Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Swords and Boomerangs won Eight's votes. First is Boomerangs so we can go through random encounters, and because it'd take a while to get some swank swords.

Axes and Scythes are Yangus's choices. Axes are first because, well, we get the first axe sooner. Furthermore, a lot of Axes's stuff is frontloaded.

This, dear reader, is an Axoraptor. Axoraptor will, most assuredly, loving murder us.

Seeds are stat-boosting items. This one will permanently increase the max HP of a character by a few points.

I'll not even begin to consider using these until we have a full party.

oh poo poo axoraptor almost took my life

The checkpoint's closed, so we're stuck in Farebury.

So here's that waterfall cave, the game's first dungeon.

Clearly, let's go this way around it instead.

It's secretly a path up to the top of the mountain!

I need to remember party chats are a thing.

"Awright, so there might be a few more monsters, but a real man don't need to worry about that!"

There's a lot of nice flavor text in here.

Anyway, ontop of the waterfalls is this hut.

Inside of this hut is an incredibly muscular man.

Clearly we should rummage through his things before introducing ourselves.

Despite stealing his agility-increasing items he seems nice enough.

DQ protagonist, a JRPG wouldn't let this go without rewards, etc.

"Okay, I'm only going to say this once, so clean out your ears and get listenin'."

"I had a bit of a kip there when I was out the other day, and it seems I left my tool bag behind. I don't expect you to do this for free of course. I'll be able to give you a small reward. I'll be waitin' here in my hut for you to bring it back. Try not to take too long."

We can see the tree he mentioned there, along with what I think is the next town.

Here we see the One Knight Stand in its natural habitat. It would be kind of rough to fight him and I don't really feel like trying yet. There's a big point to all these guys, and I am nowhere near it.

Anyway, enough mucking about. It's time to take on Dragon Quest 8's first dungeon.

He won't be available for party chats. There's a much bigger consequence to him ducking out of dungeons later in the game.

Cold and Gloomy

As you might expect, the waterfall cave is a cave with waterfalls.

It's got entirely new enemies attempting to murder us, as well.

Dancing Devils, well, dance.

It's a shocking move, technically, but drat if it isn't snazzier than face-licking.

Mischievous Moles can psyche up like the player. They're way too dangerous if left alive for long.

The experience is a hell of a lot better than what's outside.

Yangus picks up his first Axes ability relatively quick.

Helm Splitter would be a great move to have, if I could get an axe at this point. It's a regular attack with a Sap effect applied at no MP cost, so, basically, it's a regular attack that can decrease defense. I don't think it can critical but you're probably going to want the defense decrease against most things.

Like the overworld, Eight doesn't start with a map for dungeons. Most of them can be found relatively early on though.

The right path is much more lucrative than the left.

Inside is a peddler (who I forget to talk to (but says nothing particularly interesting anyway)) and three chests.

Bubble Slimes have relatively low attack but can poison on damage. It helps to have a few antidotal herbs on hand.

They never lose that winning smile, even in death.

free chimaera wing for the trip back to Farebury, if needed.

This is Yangus's default hat, and Eight can equip it too. It's 2 points better than the Bandana.

Drackies are only a smidgen stronger than slimes. They'd show up if I ever ran around enough for night to fall.

A lesser game would just have a stony corridor here. Not DQ8. You get waterfalls.

Skippers are probably here just to kick my rear end since they hit quite a bit harder than everything else present. They drop bunny tails at a 1/32 rate. I only bring this up because jesus christ I got 2 1/256 drops.

The hazards of emulation: some things screw up and I don't even know why and the only fix involves tanking the framerate by a 5th. I apologize for the inconvenience.

" A man that looked like a peddler came along earlier, but when he saw me he ran away without saying a word! Anyway... As you've probably realised, you'll have to fight me if you want to go any further!"

Hell yeah! We'll kick your rear end!

"...

"..."

"Off you go. Be careful now!"

I am pretty sure this entire scene serves no purpose other than to be exceedingly whimsical.

HORRIBLE BURNING DEATH IS NOT WHIMSICAL.

Yangus actually has an innate resistance to Frizz. How handy!

Just because it's a slime doesn't mean it wants to kill us.

Well yeah I'm not sure why you'd lie.

"Yay! Then I'll tell you something good! It is a dead end, but there's a treasure chest up there! (Slurp)"

That's quite the treasure. Five points stronger than the Soldier's Sword, and we saved 270 gold getting this!

Relatively high defense, but low HP. I think they can cast Acelleratle, an agility-increasing spell.

Skippers can certainly cast its opposite.

This is only mildly annoying as otherwise Skippers would be pounding my HP out.

Well this is unexpected. I didn't think I'd hit level 6 so close to the boss.

Believe it or not this cave being so rainbow-y is another flub. Somehow being incompetent has made the game prettier.

At level 6, Eight picks up a spell for escaping dungeons.

He also gets enough skill points to pick up his first boomerang skill. No good way to explain it without a boomerang to demonstrate it.

Anyway, next time, Dragon Quest VIII's first boss!