Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

A lot of shops have two doors or some other way of getting behind the counter. This is usually so you can chat with the shopkeeper. Outdoor stalls like the rest of Farebury's merchants usually don't do this, but the weapon shop...

Let's say sure, we are.

Whenever you buy equipment, the shopkeeper lets you equip it right there. Still, stuff you find, like that Pot Lid, doesn't.

What if we say no?

Intimidating monsters does have its applications sometimes, but it's a risky move unless you outlevel the enemies. Both because you need to be higher level for it to work, and because more likely than not you'll just get punched in the face for it.

Eight can't pillage everything. Like this thing. What is this thing? He can't steal from it!

Well, this is the front door to the weapon shop. Crossed swords in front of a blue shield.

Equipment in Dragon Quest is usually expensive. DQ8 is no exception. If we sold everything we had, we might be able to afford the Copper Sword. We don't need to, though. Our starting weapons, though janky as they are, can carry us far enough.

That Boomerang, though, is looking handsome. Eight can use it, along with his default swords and spears. Yangus gets hammers, scythes, and axes. The difference in weapon category matters a lot, but more on that later.

The strange jester had a catchphrase. He's got several people in town parroting it.

When all other leads fail, watering hole.

Boogie Woogie in the Bar

The bar music is great. Click it. I also think it's one of the few songs not orchestrated in the NA soundtrack. See, the Japanese version had synthesized music, and the orchestrated soundtrack, like the voice acting, was added for overseas releases.

This random shirtless guy in a bull mask (does he drink through the holes?) tells us about tension.

The major change to the DQ formula 8 introduced is the tension mechanic. Characters can spend turns to make an action super-strong.

Aw yeah hittin' on bunny girls. I think Toriyama has a thing for bunny girls.

"Tee hee hee! Munchie? A cute name for a cute little fellow! Well, Munchie, enjoy your stay! ♪"

Dammit, when she asks about the thing in your pocket you don't tell her about the mouse!

The old man tells us more about Kalderasha, the town's fortune-teller. Apparently he's fallen on hard times.

...So, uh, I think our mission here is... uh... let's eavesdrop.

Kalderasha. Video covered in screenshots.

"I'm sorry but I've got a business to run. This, er, haphazard fortune-telling of yours is costing me a fortune in free drinks!"

"Let me tell you someting for free. All fortune-telling is 'haphazard'! What do you expect!?"

"It would only have led to another disaster, that's what!
"I'm sorry, Mr. Kalderasha, sir. I don't follow... If you're saying you knew about the fire, shouldn't you at least have warned Master Rylus?"
"Yes... Poor Rylus... How many times I argued with the old man... I cannot believe he is gone..."

We have to bother Kalderasha personally in order to advance the story. Seems like a mean thing to do.

He then notices... something about Eight.

Before he can inquire further, something happens!

Hurry! We Are in Danger

Several people run outside. Let's linger!

End of video.

"Yessss! I was just getting to the 'yes, yeeesss" bit. But now iwth all the noise, I have lost interest. You do not understand, do you? That is how I do business! Can you not feel the curiosity stirring in you when hear me say the words!? 'Yes, yeeesss!' It makes you want me to tell your fortune, no?"

This guy is blocking our path to the courtyard. We'll have to go the long way around. Incidentally, the music up there has the most ridiculous breakdown in it.

The NPCs still around have bits of jibber-jabber.

Monster in the courtyard. Video covered by screenshots.

An angry mob has gathered to confront the monster, which is...

Apparently, just Trode. He does look rather gross frankly.

The mob starts pelting him with stones until...

Medea steps in their way! That is one angry horse.

Eight and Yangus step in to defuse the situation and get Trode out.

The party exits to the jeers of the crowd...

"Don't they realize who I am!? Hmph! Judging a book by its cover! Don't they know it's what's inside that counts!?"
"Yeah! You can say that again!"

Well, we did, in a sense.

"Well... I suppose there's no point crying over spilt milk. It's Dhoulmagus we're after! He's the one who cursed the Princess and I, after all. He's the one who made us look so ridiculous! I had hoped Rylus might be able to help us locate him. But it seems we'll just have to track Dhoulmagus down by ourselves. With Rylus gone, we have nothing further to gain from staying here. Let's be on our way!"

Suddenly...

"Are you not afraid of me, young lady?"
"I dreamt about you... I dreamt that some people came to town with a strange creature. It was... sort of halfway between a human and a monster... And I dreamt that they could make wishes come true..."

"Are you referring to me?"
"I'm so sorry! I didn't mean to be rude!"

"Anyway, you say you had a dream about me? Most peculiar..."

"If you could just come to my house, I'll explain everything there. It's by the well, at the far end of town. I'll be waiting for you!"

Valentina leaves.

"Wot was she rabbitin' on about? Come round my 'ouse, she says..."
"Magnificent! She wasn't afraid to look at me at all! Not one bit! Ah, she reminds me of my Medea! We must give this young girl a helping hand!"

End of video.

A Peaceful Community ~ Night

This is the house by the well, like she said.

Let's hop right in then!

Wells usually have some sort of swag hiding at the bottom. It's always worth it to check by diving in.

This Leather Shield goes to Eight, because his defense is lower and because he can't even use the Pot Lid.

We find Valentina has dozed off while waiting.

Perfect time to ransack for minor goodies! :toot:

Valentina's Request

"I wanted to ask you a favour about this crystal ball."

"Of course. Let me explain. My father, Kalderasha, was once a really famous fortune-teller. Lost treasure, missing people... There was nothing the Great Kalderasha couldn't help people with."

Oh great, Kalderasha's here.

"How many times have I told you not to touch my crystal ball?"

"What? Aren't you that boy from the pub!? What brings you here? ...Never mind! I do not know what my daughter has asked you, but you can forget it! I do not need your help! I am fine as I am.

He does exactly as he says.

"But whatever he says, he's the one who's really suffering since he lost his powers."

How could we say no to a face like this? It's a good thing to do, so we do it!

Okay how she closes those giant eyes makes her forehead seem utterly immense.

"I suppose only the daughter of the Great Kalderasha could know a thing like that!"

End of video.

With this information, we report back to Trode.

He responds rather strongly.

"Such devotion to her father! I'm impressed! Just how a daughter should be! And if this Kalderasha gets his powers back, there's nothing he can't find, am I right? Then we'll kill two birds with one stone! If everything goes according to plan, we'll find out where that hateful Dhoulmagus is. But time's getting on. Medea and I will stay outside. That's the last time we set foot in a barbaric town like this. But you should spend the night at the inn and rest well so that you're ready to take on the world tomorrow!"

I'd like to say we do this next time but really we need to grind up a bit so we don't die painfully and alone in the waterfall cave. Stay tuned for that, I guess?