Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Helmet 10 Warehouse
Jul 21, 2007

Update 32: Long Away

Hey, everybody. Last time we made our way through the Bahanna Highlands on our way to Brigantys Castle. While we were in the highlands we ran into Cressiada, again. Before the fight began her dead sister's fiancé Hektor came to her aid. In the end we fought and killed him in her place, as she retreated to the castle.

Brigantys Castle: Seated on the hightundra of the Brigania Flats, Brigantys Castle is snowbound throughout the year.

Now then, it looks like we finally made it to Brigantys Castle.

Brigantys West Curtain Wall: The western side of the castle, facing the Holboss. Part of the wall was damaged during the war.

To get into the castle proper we have to get past one of the walls first. As the vote decided we will be attacking from the west.

I could care less about the hierophant's honor, but you'll pay for Gildora!

It seems that are past is catching up to us, once again. Also, apparently Gildora had a thing for dudes with wings.

As you can see above the battle field is cut in two by a rather large river. It separates us (at point 1) from our target (at point 2) and his army. To make matters worse, the only suitable cross points are on the edges of the map (mark by the green arrows). So in this fight, class that can swim (such as Valkyries and Juggernauts) and aquatic monsters will be your best friend. You can also teach your units the Wade skill if you have the SP to spare. Even with the Wade skill going through the water will be a slow process because just being water cause a movement penalty. Then, once you make it to the other side you will encounter the target and the bulk of his forces at point 3. The game takes some pity on you by giving the target wings so you don't have to climb the wall to get to him.

But I'm not really in the mood to deal with all this so we're just going to stay put. You see all that flat land around point 1. Most of our units are going to spend the entire fight there. Really, they're only here because the game said we could use 12 units, so we're going to use 12 units. We will send some of our forces into the water and surrounding area to act as a forward line, but that's it.

As part of the plan two of the surviving octopi will act as meat shields.

Our long range-types will provide them some support and pick off the enemy as they approach.

Voltare moves into position to protect our right flank.

Stactipulse does the same for our left.

With that little bit of prep done all that's left to do is sit back and let the enemy come to us.

Hopefully, since Orgeau can fly this won't take too long. Hopefully.

After a few turns the interspecies fighting begins.

Our two level nine octopi are completely outmatched. Since monsters can't equip anything but accessories all their stats gains come from leveling up, so being four levels behind is just too much for them to overcome.

As this goes on Orgeau draws slightly closer.

Two of the enemy Juggernauts will be able to reach us on their next turn, so we have that to look forward to.

One of our octopi, Pelias, entertains the idea of attacking but since it can't even beat the enemy's counter damage, it just sits out this turn.

To release some of the pressure on our under leveled cephalopods Staticpulse does a little dark magic for us.

Buluru is going to swim around to attack the one awake octopus.

Yes, he is hooping in and out of the water as he moves. Why, you ask? Because video games are perfect simulations of real life.

The real reason is by jumping he can mechanically get around the in water movement penalty a little bit and move one space further.

Now that the enemy is surrounded, Pelias is feeling brave enough to attack. What's the worst that could happen.

That, I guess.

A Juggernaut and insult to injury.

Fortunately, Voltare has things covered. He's not going to let that octopi see another turn.

Even getting attack from behind isn't going to stop him.

But while his back is turned, Canopus scores the kill.

Apparently all this was enough to make Orgeau fly to the hills.

As he retreats his army still presses onward.

Just in time to watch as that octopus wakes up.

It makes a b-line for the shore and give Sara a nasty flogging. Now that it's on land it's at least going to give our melee units something to do.

But even after a solid turn of laying into it the thing won't go down.

Which is bad because on its next turn it heads back into the water and does this...

Ouch. Just another reason to hate octopus. Note: Don't hate real octopus, they're cool and clever.

While all that has happening, our octopi were moving forward into enemy territory.

They're here to try and lure out Orgeau.

Of course Orgeau wasn't the only one to take the bait.

After getting Orgeau's attention they fall back.

As Denam kills that poisonous octopi.

To our left an Archer has managed to get the drop on us.

Back were the action is Orgeau has take the bait and now he's even attacking someone we care about.

But he's not doing a good job of it.

Buluru hoops over and gets the first hit in on our target.

And he's rewarded with a greater understanding of how spears work. Not bad for someone who only picked up the weapon one update ago. Hooray for off screen grinding!

It's not all good though. As we get our first taste of why standing around and waiting for the enemy is a pretty poor strategy.

It has to do with TP. Look at the above screenshots, both Phelias and Orgeau have over 100 TP, and they're not the only ones.

Right now everyone and their brother has enough TP to use a finishing move.

Okay, that last one was one of ours, but the point still stands. Dragging a battle out for too long will only strengthen the enemy.

With the target's HP below 50% it's time for Canopus to get chatty.

Not much profit in taking orders from a dead man. Surrender!

You're a mercenary from the continent yourself, no? Surely you understand. If i were to change employers at the first sign of trouble, I'd be out of work. Trust's a stronger coin than Goth.

Now that he mentions it, are we paying Canopus? The game hasn't said either way. He is a mercenary but he joined us on his own accord.

With one last Dark Weight this one's finished.

Congratulations

Inside the Castle.

Let us see this through to its end - our end, if need be! What is our purpose if not this?

Nybeth shakes his head.

Hierophant Balbatos gone and the young lord of Coritanae in their hands, the kingdom will never again rise.

The very man who assaults this castle is their murderer! Forsaking your country is one thing, forsaking kin another! I will not... I cannot!

As stubborn as your sister...

Xeabos walks in and interjects.

Commander Ronsenbach. It is to my shame you had to witness this.

There is no shame in a daughter so devoted to her people. But, Cressida, you must leave here at once with your father.

What? How could you ask this of me? I am full ready to die here by your side, commander!

Everyone in this room knows that the situation is hopeless and anyone who stays is doomed. Cressida knows this so she also has to have realized that staying won't bring her revenge.

No!

His eminence saw in Master Nybeth's inquiries a light for Galgastan's future.

By this point her desire to stay and fight must come from some misguided notion of honor.

I do not deny the wrath directed at us by those outside our walls. But you need not bear the burden for that! Complete your research. Prove us worthy of such a boon. Bring joy to Galgastan! Your place is by your father's side, Cressida. For Hektor's sake as well as ours.

But, commander!

So in this scene you have a necromancer who wants to fight and die for some noble ideal being talk out of it by a knight who is focused on more practical and worldly objectives. Kind of a weird rule reversal.

I shall consider it my duty, above all others.

The knight's focus in this case is Nybeth mysterious research. Which must be something big if a person like Xeabos would consider it of greater importance than is fallen country.

With that Cressiada and Nybeth leave Xeabos to his fate.

For those wondering about the other path. Nothing really happens over there. The target is just some guy. I mean, we didn't even kill any of his loved one, so there's nothing interesting in the least.

Next time: We do what Xeabos has been expecting us to do.