Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Snugglecakes
Dec 29, 2008

:h: :glomp: :h:

Update 33: Chests on the Brain

Last time James got punched in the face, and Owyn jacked a Lightning Staff from an old man. This time we will be heading to Owyn's Uncle's place. First though, we want to explore the wilderness outside of Kenting Rush.

Knowing that there could be Moredhel Spies just waiting for them outside of Kenting Rush, James decided it would be best for them to scour the area. That way they could also see if there were any drop zones in the chests that they could take advantage of.

Turned out there was quite a few. Gorath would have a lot of translating to do in the next few days.

Three chests were in the area to the far south of Kenting Rush.

"Never resting, never still. Moving silently, hill to hill. It does not walk, run or trot, All is cool where it is not."

"Wordlock Combination Letters posted:

T U O R B C T N
A R N N E I A E
S O L O T E N T
M H T S H Y K S

The first chest they opened had a Ring of Prandur, Dragon Stone, Fadamor's Formula, and Redweed Brew. While they didn't have any particular need for them at the moment, they took all the items as they could be sold later.

"Passed from father to son, And shared between brothers. Its importance is unquestioned, though it is used more by others."

T R S E
P E N S
M A M Y
N I O T

They quickly pocketed the coins. There was another Dragon Stone which Owyn took, as well as a Clerical Oilcloth which they also took.

"What goes with a wagon that doesn't benefit the wagon, but the wagon cannot move without?"

S L E S E
N R I L T
F O T O Y
B E S T D

James smiled.

They had spent a fortune buying better armor for themselves, as well as some new magical spells for Owyn. After selling these gems, in addition to anything else they found in the area, their party treasury would be easily over a thousand sovereigns once again.

From the edge of the hill, they begin to backtrack back north, heading towards a small house which turned out to be abandoned. They also chose to investigate the barn.

Got my hopes up for nothing. :geno:

Just north of the house and barn lay two more chests. The first they checked had no lock on it.

James now laughed. He had expected an old sword, or perhaps a handful of coins. Having more valuable gems to sell was very much unexpected. The second chest had a wordlock on it.

"It stands while others sit. It groans when it is too full. It has four legs, but cannot run."

C L A Y S
S A T R E
I H B I D
T O E L O

Owyn tossed the ruby to James while he carefully picked up the scroll. Could it be for a spell that he had not mastered yet? He had to find out.

:bubblewoop:

'Thoughts Like Clouds' confuses Enemy Spellcasters, who will be unable to cast spells for a number of rounds equal to half the cost of the spell. The spellcaster will still be able to move around freely, and attack physically though.

Given how fast those fuckers run around sometimes, I can see this being very useful. Might not be quite as useful when we face multiple spellcasters at once though.

They continued to search the wilderness, eventually finding the end point, where their diligence was rewarded with yet another two chests!

"The one who made it, didn't want it. The one who bought it, didn't need it. The one who used it, never saw it."

T A F K T E
P R E F E L
I O I S F S
C H S E I N

Gorath took the coins and shut the chest. A few months ago the crossbow and sword would have been worth taking as well, but not anymore.

"What has a mare, That the cow has not?"

:what:

B I L E T
T L A B N
C R O N E
S O T T S

This time it was Gorath who tossed the ruby to James while he carefully picked up the dwarven armor. He smiled ruefully. Just like the sword and crossbow, this would have been a wonderful find just a few months ago, but now with their dragon plate armor its value was just to be repaired and then sold.

Finding this armor reminds me that I never finished the Kobold Quest to find Dwarf Plate, so we are going to finish that one up this update! But first...

There was still one area that they had not cleared out yet.

In a locked chest they found a small amount of gold along with a handwritten note.

Guess there is a pants thief around these parts. Guess we know what happened to Owyn's then.

"For the last time, I AM WEARING PANTS!" :saddowns:

"What just happened?"

This is a fake wall here. The only way to guess this is to simply run into it face first. The hint being that that there is clearly an area on the other side of it.

Why is it fake? What is the point of having it here? :iiam:

We do stumble into a trap though!

A nasty one too. Trolls in addition to lightning traps and fireballs? Ouch.

First thing we do is have Owyn cast 'Invitation' to the one closest to James. He gets pulled through the lightning trap and is zapped to death. :science:

Tried the same trick with the one by Gorath, but it ends up just moving him one space forward next to Gorath. This is okay though, Gorath just dispatches him the old fashioned way. The only threat left now is the trap itself.

Not so bad though. Gorath pushes the transparent crystal in front of the fireball trap, which explodes upon and deactivates the green lightning trap.

James then pushes the non-transparent crystal in front of the other fireball trap, which blocks it from firing.

He then passes through, and the trap is undone!

"What is so valuable here that there was need to set up a trap with trolls as guards, of all things?"

"Oh." :ms:

"Surely they wouldn't mind one cask missing..." :guinness:

Having finished their scouring of the wilderness outside of Kenting Rush, they head back into town to sell off the gems that they had found during their search.

Having sold the gems acquired, the party ventured back to the temple of Kahooli, and there paid for transportation to another temple.

After selling those gems we are back up to about three thousand again, so spending a little less than two hundred to teleport is fine by me.

After leaving the temple, we foot it up to Tyr-Sog. Dubal in LaMut had mentioned that there was an old dwarf battleground there where we could find dwarf plate if we were so inclined.

Sure enough, Gorath finds it. It is in crap condition, but who cares? We are going to be giving it away soon enough.

We don't have to give them the armor, of course. For example, if you were playing a game and that was the armor your characters were actively using, you might not want to give it away until you had found a suitable replacement. This isn't an issue for us, so we say yes.

Magical Kobold Juice! :2bong:

The reward is pretty decent, an increase of five points to maximum health and maximum stamina for all characters. Every little bit helps!

With that sidequest over with, we teleport back over to Kenting Rush and proceed south to Cavall Keep. First, we stop off at a farm for an amusing conversation.

"I said we would like to talk with you for a moment, and perhaps get some fresh water for our pouches."
"Huh? You want fishwater for your cows?
"No, I said we'd like some FRESH WATER for our POUCHES... and we'd like to TALK to you."
"What?"
"COULD WE COME IN AND SPEAK TO YOU?"
:wal:"What do they want, dear?"
"THEY SAY THEY WANT TO COME IN AND SLEEP WITH US."
:wal:They want to see our ducks? We don't have any ducks. Why would --"
"Uh, never mind. NEVER MIND. SORRY TO HAVE BOTHERED YOU FOLKS."

See, now why wasn't this exchange in the book?

Just outside of Cavall Keep, they found two more chests. One which wasn't protected by a wordlock, and one which was.

"It goes past gates, but ask no one's leave. It runs clear around castles, without taking a step."

S A M T
W I L S
P R O L
E T U E

There was very little of value inside the wordlocked chest though. The other chest was far more interesting...

Seems that somebody has been bothering Owyn's Uncle's family. Could be worth investigating...

And so we shall. Next time!