Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Snugglecakes
Dec 29, 2008

:h: :glomp: :h:

Update 27: loving Trolls.

Last time...

"Trolls."

Taking the northern route means that we are skirting along the northlands. This means that trolls are present. They are a real bitch to fight. Unless you have possession of a certain item, or are lucky enough to have Owyn pop off a few defensive spells, they can ruin your day really fast. Fun fact, Owyn's Skyfire spell doesn't work on them because they don't carry metal.

And I can't even get the jump on them. :shepicide:

Oh, only three? That's not so bad. I mean, hey, if I can take out groups of 5+ Moredhel, Rogues, and insane Pirates, surely I can deal with three trolls, right? RIGHT?

"You can. And don't call me Shirley."

I've been having all three focus on that one troll. Everybody takes a pounding from the trolls. They hit hard. Even Gorath runs out of stamina and is now rapidly losing health.

Finally we are able to take one of them down. Two more to deal with...

Unfortunately, one of them has been chasing poor Owyn around who is about to collapse from his wounds. Hang in there, little buddy! :ohdear:

But Owyn promptly keels over. Farewell brave hero!

"Tell my wife... I said hello..." :gibs:

Gorath and James are able to hurt the second troll enough for it to run away, but the third and final one bitch slaps Gorath who collapses.

"This is the big one! I'm coming Elizabeth!" :gibs:

And so it is down to just James and the Troll. Three guesses as to how the fight ends.

Yeah, we're dead.

"I am dying: it's a beautiful word. Like the long slow sigh of a cello: dying. But the sound of it is the only beautiful thing about it." :gibs:

In that fight I just straight out fought the trolls. They engaged before I could have Owyn fire off any spells. Now, there were a number of ways I could have prepared our heroes to better fight them. I could have perhaps used our magical horn to summon up some allies to help out (and be targets for the trolls), or using the blinding powder to freeze one (or all) of the trolls in their place. I also could have magically enhanced our weapons or armor to give it an extra kick.

But really, the secret to handling trolls is this...

The humble tuning fork.

The hint is in the description. The ringing noise it makes is already dreadful for humans, just imagine how it would be on animals or perhaps more beastly humanoids, like trolls?

Use it in battle. It makes a 'ting' noise and all the trolls will run away from you.

I'm not sure if there is a more blatant hint elsewhere in the game, or if a NPC outright tells us that using a tuning fork will make trolls run away. Doesn't matter though, means that the fight is over and I don't have to deal with that bullshit. :)

Just as well. Trolls don't carry anything on their corpses, so it is not like I'm missing out on items or gold.

This doesn't make any sense, since I just had our guys stand there and do nothing, but sure, I'll take it.

We push on past where the trolls were stationed and head into the village of Eldpoint.

Squire James is clearly not a visionary. :colbert:

We knock on a few other doors while we are in town.

Not a whole lot of information, and the boxes that the woman reference don't hold much of value. However, if you continue to poke around the area, you can discover a few puzzle locks.

Also a trap.

This one is a bit more complicated than previous ones. Let's actually solve it properly this time.

James first moves in front of Owyn, pushing the transparent crystal diagonally, which triggers a fireball trap. The fireball takes out the green telsa coils.

Owyn pulls a similar move, pushing the other crystal diagonally as to trigger the other fireball trap, that takes out the red tesla coils.

From there, he can just walk on through without any problems.

Three puzzle boxes, three riddles!

"Like dogs shouting at the moon, or armor worn by the trees. Like a sharply spoken command, or a tiny vessel upon the seas."

E O E N
G R A M
B L L K
S A R B

Nothing special inside this box though. A set of blessed kingdom armor, some silver, and a broadsword. :geno:

""You can see it in winter, never in summer. Even though it is as light as a feather, the mightiest moredhel in the North can't hold it for long."

T H T H C S
P I S R F E
B L E A N H
A R O L T G

This box holds two sets of kingdom armor of low quality and, two broadswords.

Final puzzle for this update.

"Every creature in the world has seen it. But to their dying day they'll never see the same one again."

T O L I E L I O E
Y H O R N R P T S
S E T T H T D R Y
P R S E L E T A D

This box actually has something worth screenshotting. The goblin sticker will net more money then a broadsword, and magical powders and emeralds always come in handy.

Pushing on ahead, more trolls!

Hahah, yeahhh. gently caress that. Going to use my tuning fork again. :byewhore:

While Northwarden is on our list of places to visit, we want to go to Highcastle first.

But we'll do that next time.