Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Helmet 10 Warehouse
Jul 21, 2007

Update 31: Good Old-Fashioned Lover Boy

Last time we traveled down the only road to Brigantys Castle and ran into a couple of necromancer doing wicked things to passersby. As it luck would have it the necromancers turned out to be the mother and sister of Moldova, the necromancer we kill back in chapter 1. During the course of battle we killed the mother but her daughter Cressida escaped before the battle began.

Bahanna Highland: Jineh trees grow on the gentle slopes of these snow-covered plains.

This time we're going to check off the last hot spot between us and Brigantys Castle.

Welcome to the first snow map. I always like snow levels, outside of platformers anyway.

This would make a foul place for battle. Let's on to Brigantys.

Apparently not everyone agrees with Denam on the state of the battlefield.

She profaned the dead. I'll not mourn her passing. Yield now, or rejoin her in the ever-world.

A knight walks in from off screen and greets Cressida.

He sees much that escapes the ken of lesser men.

But Sir Xaebos would never consent to divide his forces, few as they are.

The high commander turned a blind eye when I made from the castle.

Thank you, Hektor.

There is no fiercer guardian of this place than your mother. Her absence is a warning.

This was their work.

Then we have all suffered a dire loss. Cressida, you should hurry to Brigantys. Let me deal with these dogs!

Rubbish. We fight them together! They've claimed my sister's life, and now my mother's. I owe them dear!

Please, Cressida! Master Nybeth ordered me to see you returned safe to the castle. Go. for me, if not for him. After all we've lost, to lose you is more than I could bear!

I'll not go! Not for you, or my father, or anyone!

We are beaten. The high commander would never say as much, but the people of Galgastan are no longer with us. Master Nybeth is not one to deny hard truths. He sees reality, and so he fears for your safety. I am a knight. I swore an oath to Galgastan... and your sister. I vowed to stand by them in life, and in death. I beg you, save yourself. You must understand. Without you, who would there be to remember Moldova and me as we were?

Once again, Cressida leaves on the request of a loved one.

Every time someone says "Denam of Golyat," I miss read it as "Demon of Golyat." It usually fits.

Hektor's left flank is going to be our most immediate concern. He's got himself a couple of frost dragons and gryphon. The rest of his group is made up of long range types and a pair of clerics.

The plan for this one is to move everyone forward while having Denam and Voltare take a side path. It's not much of a plan but if it works, it works.

Our first target is the gryphon.

*clink*

Since the gryphon can fly we want to get rid of it before it can swoop in and start causing problems.

Like so, but since it's already here let's have the slower units deal with it.

From his corner, Hektor continues to put voice to his anger.

I thank the Father for bringing you before me this day, Denam of Golyat! On the souls of my destined wife and her mother, I swear you will not live to see another dawn!

Ignoring the gryphon, Arycelle takes on the so-called dragoon. I mean a dragoon who surrounds himself with dragons, that's not right.

However, the clerics quickly undo the damage. They're too high up to reach with arrows, so we are going to have to live with them for the time being.

Between updates I did a little grinding, so now that doomfunk is almost caught up in levels he can actually participate in the fight.

Doomfunk wasn't the only one level grinding, Buluru is back as a Juggernaut. His new class is all about that sweet, sweet movement radius. He can cover a lot of ground and with a spear he can extend his reach even further.

But for now he's just going to fall back and finish off the gryphon. In this case rushing to far forward would just make him an easy target.

Speaking of targets, Hektor moves into our sights. He also tops off that dragoon while he's at it.

But a 1-2-3 punch from our bow users makes it a wasted effort.

Voltare hoops in from the other side of the river.

And rolls out the old welcoming hammer.

Cake Attack tries to pin Hektor into a corner.

However, he counters and pushes Cake Attack back.

Then, the two clerics heal him back up to full. He might be exposed but with the clerics backing him up, his knightly defenses, and a high dodge rate, his position is secure. All this means we have to get rid of those clerics before we can focus our undivided attention on Hektor.

Naturally, as team leader, the job falls to Denam, and while he is busy with that it will be up to everyone else to deal with Hektor and his support. Namely those two dragons.

Thanks to that gryphon attacking him earilier, Doctor Reynolds has enough TP to go all Dragonslayer. Unfortunately, the gryphon itself died before the Doc could demonstrate his new Beastslayer ability. Not that it needs much demonstration.

Doctor Reynolds is good at what he does.

On his next turn, Hektor tries to cut his way out of the dog pile.

With that option a no go he sets himself up for the long haul.

On the other side of the battlefield, Denam's assault isn't getting off to a good start. That wizard is going to be constantly throwing nasty words at Denam for the rest of this fight.

Canopus flies over the dragons to give him a hand.

But gets body slammed by one of the dragons in the process.

The other dragon uses it Icy Resonance ability to give itself Ice-touched and make Leal take more damage for ice elemental attacks. All in all it's not a very useful ability, but it looks cool.

Buluru then moves to finish off the icy dragon by attacking through Voltare. He blocks the spear with his shield but the dragon still dies. Which when you think about it makes no sense whatsoever.

The good doctor continues firing off his dragon slaying crossbow bolts.

