Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Helmet 10 Warehouse
Jul 21, 2007

Update 51: Hammer To Fall

Welcome back, everyone. In the last update we fought three unskippable battles while on our way to Barnicia Castle. The last one of which was against a so far mostly irrelevant Dark Knight. Which serves as a nice prelude for next few fights. While all this was going on a still unseen legion of ours was somewhere else drawing the Dark Knights attention. This was all part of Denam's plan to make it to the castle undetected.

Barnicia Castle: Former seat of power in Old Barnicia. Its walls still bear the scars of the "Water that Burns," flaming balls of tar that were used to lay siege to the castle during the war.

I like that the description for every castle in the game is basically, the castle has thick walls that were beat to poo poo in the last war.

Now, on to the castle.

Plenty.

Lower your weapons and surrender at once! Your lives will be spared!

As you spared the lives of Oz and Ozma!? Let's show them Loslorien's true mettle, boys!

Nothing to exciting here. Just a bunch a dudes we got to kill. You might think there is something interesting with those three wingedman up on the wall there. But no. They will just fly down on their first turn.

In addition to the Templars the enemy have a couple Iron Golems. They're pretty beefy, so we put the golemy skill on Voltare that way his hammer will do more damage to the golems. This will make the fight go a lot faster.

This fight is boring, so we're skipping to the end.

Surely that Dark Knight who escaped would have given them warning?

No idea why Andoras would not report back to the rest of the Dark Knights? I can't think of a single reason why.

Congratulations

Someone whispers to the Almoricans?

Who, the regent? That fond of us, is he?

Just a reminder, Barbas is the one who lead the attack on the Rhime at the end of chapter 2. He's a pretty big dude.

Do not be so eager to die, Barbas. They're not the rabble they once were.

You call me weak.

I call you foolish if you think you face children down there.

But face them we must! It's only a question of whether we end this here, or in Heim.

Surely you aren't suggesting we quit these islands entirely? We have not yet lost, and you would leave without a fight!?

I fear that even were we to place Catiua upon the throne, it would not bring an end to the unrest.

Does anyone else think it's awkward that they're talking about Catiua and she is just standing there not saying anything?

Precisely why we must crush them here and now!

Surely you haven't forgotten our true goal, Barbas! The rule of Valeria is but one step along our path. If we retreat now, our losses would be trivial. The high priest has commanded as much!

It seems Barbas does not care for politics or politicians.

Enough, Barbas! Or it may be your head upon the pike.

Bah. Speak the truth, Lanselot! You don't want to lose favor with the Senate.

The magic sword they stole. That's still a plot point.

Speaking of which, I received word from Balxephon.

Again? What would he have us do now? Wrest the firmament from its perch?

Oh, we're here.

Lanselot and Catiua begin to leave. While ignoring Denam of course.

I leave this in your hands.

My hands will be happy to show them the difference between knights... and children.

We leave now, Catiua.

She did it! Catiua managed to not say a single word during the entire scene. Not even a "...".

Barbas doesn't care that he can technically only jump down 3 unnamed height units at a time.

Reinforcements come pouring in.

Look, Denam's trying to :iceburn: someone.

Oh poo poo! He's got a gun in a fantasy setting. He's either has the power of a god in his hand or he's holding a useless trinket.

Of course you do not. This marvelous weapon is called a "fusil," and it's far more powerful than any sorcery!

Trinket it is.

Fie! Worthless, bedeviled contraption! You! Get him out of here.

And by "him," he means the gun. Important lesson: Templars aren't people, guns are people.

As I was saying, contraptions are well and good, but a true knight fights with a sword!

Laughing at his own joke. He's so proud of himself for that one.

Let's go to the map.

Here's the deal. Normally we would need to get our units that currently at point 1 over to point 3 to kill our target. The problem is that all these walls are too tall to jump over. Don't let Barbas base jumping stunt fool you this game does have a maximum jump and fall height for each unit. Everyone on the field, with one exception, has a max jump height of 2. Which means since we can't jump over the walls we would have to take the long way (aka following the green arrows). But that's long and boring. Instead we're going to make Barbas come to us (via the yellow arrow).

