Lanselot, and you remove one of the pillars supporting them. The Bakram will falter, if only for a moment. Yet that moment will be all the encouragement the Galgastani require. They want Valeria for their own, and they will move to take it.

Are we sure Cerya isn't Vyce wearing a wig.

A great many ifs and whens.

No more than we require. You've heard our plan. Why not join us? Fight at our side? You can run, let the duke hunt you, or...you can become the hunter. Help us cast down the duke, cast down the Dark Knights, and restore peace to this land.

War's horrors are visited not on us, but upon the smallfolk. I want no part in a kingdom built on the bones of children!

Catch your breath soldier, and we'll hear your news.

Coritanae is fallen! The Walister forces have broken the Galgastani!

What's this!?

More, Heirophant Balbatos was taken captive and put to the sword this morn.

This changes nothing. Have the men prepare. The messenger is welcome to stay...and rest.

Yes ma'am.

Turns out Folcurt is also one of those idealistic types.

What means are left us now that Coritanae has fallen? We must move swiftly, before the duke rallies the Galgastani remnants to his flag. If there were another way, its time has passed, Folcurt.

No, you are wrong. You are wrong!

Just like Cistina, Flocurt runs out of the room.

We join Folcurt outside in the same place as Cistina, but try as I may my computer refused to record this scene. That means I don't have any screen shots of this conversation. However, with the aid of Gamefaqs, I at least have the dialog for you to enjoy.

I've never seen her so hellbound.

What will you do?

No point in rotting away here. I suppose I shall gather a band and venture forth again, in time.

Why not join us?

Aye? I'm Bakram, if you haven't forgotten.

At this point we get a choice between saying, "We have no quarrel with you," or "The Bakram are not our enemy." The first option leads to everyone going their separate ways while the seconds recruits Folcurt into the order.

First choice.

Our fight is not with you, sir.

There are others who will not see it so, though I thank you for your offer.

I see. May the Wheel turn for you, then.

And for you, Denam. I will listen for word of your exploits in days to come.

Second choice.

I bear no enmity for the Bakram. Only for those who would drive our clansmen toward chaos.

Perhaps together we can guide our people true.

After either choice the scene ends.

Since all of that was a little short, let's talk about what makes Cistina and the other named characters worth recruiting.

Above we have a side by side comparison of Leal and Cistina. Both characters are the same class (and the same level, but that can go without saying), have the same equipment, and have no skills equipped. The only difference between them is their base stats.

As you can see Cistina outshines Leal by a mile in every category but dexterity. To put these numbers into perspective, Cistina is tied for fourth place in melee attack and the Valkyrie class isn't known for its damage output. Leal is barely in sixth place for comparison. Even more shockingly Cistina is second in both physical and magical defense. Beating both Staticpulse and Voltare, and Folcurt is only ahead of her by 4 points in physical defense. Yet, The area where she truly shines is RT. She is currently in a three way tie for lowest RT, or in other words fastest character, with Arycelle (another named character) and Prowler (a goddamn ninja). This trend continues for every named character, except for one. There is one named person out who is slow than a generic unit.

On top of all this some named characters also have access to special classes, but we don't have the classmarks for any of those right now. So talking about that will have to wait.