Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

So I thought Maella Abbey has unique music so I searched it on youtube and I got some guy who does Runescape-themed metal about murdering and eating his wife.

So have the original version of the church theme instead.

Healed by the Hymn

The guy outside the door provides regular church services. I suppose I never said, Purification cures Poison, though by the time enemies can poison you you should already have Squelch on Eight. I think it's a holdover from older DQ games. Hero in DQ1 didn't even learn a poison-removing spell. Hero in DQ2 didn't even learn spells.

"Nah, I'm a pub man meself. Churches are good for 'avin' a snooze, an' pubs are good for 'avin' some booze! Hah hah!"

Oh dear, this doesn't bode well for the state of the church.

Look just because my buddy looks like a bandit and has a scythe prominently displayed does not mean we're bad guys!

Speaking of buddy who looks like a bandit, his two other scythes have merged into an axe upgrade. It cost 1,820 gold to make this, but it'd take 2,600 to buy it, and that's three towns away.

So I put his old axe and his new hat into the pot. What?

Our next objective is to nail our list of complaints to the door. Is "won't tell me who does their hair" first or second?

Clearly it's worse than we thought.

Apparently there's a hunky guy about whose name means angel. That has to be the most convenient name for a hunky clergyman.

-ral

Okay so I have a list of places to which I nail my complaints. Do we go for place with ridiculous giant statue, or fantasy vatican?

...Also, where do I get more nails?

Protagonist, pardon me.

By a Templar's Sword

"I don't know you! What are you doing in here!?"

"Leave! Now! Unless you want to die by a Templar's sword!"

Harsh reaction to your average rummaging protagonist, when...

The window above them opens!

"Marcello!?"
"I'm sorry, Captain!"

"Our duty is to protect the abbey. We cannot permit nameless travellers to wander around at will."

"These are the Templars' quarters anyway. I trust you have no business here, so I would ask you to leave."

He then leaves. Well then, there's only one thing to do.

Petty vandalism in vengeance!

I regret petty vandalism!

Well, the abbey was no help. Maybe the next town has something for us.

...Then again maybe I may just be hopeful.

"You can bung a load of commonplace items into a pot and make some really unusual things that you won't find in any shop. Take strong medicine, for example. You can make it from really cheap ingredients, but sell it for a small fortune. That's something worth remembering. Although you can have too much of a good thing. Sell too much of a rarity and the price'll drop because it's not rare anymore! Moderation's the name of the game."

The Strong Medicine's price tripling thing is the odd man out when it comes to the sale prices for items, sharing it with only three other items. Most items, especially those sold in stores, maintain a constant selling price. The rest either decay after selling five, or drop to 30% after just one sold.

Simpleton used to be a place, so this guy says. Then plague.

I think at some point between then and now the skeletons got out of the closet.

He raised that child until his wife had a legitimate heir, then tossed the bastard child and his mother out. Then the plague struck down the lord and lady, leaving the infant son, named Angelo, with nowhere to go but Maella Abbey.

Boogie Woogie at the Bar

I love this blasted track too much.

For all his luck with the ladies, Angelo has no luck with his fellow men of the cloth.

The shopkeepers in Simpleton are in the bar as well. Item guy shows us this hat. It can be made through alchemy at less than a third of the cost here, though.

Weapon guy shows some upgrades for spears and hammers, along with our first staff. There's no need to buy one yet, though. Jessica's netting spells through her skill points and she can use those regardless of weapon. It casts Frizz when used as an item. Sounds handy, but Frizz sucks.

There's no reason to insult the poor thing, though!

Little caper

This is one of those situations where screenshots cannot do justice. Watch the video.

"What!?"

"What!? ...Oh, I get it!"

The bullmask knocks Yangus into a table!

Yangus tosses off the table, which breaks behind him.

Splash!

Bullmask's friends get on Jessica's case, though.

Suddenly a table goes flying!

Yangus has a whole chair, patron included!

d('_'d)

The fight begins as Yangus tosses the chair!

Jessica deftly dodges one of the mates, who knocks himself out on the card table!

It's complete madness!

Jessica begins to cast a spell when,

Angelo shuffels off with her and Eight.

Yangus is still in the middle of the fight, though.

Meanwhile, outside.

"Anyway, I owe you one. Thanks to you I managed to pull that little caper off without being caught."

"He was such an easy mark, I got a bit carried away. Still, can't hang around. Don't want any more trouble!"

That's a legit question to ask when a guy suddenly starts staring.

"I hope you weren't hurt by my little jape? Are you all right?"
"You're out of luck! I'm fine! Apart from you leering at me!"

He's such a smug piece of poo poo. I love him.

"Au revoir, for now! Maella Abbey, all right? Just ask for Angelo! Don't forget!"

"Gave that lot wot for! He he he!"
"Hey, Eight! I hope you don't plan on keeping this ring!"

By the way, Yangus's new hat finished cooking. At 15 defense it's his bast hat for the rest of the southern continent.

Eh, I'm out of immediate upgrades, so off to side-projects I guess! And back to the Abbey now that we have an excuse.