Denam starts at point 2 on the map above and away from everyone else because of the cutscene, but we can use this to our advantage. We can use him as a decoy to distract some of the Templars. Also we will send Hobyrim and Buluru over to assist.

Prowler is that exception I mentioned above. He can jump up to 3, but that doesn't matter. He has Leaping Monkey which means he can ignore terrain height any way. Maybe is secretly a ninja.

He's going to be our bait to lure Barbas back to our starting position. He is not going to jump up now because some of the Templers have crossbows, and hugging the walls will keep him out of their firing range.

Since Canopus can fly he could also go over the walls at anytime. However, he doesn't have Steelstance or any other defensive move and there are a lot of Templers up there.

One of the longbow archers attacks Prowler. Feeding him much need TP.

A few moments later, Barbas moves forward and tries his hand at magic.

He's really bad at it.

With our target now in sight it's time to set up the first phase of our trap.

Prowler is into position to lure Barbas and he puts up his guard.

Canopus takes out the injured Templar.

With our bait in position we have nothing to do but sit back and wait.

The enemy assault on Prowler begins.

Steelstance is the best.

On the otherside of the field, Denam and co have been doing their job of drawing attention of a few wayward Templers.

Sometimes attention hurts.

The enemy AI is having a hard time responding to our tactics.

On his second turn, Barbas goes after Prowler and crits. Thank goodness for Steelstance. Without it Barbas's normal attacks were doing about 95 to Prowler. That crit would have flattened him in one blow.

In anticipation we move Mirdyn and Gildas into intercept position.

Prowler falls back to bait our trap.

Now, we wait.

More waiting...

Still more waiting...

What's this! Our trap has caught an unexpected fly.

He and his Rampart Aura are going to be here for awhile.

Here he comes!

He's here! Now we can kill him.

Mirdyn goes first. Unfortunately, he is completely blocked in by that one Templar's Rampart Aura. So he's on heal-bot duty.

Prowler is next.

Barbas is a beefy dude with lots of HP, defense, and a couple ranks in Parry. He's not going down easy.

After getting his swings in, Prowler steps back to let some other people do something for once.

Remember earlier in the update when I said that I put golemy on Voltare. Well to do that I took off Truestrike, and of course I forgot to put it back on before the battle. Needless to say Voltare isn't going to able hit Barbas at this rate.

So, we have him use Instill Light on Gildas. Because why not.

Staticpulse gets a hit in on Barbas.

But Barbas's counter gives back more than he received. Ouch. Now you can see why we're using knights to fight Barbas. Even his couterattacks hurt.

Canopus turns up the drama for this one.

What have you done with Lanselot? What have you done with my brother!?

And Gildas instantly knocks it down.

Quiet, you!

A bird's place is the stewpot, not the battlefield.

I'll peck your eyes out for that! Mind your taunts. They always come home to roost!

We use one of Canopus's skills to give Voltare Truestrike. Mabye now he can actually hit something.

...odd. You'd think such a pock-marked pisswater face would leave a stronger impression!

Xenobian! Why aren't you dead yet?

Did I mention Gildas is the best? Because he is.

Martym...? You speak of Martym! So you're the knight who begged for your life at the point of his sword!

Do you repeat every lie you're told in this fashion? By my honor, if you know what that is, 'twas your fool of a friend who cried mercy.

A fine tale. May it keep you company in your grave!

Gildas's wordplay might be excellent in this fight, but his swordplay is a little lacking.

Rhime? Ah, yes. You failed to defend her, as I recall, knight. How are you with other ladies? You must disappoint them as well/

I'd be more worried about my own fortunes in love, were I you.

Mirdyn for all his boosting is still being blocked by Rampart Aura.

Not going down without a fight Barbas uses one of the hammer finishing moves to take out Leal and severely hurt two others. It's a pretty good finisher.

Thoroughly buffed, Voltare shows what our hammer Knight can do.

Truestrike makes all the difference.

Air-touched helps too.

Wait, Barbas!

With that Barbas flees.

Congratulations

At this point I realized I forgot something. I redid the fight the long and tedious way. Making sure to kill the Templar that Barbas handed the fusil to.

Look out world. Things are going to be different now. We got a gun! That no one can equip or use.

Next Time: SISSSTTTTEEEEERRRR!!!!!!! Also Lanselot.