Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Laughter, thrills, and tears.

"Up to? Me an' the guv was just talkin', that's all."
"Guv, huh? I've been meaning to ask you about that."

"Well, I'm glad you asked!"

"It is, is it? Well, why don't you just give me the highlights?"
"Awright, I will! It all started on a fine, summer's day... The sound of insects was deafenin'..."

"So I decided to leave the town I'd lived in me 'ole life and start fresh, like. I ain't exactly a looker as you can see. Perhaps that's why people treated me funny everywhere I went. Like I was a thief or somefin'. I didn't 'ave no place to go and not a penny to me name, neither, so I ended up goin' back to the old game."

"Who gave you premission to use my bridge, then eh?"

"Wot you on about? A creepy old codger like you, a king? Don't make me laugh!"
" I see your mouth is as vulgar as your face! Yes, I'M the King! And who exactly do you think YOU are!?"

"That's right! Yer talkin' to none other than Yangus, the legend'ry bandit, 'imself!"
"Yangus?"
"The one and only! Time to cough up! You 'ave to pay if you wanna cross my bridge."

Goddamn who knew Trode had a sick burn in him?

"Grrr! Don't push yer luck, you green-faced freak! I would've let you go if you'd o' kept your gob shut an' paid up, but ya wanna do this the 'ard way, eh?"

Yangus leaps and attempts to strike Eight, but misses entirely.

His attack breaks the boards underneath him

"Now, Eight, my boy! now's our chance to cross!"

The group leaps to the other side of the bridge.

The ropes give and break!

Leaving Yangus in a more precarious spot!

"As the saying goes, 'crime doesn't pay'. Let us carry on, then Eight, my boy! There, there, my precious Medea. Did the bad man scare you?"

Trode begins to ride off, but Eight is pulling up the rope!

"What are you doing, Eight? But he attacked us! Why the devil are you helping him? Just leave him! It's poetic justice! Nay, divine justice!"

Eight doesn't heed Trode's words and manages to get Yangus's one and only self to safety.

"(Sigh.) What is the world coming to? Yangus, was it? You can show your gratitude by getting out of our sight!"
"Hahh... Hahh... Yer 'avin a laugh!"
"What? Still here? If you won't do us the favour of leaving, I'll be appy to provide some encouragement!"

I like how this cutscene has Eight with his Soldier's Sword from the start of the game.

"I really owe ya! You saved me life an' ev'ryfin'! You're the bee's knees, guv!"
"Guv? What is this nonsense!? Are you a complete imbecile? This boy is my retainer! If you're in anyone's service, it's mine!"

"Put a sock in...!? Who do you think you're speaking to, you, you... good-for-nothing scoundrel!"

And so, Yangus entered into Trode's service rather indirectly.

"Well, I'm not finished yet! This is the best bit! I 'aven't told ya about 'ow the guv 'elped me go straight..."
"Whatever. You can tell me all about it later. Right now, I need some fresh air."

"Still, no skin off my nose."

Man, Trode really brags a lot about his past experience. Did being cursed really take that much out of him?

Heck yeah he entire world should know and fear the guv!

"Sorry, just joking! that kind of thing really isn't my style. I was just looking out across the sea and thinking about Dhoulmagus. I wonder why he went over to the southern continent. And I wonder what will be waiting for us when we get there... It makes me nervous just thinking about it."

So she's too busy thinking about the man who penetrated her brother with his staff.

Eight, sever.

I'm glad Trode and Medea got on board fine. It'd be awkward if Journey of the Cursed King abandoned the cursed king.

No, that's why I'm stealing your weaponry.

Let's see what Trode's up to, then. This is the only mandatory thing on the boat.

"Ah, there you are, Eight! Perfect timing! I've got something to show you!"

Alchemy Pot

"I can see that doesn't mean much to you. Allow me to explain."

:ssh: Leather Shield + Copper Sword isn't a valid recipe

"After my kingdom was cursed, I thought it might come in handy and managed to spirit out of the castle."

