Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

I can dedicate half an update to the first boss because this game gives its bosses so much personality.

Geyzer

This update will also be mostly split between this video and the next with a tiny tiny interlude.

"Oh, how long it's been! How many people have gone and come!"

"But enough with the introductions! Now for the troment of muth!

Eh sure.

"Ha ha ha haaa! At last! At last we feet, mace to mace, you halfwit human!

code:
GEYZER          #261            LV:12 AQUATIC
--------------------------------------------------
HP:173          ATK:42          COMMON: 256/256
MP:20           DEF:14          SEED OF STRENGTH
EXP:107        AGL:9            RARE:   0/256
GOLD:108    EVD:0/64  	
--------------------------------------------------
RESISTANCES:
FRIZZ/SIZZ/FLAME/TROOP/POISON/SHOCK/SILENCE
DAZZLE/FIZZLE/SAG/DRAIN MAGIC
IMMUNITIES:
DEATH/PARALYSIS/FUDDLE/BAN DANCE
---------------------------------------------------
SPELLS & ABILITIES:
SIZZ
CURSED MIST
Geyzer is the first boss, and he's part level gate (you must be at least 5 to get on this ride) and part introduction to boss tactics. He hits really hard but more than that are his two other moves.

Curse is a shock-like ailment that's got one notable difference to it.

Eight is completely and utterly immune. He cannot be cursed. Ever.

Yangus however, has to deal with losing a turn. It's one of his rounds for only half of yours - Cursed Mist is your breathing room because he's not ramming your HP down.

Yangus's tension gets reset whenever he's cursed, so Eight is the one who spends every turn psyching up.

You can only enter the 4th stage sometimes, and this message means you can't. A shame, the NA version added a certain... something when Eight reaches the 4th stage.

Oh well, the damage multiplier is enough for me.

Sizz is his "oh gently caress" action.

Sizz is a Sizz-elemental spell that hits a group. I say this because Frizz and Sizz despite being both fire are different elements internally . And your party is one group.

Owwwww.

Still, Geyzer isn't hard if you're even slightly prepaired.

Big experience reward. This is what normally gets the party to level 6 for me.

He's got a 100% drop of the seed of strength, which obviously incrase wisdom.

Nah they increase strength.

"And it's all because of you! What!? You don't know what I'm talking about...? Then you..."

The jig is up! drat!

"So strong! Strong enough to withstand my fearsome might! You are no tortune-feller!"

"I hear that a castle called Trodain has been cursed. That it was run over... overrun by thorns. And that only one person inside survived.

Aflashback to that terrible night not too long ago, when Trodain was ripped apart from the inside by the thorns...

Indeed, the only person who awoke was Eight.

"As I thought That was you! I don't know what you want with this crystal ball..."

"One last thing! Should you meet the true owner of this crystal ball, tell him this from me!"

So, ware thee fell! Oh, the pain, the pain! The pain of my old wound!"

Eight's Evac spell is exactly what we need to not die on the return trip!

At Farebury, Eight discards the sword for the plowshare. And then I sell it.

Aw come on! It'd be worth something right?

It's to fund the Boomerang. This baby will carry me for quiiite a while.

Anyway, time to return the brystal call to the tortune-feller.

The Great Kalderasha.

"And it seems you have done as Valentina asked. You see! Even with a glass ball, the Great Kalderasha's eyes see further than you realise! But you are meddling in matters that do not concern you. And you are wasting your time. You can bring back my crystal ball as many times as you like. I will just throw it away again!

"Enough! Listen to me! No one knows why I threw away my crystal ball. Even Valentina has no idea. I'm not about to confide in a stranger."

But then someone interrupts Kalderasha...

"I know! I've known for ages... I know why you threw away your crystal ball."

"Yes. And I don't blame you for their death."
"Why not? How can you not blame me, Valentina? How can you not hate me?"

"I was too young to remember, but... you were once a truly great fortune-teller, weren't you, Father? No one knew where my parents had fled to. But to you, it was as clear as day."

"I was walking on air. Fortune-telling was my life. It was my soul. I thought only of myself. Be they good or bad, I cared not who asked me to use my crystal ball. I lived for the vision!"
"It's all right, Father. You're a good man. You took me in and raised me, didn't you? When I was just a helpless baby. I want to see it for myself."

"Oh, my sweet Valentina..."

Eight and Yangus stay at Kalderasha's for the night whilst he prepares his crystal ball...

Eight awakens.

Yangus... does not.

"I must thank you and your friend. "

"Many years have passed since I gazed into the crystal like this... I have to thank you for returning it to me."

"Yes, yes! I see it! I see it! There is a jester! A jester breaking through the southern checkpoint! Yes! The mists are clearing!

"Yes! Yeeesss! The mists are clearing!

"So where'd 'e go after that? Wot else can yer deduct?"
"What else...? Let me look deeper. Hm? What's this...?"

"Hm! It must have hit something very hard to do this damage. And look! Someone has scratched some letters next to the chip..."

"You wot!? When I asked wot else yer could see, I didn't mean ON the ball, I meant IN the ball! Wotever Oh, come on guv!"

I didn't mean for Valentina to look square in the camera like that but somehow I just couldn't bring myself to change it.

Farebury's great fortune teller is back in business, and he's patched up his relationship with his daughter.

He did this all before we even got here. The smoke plume already filled the sky in the opening. I pray we're not always seeing his wake and left scrambling...

"blah blah balls blah blah murder blah blah"

"That fiend killed his own teacher!? And you say he headed south? Then there's no time to lose, Eight! We must go after him at once! Let's be on our way!