Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Alistair's murder hangs heavy in the halls of the Albert estate.

Random pilfering and theft isn't shenanigans, right?

Ah, cheese. DQ8 has an intricate cheese system. Alas, all we can access is the basic cheese.

Our new mission: tell anyone she said so.

: "Not only am I the son of the Chancellor to a large and prosperous kingdom, but I'm also the lovely Jessica's fiancè. Yes, that's me! She lost her brother recently, so I came here today to comfort her. But I seem to be faced with an unexpected obstacle to our love. There are some brats in front of her room who won't let me in. Ah, the sea of true love is strewn with the flotsam of despair!"

Lorenzo is as foppish as his outfit implies. Though, that story about a fiancè from a large kingdom, I swear I've heard it before.

: "Sadly, my family is currently in mourning. No one is permitted to set foot outside the house. I'm afraid that my daughter is less than happy about this arrangement and has confined herself to her room. She's even asked those boys to stand guard at the door. I'm sure I don't know what's got into her."

Indeed, Bangerz and Mash are here to block the door. Let's pilfer anyway.

Indeed, a mouse.

It runs into this hole in the wall.

Hmm, well, we have one item at our disposal that can handle this!

Before that, pilfering. This seed boosts MP, and will more than likely end up inside Yangus.

The third basic restorative, it cures paralysis for the whole party. It'll be quite a while before anything paralyzes.

Munchie is our vital operative for tiny holes in walls.

Go Topo Go!!

This is our first Munchie segment, where Eight's noble mouse must cause some sort of minor mischief.

In this case, we go downstairs in Jessica's alarmingly large room.

But it seems the lady in question isn't even here. Where is she?

So Munchie uses the broom to get up to the desk.

The other mouse does all of squeaking.

It's theft for a good cause I swear.

Munchie can't climb up the steps, but he can go up the railing.

He also has an action roll for... uh... I don't think the action roll does anything.

So uh, Jessica has a letter saying she's missing. Maybe we ought to show Bangerz this.

But but but, I have the key item!

Wait, I have to use the key item. Right.

Jessica's Letter

'I don't know who will find this letter. But please consider it my last will and testament. For by the time you read this, I will already be gone. I am going to the tower in the east. I will not return until my brother's death is avenged. Mother, I'm sorry for the damage I've caused to our family's reputation. But this is about something far bigger than tradition. I must follow my heart, no matter the consequences. Please forgive me. And to Bangerz and Mash, I'm sorry for lying to you. I hope you'll forgive me as well. Signed, Jessica.'

"She's been in her room the whole time! So how could she give you a letter?"
: "I dunno. It sounds sorta real to me."
"... ...Okay! Fine! I'll check her room!"

Man it'd be really funny if she was just standing behind a curtain to gently caress with us.

"Gimme that letter!"

"But if she really did go to the tower, she'll end up just like her brother Alistair! This is bad... This is REALLY bad... We've gotta do something! We've gotta get her out of there!"

Eh sure let's go with it. I mean it's not like event flags will trigger themselves.

I guess the in-universe explanation is that Eight is just a really heroic guy.

"Okay! We've gotta hurry! To get to the tower, go left down the path outside the village!"

Man why won't this child engage in life and death conflict with us.

"Listen, Mash. Whatever you do, don't let Jessica's mum find out where she went!"
: "Yessir, Bangerz!"
"Good! Come on! We've gotta hurry!

Yangus does not like this kid at all. He's having trouble putting up with him.

Bangerz wants us to head straight to the tower. Unluckily for him, we tend to wander and ramble.

Trode just wants to get that jester really, really bad.

Yangus finally has an axe to demo its first ability!

It does the damage of a regular attack without costing MP so there's no real opportunity cost to it.

Hey, it's guys like that one from the waterfall cave!

They're hardy enough for Yangus to demo Helm Splitter's defense decrease in action.

Hammerhoods tend to wiff attacks by falling over.

Those they land though really rip into your HP. Or maybe that's just my lack of armor purchases catching up with me.

They can also psyche up, though they lose tension on wiffs.

Yangus reaches his short-term axes goal with Hatchet Man.

Sums of cash from chests in DQ games tend to be disappointing, though every bit helps right about now.

Let's try this cheese out!

Meanwhile, Yangus preps his Hatchet Man. IIRC it's 50% abject failure, 25% regular damage,

and 25% critical hit. It may sound tiny, but 25% is vastly higher than the regular critical hit rate.

Mice like cheese, right?

Do they all breathe fire when given cheese?

It may seem insignificant, but, remember, basic cheese. Cheeses can do some crazy things.

I hate this game sometimes.

Fencing Foxes are another one of the fellers around here.

Their main thing is the ability to cast Fizzle, the silence spell.

Their other ability is to get wrecked by boomerangs.

The game has an AI system. It's mostly unecessary but it does have one trick - it can respond to something that happened in the round it happened, like casting Heal on someone who was just hit.

With some funds from adventuring I can get new shields for Eight and Yangus.

Also enough money to buy new armor for Yangus. The Scale Armour will have to wait.

Next time, the tower.