Oh so this is what he was hammering on all night.

"Right. Well, it's in my carriage, so why don't you give it a try? It's surprisingly easy to use."

Well this LP just got a hell of a lot more complicated. Competent use of the Alchemy pot can turn the game into a weird fever-dream version of itself wherein poo poo is unreasonably valuable.

And I literally mean poo poo.

And so we've arrived at Pereguin Quay.

Trode will be waiting outside, but we can use the Alchemy Pot in towns just fine.

Finally, we get a look at Jessica's stats. For being only one level lower than Eight and Yangus, she's got significantly less HP, Strength, and Resilience, but much higher Agility and Wisdom. Her MP will overtake Eight's at level 12 and just keep skyrocketing from there, hugging close to and sometimes eclipsing her max HP.

Jessica is the team's wizard, learning spells for dealing damage and in-battle utility. She'll learn all of two spells that are usable outside of battle: Evac at level 11, and Kazing when her Staves skill is maxed.

She's also got costumes, armor pieces which affect her appearance.

The outfit is the least revaling. The rest of the costumes range from fanservice-y to stupidly fanservice-y.

I've got business in the inn before I start alchemy-ing myself to death.

"In the end, I decided to stick around 'ere pretendin' to be a thief, but really bein' yer proper upright citizen! Pretty clever, eh!?
"...
"Now I've quit me life o' crime, I might as well give ya this."

Kayoinkle!

"Any thief worth 'is salt can use that to unlock stuff, but your average man on the street ain't got no idea wot to do wiv it. But if you're clever an' you mix it wiv somefin' else, maybe you'll be able to get it to work for ya. You'll 'ave to figure that out for yerself, though."

Well, it's time to get started.

That knife from the captain's quarters might do the trick!

Oh, well, it did! It takes a certain amount of walking around to get done bakin'.

Aw man do I have to get a pen and pa-

The game automatically records alchemy recipes for you, though for a few things you'll just have to hazard guesses. Or, you know, internet.

Besides the thief key, bronze knives have some other uses we have available to us now. The iron nail could also have been used to upgrade Eight's boomerang, but the current project is more important immediately and we'll find a second nail soon enough.

'This month we have a special treat for our readers! An exclusive interview with the lovely and lively Ms. Red, A rich adventuress who owns her very own pirate- Er, private ship! Ms. Red was kind enough to give us a personal tour of "The Classy Lady". She confided to us: "You wouldn't believe what I 'ad to go through to get this ship, I can tell ya. ... On second thoughts, I'd better NOT tell ya. Statute of limitations ain't quite run out yet. All I can say is this: I'd give me left arm to keep 'old o' this beauty!"'

The other book provides the first recipe. We'll be exploiting this baby soon enough.

Someone name-dropped a person and a place. That is more likely than not our next destination.

The weapon shop has more Bronze Knives and a whip upgrade for Jessica. It's a trap because alchemy.

Item shop has nothing special, though I'll soon buy more medicinal herbs than is reasonable.

The armor shop has a few goodies, and its two big items are the chain mail and pointy hat, both of which we can use to upgrade our gear unreasonably soon.

He needs the chests to to business. Maybe what I'm cooking now will help!

Jessica requires more experience than the rest of the party for each level. She'll always be one or two behind.

So I run in circles until I hear a lovely little ding. The item's done baking!

First tier of three of keys, and the other two are gated by storyline.

Next, Jessica takes off her hairband so I can cook with it.

Using one of my two 1/256 drops, I get started on new headgear for her.

The thief's key is enough to open these chests.

Hey, another boomerang! Once I get that second nail I won't need to unequip Eight's current one to make the upgrade.

Oh. Oh no. Not these. It's too soon. DQ8 I love you don't make me collect mini medals so soon.

The guy sells some items that are oddly useful in alchemy. And a pot lid and slime earrings.

Since Peregrin Quay is in the Zoom list, I can go back to the northern coninent to complete a few loose ends while stuff cooks.