Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Helmet 10 Warehouse
Jul 21, 2007

Update 50: Coming Soon

Hello, everyone. Last time we decided we we're too sentimentally to actually fight our pseudo-sister, peered into an old man's dream, recruited a loser, and made preparations for war. Busy times.

This time however we have three fights blocking our path to our goal. The goal of not fighting Catiua. I really don't know what we plan to do there once we arrive, but that doesn't matter we have to go there.

Fight 1 of 3.

This is our land. If I fall this day defending it, I leave no regrets.

Ok. Nothing interesting happens in this fight. Alessandro just rushes forward to his death.

He did get killed by a rock, though. That was kind of funny.

Skipping ahead to fight 2.

Already in progress.

Right now, the enemy dragons are throwing themselves against are bone wall.

Yes, we have skeletons.

Skeletons are pretty cool. They get all the cool undead things with less of the drawbacks. I will explain more about that in a moment.

The reason we have our new boney allies is because Cressida is level 17. The magical level at which she can use all the skills and spells she joined us with. Necromancy works kind of like War Dances and Ninjutsu. It requires a consumable item to cast but instead of TP, they use MP. Since most of your MP comes from item in the first place, you can say it requires two items to cast. Necromancy spells are used to aid the undead or hamper the living. Sometimes both at the same time.

Right now, Cressida is going to use Life Force which is one of those "attack an enemy and drain MP at the same time" type of spells. It has a pretty high cost at 40 MP to use, but that doesn't matter.

Cressida almost always does enough damage to max out how much MP she gets back. Giving her a net gain of MP in the end. Keep in mind that dragon she hit had the best resistance to her spell out of anything on the battlefield. Her spells pack quite the punch.

Our golem finishes off the dragon.

Sherri and doomfunk might not be able to match Cressida in damage output, but who needs to when your status effect spells never miss.

One of these days I'll be able to use Empower Golem. Between the two of them you would think one of them would be able to get 70 TP.

One problem with undead units in general is they can't be heal by normal means, so they're a little fragile.

Cressida does have a spell that can heal multiple undead unit while also hurting any normal living creature it hits.

But she can't spend all her time managing skeleton HP.

She's got better things to do.

Besides she has another skill to help our fallen friends with.

For the low cost of 30 TP she can "revive" a skeleton back to full HP.

The dragon that doomfunk charmed lends a hand.

Not wanting to draw things out. We move in for the kill.

Our target is within range of both Denam and Cake Attack. And wouldn't you know it they have the next two turns.

He counters Denam but in doing so exposes his back.

Giving Cake Attack a chance to make another Sneak Attack.

The Armies at Iorumza... only a feint. It's Barnicia Castle they seek. The Dark Knights...

Congratulations

Another good thing about skeletons is that they actually get EXP and SPat the end of a battle, unlike zombified humans who don't.

Time for the worst fight of the three.

Hey look a Dark Knight who's only contribution to the game so far was standing around while Lanselot (the evil one) first talk to Catiua.

I had forgotten how invigorating the battlefield could be. I'm too long slinking about in the shadows. Come to storm Barnicia Castle and rescue the Princess fair? You may find her a somewhat... unwilling companion. Ha ha!

Now you might be wondering what so bad about this fight. Well let's take a look at the map.

It's a tar pit. Great :rolleyes:

Walking through it is a pain and so is walking around it. This is going to take a while...

Nothing interesting to see here. Just a lot of walking.

Five minutes later, We actually encounter an enemy. However, she too far away for us to attack back.

While we were taking a nice jag around the tar pit. We got to watch the enemy AI stumble around as it tried to think of how to deal with the terrain. The answer it came up with was to move around in a circle then give up and jump in the tar.

To keep my sanity I left some archers back at the starting point to take potshots at the dragon who were stuck in the tar. Even the game doesn't want to be here.

I took this dragon three turns to more four squares. Spoilers: it never makes it out of the tar.

Are we there yet?

No.

The enemy takes some pity on us by quickening Andoras.

I took the liberty of marking Andoras's path to help give a sense of how long this is going to take. The green tiles are where he has been and the red is where he's going. This isn't his entire path. The last red square (that the Templar is currently standing on) is just where we get to attack him for the first time. He moves a few time after that.

I don't remember if I showed this off yet, but Canopus's Vertan class has a skill called El Colas Winds. It's a good way to add a wind element attack buff to multiple allies at once. And since it's a skill he can still attack this turn.

We did it! We're finally in melee range, and it only took fifteen minutes to get here.

LogTM

Arycelle is still the best. Time like these I wish we had a team of only archers. If only...

One of the dragons is getting dangerously close to land, so Prowler binds it in place with his ninjutsu.

The white dragon for earlier is still stuck in the tar, and it keeps wasting it's TP summoning the anti-triforce.

Way on the other side of the battle we have a Cleric who is about to eat her third Magic Leaf of the fight.

And an Archer who is out for a stroll. Amazingly enough this fight will go on for so long that even these two will get to do something.

He's almost here! Just two more turns, and we can finally stab him.

In the meantime, everyone gangs up on Hobyrim.

Also, Andoras knows magic. So he tries to get the first hit in.

He's just not very good at it.

A half a round later. Prowler, who's been knocked around a bit, is ready go after our target. But first he has to prepare his defenses. Steelstance increase a ninja's defense. Thus eliminating there only weakness.

Alright, it's go time!

drat it!

Woo-hoo!

Steelstance, never stop being ridiculous.

A little while later, those two from before make their only contribution to the battle.

This is no errand to leave to another. I am not come to abduct a Princess - I mean to persuade my sister to leave!

Gathering intel before rushing the castle to save a princess. Denam, officially smarter than Mario.

Yet even if their reports were false, it would change nothing. It is you and the rest of the Dark Knights in Barnicia Castle who are our enemies, not the Bakram!

You still have much to learn, Denam of Golyat. Such trust in your friends, such devotion to your cause, such love for your sister. Your reckless credulity may be your most endearing quality.

Having said he's piece, Andoras punches Canopus in the face. Cast Fist, truly it is the best spell.

Axe is another a good spell.

Either Steelstance is even better than I thought it was or this Witch sucks at her job.

After all that we spends some time doing a little clean up.

Then, move in to trap our target.

We don't have to kill Andoras to win, so we might be able to end it here if Prowler can do enough damage.

Of course, Prowler crits on his first attack and sends Andoras flying.

Steelstance all day, every day.

A winged from Xenobia... You can only be Canopus.

I'm surprised to see a Bolmoccan slave at the head of a Dark Knight army. Your bearing marks you as a member of the Nildahme royal house, or what's left of it. Lodis brought ruin on your kingdom, yet here you are, serving them on bended knee.

What of it?

Do you bear no loyalty for your fatherland? How can you fight beside those who destroyed your home? How can you aid them as they visit their sins upon another? If you had any honor at all, you'd put a dagger to their throats, or failing that, your own.

Backstory!

How amusing! I think I'm growing to like you, bird man.

Ha, ha! Poorly made references.

Finally, Buluru ends this fight.

I hope you're not thinking of leaving!

I admire your spirit, boy! Can't wait to see what happens once you take Barnicia!

What? You think this a game!?

Bye.

Congratulations

We're almost there. I can taste the plot.

Next Time: We find out plot taste a lot like melodrama.

:siren: :siren: :siren:

Hobyrim is a cool old man and all but he's not really pulling is weight out there. Maybe a new class would help him out? So everyone, vote on a new class for Hobyrim. If you hate change and want him to remain a swordmaster, then just vote swordmaster.