After making it up the hill, Denam is immediately intercepted by a terror knight.

Cake Attack peers over from the other side and sees her chance.

She crits on a sneak attack to do all sorts of crazy high damage. One shooting the terror knight in the process.

After what seemed like an eternity, Hektor finally gets another turn. He takes advantage of our none existent defensive live to strike at the exposed doomfunk.

Hektor was phalanx'd up for so long that the blizzard turned from bad to worse. Also that dragon really hates Canopus, but luckily Cake Attack had enough turns to heal Canopus and kill a terror knight before Hektor moved once. The turn order turn order for those three was going: Cake Attack, Hektor, Dragon, Cake Attack, Cake Attack, Hektor, Dragon.

Canopus's attack form earlier was enough to get one of the clerics running scared.

Too bad for her she ran right into Denam's path.

One last bolt and the second dragon bites the big one.

With most of Hektor's support gone we begin our final push, but it's not going to be easy.

Hektor unleashes a two-pronged finishing move on the Doc, but he misses with the first swing.

You are a ferocious warrior, Denam. Though you be my foe, I'll not deny you that. The blood of innocents stains your name, your kinsmen hunt you, and still your blade does not waver. My father, Briam, had the right of it when he said you would not meet your end here.

I want no praise from a creature of Balbatos.

Fair enough. Only think not that all of Galgastan's Knights gloried in doing as we were bid. Duty, honor, loyalty... a knight is nothing without these. I could not break the oath I swore to Galgastan.

Then cast down your sword and surrender! It's Xaebos we're after!

No matter how futile my struggle, I'll never surrender. I will not break the vows I swore to my kingdom and my beloved! Fate ordained our meeting. To do less than fight to the end is to dishonor those who've fallen!

You're as stubborn as you are loyal. Are you so eager to join Moldova and Cassandra in death? There is a future for Valeria - for Galgastan - if only you had eyes to see it!

I do as my liege lord bids. Such is the warrior's lot.

Then this frozen plain will be your grave!

Denam drops the last cleric. There's no chance of a turnaround for the enemy, now.

Despite this futile situation, they still carry on with the struggle.

Even as Voltare lets the Tyrant's Mace fall on Hektor.

Now, with victory in her sights, Arycelle readies her bow.

Her target has no chance. The odds are against him.

But he finds a way* to hold on.

Nevertheless, fate still catches up to him.

I beg one kindness only. Cressida... my beloved's sister. Take pity on her. Ah... Moldova. I... I return to your side.

Farewell, Hektor. Maybe the fates will let us honor your final wish.

Congratulations

Meanwhile...

After some establishing shots.

We find ourselves on the opposite end of Valeria.

Then Ronwey will have no choice but to dispatch his own men to assault the castle. He'll send Sir Leonar - none other can take the field against the hero of Golyat.

A keen insight, my lord.

At once, my lord.

I trust you've not forgotten your arrangement with the high champion?

An arrangement with certain obligations. I must ask that you refrain from making any... rash moves.

It seems like Brantyn has some pent up anger.

As I recall, you are obliged to grant me whatever aid I require to wrest control of these isles. Yet here I sit, waiting, while you lecture me about my obligations!?

Stay your anger, lord regent. I meant only to suggest that provoking Almorica might not be the wisest course. Have patience. You'll see.

You there, go. See that my orders are carried out!

Yes, my lord.

Your eminence would make enemies of us.

A messenger? He can't mean...

A messenger? Here?

Yep, it's Vyce.

He's here with his attitude in tow.

Why do you hesitate? Swords!

The terror knight quickly move in to surround Vyce.

As much as I like to poo poo on Vyce, you have to admit he's on top of his game for this scene.

Bold, for one so young. Very well, let's have it.

The knights back away.

You're from Almorica? Who are you?

An upstanding member of the Resistance, naturally. My lord, I don't suppose you'd send away the old man, would you? Delicate business, this.

Brantyn just laughs and laughs.

Go on. Leave us, Volaq. This is not for Lodissian ears.

The Dark Knight Volaq leaves the room.

You may speak.

*fade to black*

Next time: We're going to attack Brigantys Castle, but there is a twist!

We have the option of choosing from which direction we begin the our attack. Both options lead to a different fight and I'm only going to show one of them. Which one is up to all of you. :siren:Vote for either the West Wall or the South Wall.:siren:

Warren Report

Hektor Didarro
Volaq Windsalf <-- You might remember him as Paul Kersey in the Death Wish movies and as Admiral Merkatz in Legend of the Galactic Heroes.

Footnotes

* The Deflect skill, like its melee equivalent Parry, is a passive ability that if it activates will always block any ranged attack regardless of hit percentages. Deflect does the same but to melee attacks. It is not factored into the overall hit percentage and is activation is a random chance based on the skills rank. The nice thing about that is the skill gets points when the unit is attack and not, as one might expect, when the skill activates. So for example, every time Hektor was attack by an archer in this battle his Deflect skill got a few points towards the next rank. The real confusing thing is the game will proclaim "Parry" when either skill is activated.

Helmet 10 Warehouse fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Oct 11, 2013