Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Interlude: Isen 4

Previously...

On the trail of a traitor! After returning to Imperial Intelligence, agent ABEENA MOONSLAYER is informed that the man who betrayed his SIS unit and left her for dead, HUNTER, has been spotted at a remote Republic mining base -- a base that is now broadcasting its surrender to the Empire! Abeena and her new portege ENSIGN TEMPLE board the base to find Hunter …

: …
: It just can't ever be easy, can it?
: What happened here?
: I don't know, but stick close. Our primary mission is still to bring in Hunter.

Click here to watch this conversation!

: That's -- ugh. Can you smell that? Those are bodies …
: You never saw dead bodies on Hoth?
: I did, but in the cold they didn't smell as bad.

: Stop right there, you slime! No Imperial sets foot in my home.

: Last I head, Isen Four surrendered to the Empire. What's going on?
: Huh. Like you don't know?
: Well, no. That's why I asked.
: Oh, well … I guess that's reasonable. Someone sabotaged Colony Control. It started two hours after the surrender. First the tram accident. Then the air filters, and the decompression … assassin protocols in the medical droids! We surrendered … why did you do it?

Dolash posted:

Actually, it puts me more in mind of Peragus.

And Dolash wins the prize for “guess what the game is trying to emulate this time!”

: Whoever's behind this wasn't one of ours.
: Then who?

* PEW *

:psylon:: Sedative administered. Lethal overdose possible.

: Temple, take out those droids!

: How's he look?
: I'm sorry, sir. He's dying. If there's anything we need to ask …
: I need to know if you've seen an SIS agent. Code name “Hunter.” Blond hair, kind of slimy ...
: What …? The SIS -- he went to Colony Control before we lost contact. I don't know if he made it out. But now it's sealed up tight, no one could make it past … past …
: No one could make it past what? Where's colony control!?
: I can't … I just … can't … *blarg! *

: I know they're Republic, sir, but -- can we avenge them anyway?
: Fortunately taking down Hunter will avenge them and me, so … let's do it.

LATER …

: Well, that was certainly a lot of droids we had to get through. Colony Control should be through here. Get ready, Ensign.

: … and it's empty. Of course.

Click here to watch this conversation! (you should watch this just for the madness displayed on the screen in the first bit)

:psylon:: Identifying. Colony Control systems locked down. Enter code! Remote access in progress.
: Remote access?

: Whaaaat is happening?
: Is that … the Republic Anthem it's playing?
: Your thoughts, Ensign?
: I don't recognize any of this equipment. If Hunter set it up, we should probably contact headquarters so we don't … I don't know, blow up the colony.
: Indeed. Good instincts, Temple.

: Isen Four colony to Imperial Intelligence headquarters. Secure routing. This is Cipher Nine -- there's some sort of device here …
: Cipher Nine? I got your report, but we can barely read you. What's going on? What's that music?
: Most of the colonists are dead, and the control center's a wreck. Hunter might be responsible.
: I'm linked into the colony's communications relay. Strange tech interference … Fixers don't recognize it, but I can shut it down …

* BEEP! *

: Ah ah ah, you didn't say the magic word!

* Beeeeeeeeyyyyyoooooooooooooooo * (that's the onomatopoeia for a computer dying, right?)

: You followed me. You cut off control. I'm a little put out. Not that it really matters. I'm long gone, I got my massacre and besides -- it was for propriety more than anything.
: What do you mean? Who ordered the colony destroyed?
: Look, I don't have anything against that place. But if you want a war to start right, you've got to grease the wheels. When the Republic hears that the Empire slaughtered thousands of colonists who surrendered? There won't be any more “peaceful resolutions.”
: You're not doing this for the SIS, and you're not doing it alone.
: Time for me to go. And you need to stop coming after me, “Cipher Nine.” Because without anonymity, you won't last long -- and I can make your operations very public. Smell 'ya later. Love the haircut, by the way.
: Grrr. Watcher Three?
: Blast, I couldn't trace him … I'll pull what I can from the machinery, but he's more right than he knows. The survivors are a problem.
: How do the survivors pose a threat?
: As soon as word gets out what happened, other worlds we've captured will rebel. Watchers Seven and Nine are … strategizing. They recommend eliminating the survivors on Isen Four so the news of the massacre is contained.
: The colonists are still a resource we can exploit. We just need them under control.
: Sir, look ... I can give you the coordinates of the largest cluster of lifeforms. Maybe you can negotiate something. But I need to send in the death squads soon. Your reputation may be secure, but mine isn't. Watcher Three out.
: Funny. I remember when he was a fresh-faced new Watcher stuck on surveillance duty. Now he's got his own death squads.
: And I had forgotten how casually the Empire uses the phrase “death squads” to refer to its own troops.

A SHORT TIME LATER …

Click here to watch this conversation!

: Take the injured and go. Go!
: Hello.
: I am Representative Omana Tragg of the Isen Four mining colony. The fool who surrendered to the Empire.
: Yes, I remember you from the message.
: What do you want of us now?
: You surrendered before, but it wasn't enough. Pledge your service to the Empire -- you live and die for us, every one of you. Contact our fleet and swear it.
: Hmm … what's our alternative?
: I gun you down here and now.
: I see. I … will tell my people. If they agree and you can send the signal … we shall see.

LATER …

: Those who refuse can be imprisoned. We'll do this for our lives.
: I suppose it's a start. We can always use more cannon fodder. And you, Intelligence agent -- your organization approved this? My last orders were to purify the system.
: Anyone who objects can be directed to me. I'll be back on Dromund Kaas shortly.
: Understood. I'll send a transport to Isen Four to pick them up.
: May the Force preserve us …
: It is done. The people of Isen Four will remember you. Although I can't say if it will be as their savior, or the one who condemned them.
: That is not my problem. Goodbye, Representative.
: A diplomatic approach, sir. I hope headquarters approves.
: They should. They sort of owe me and on this one I'm collecting. Let's head home.

There are two lightside/darkside choices in this update, and both times Abeena took the third, “neutral” option. When you are talking to the dying guard you can alternatively give him pain killers (he then dies) or shoot him in the head (he dies a few seconds earlier).

With the colonists, you can of course just gun them down, or you can completely betray the Empire by getting the escape pods up and running and sending them on their way. The Chancellor's speech changes a little to reflect your actions.

Abeena don't got time for that light side/dark side malarky, though.